Where did it start to go wrong?

Duck

Just looking at our current situation and trying to pin it on a specific moment when we started to go backwards instead of forwards.

For me looking back the moment we started to lose it was the 6-0 defeat at home to Newcastle, 22nd August 2010. O'Neill had just left, macdonald, houllier and Mcallister would take over during the season. We only gathered 19 points after that before the new year. 

We finished the season 9th after a winning run towards the end, but the turmoil had thrown is completely. The spending was cut back the following summer and we are where we are. 

Before this point I think we were actually getting into a good place.

Interested to see when the rest of you would consider a turning point, if you had to choose a specific place in time.

When Carew picked up that ballboy in the 5-1 vs Sha. I've always thought that was the crest of the wave of the MON era and arguably the Lerner era. 
It's been down-hill ever since.

Edited by TheAuthority
Keyboard dyslexia

When Houllier and his poor health left the club. This could have been Garde all those years ago! Think Houllier could have improved the club all round.  If only and how many times over the years have we said that!

It's started going wrong in 2010 when Lerner decided he was done with paying Premier League wages. Ever since we've done nothing but sell our best players and replace them with inferior cheaper ones. Now 6 years later the chickens have finally come home to roost and we're staring relegation in the face. 

Our decline is 100% down to Lerner's disinterest in the club. Shame on him. 

• Like 3

id say in 1993. (i was 7) my dad and brother tell me i must pick a team to follow. villa had the irish connection, townsend, houghton, mc grath and staunton so that was one of the main reasons i  picked them. 2 throphies in the following years, but its been going downhill ever since 

after MON left and Lerner decided he can afford to buy a football club but he cant afford the day to day running costs.

People say MON spent too much money but he spent that money and we were up there with the other clubs that spend money.Now we spend a lot less and guess what,

we are down there with the other clubs that dont spend a lot,in fact we are even below clubs like Bournmouth,Norwich and Watford.

Its quite simple really.The clubs at the top spend more than the clubs at the bottom.Hopefully we can match the spending of the clubs in the championship ?!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

When Houllier and his poor health left the club. This could have been Garde all those years ago! Think Houllier could have improved the club all round.  If only and how many times over the years have we said that!

Yeah, well some mug decided to employ a man with heart problems in the first place.... another great decision from the top. Houllier's tenure was never gonna end any other way.