Where did it start to go wrong?

Duck

For me failing to appoint someone to the board with football knowledge and instead relying on General Clueless.  MON spent what they allowed him to - a football man might have said "Emile Heskey? hmmm I don't think so" etc etc

• Like 1

You could argue it was the day MON was appointed. If we had appointed a better manager and given him the budget MON had then things could have been so much better. Instead MON wasted millions, achieved very little and then left the club in a mess.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, villa89 said:

You could argue it was the day MON was appointed. If we had appointed a better manager and given him the budget MON had then things could have been so much better. Instead MON wasted millions, achieved very little and then left the club in a mess.

A continental manager at this time would have been the start of something big. All O'Neil did was tempt grafters here with big transfers and equivalent salaries. Not really a master stroke of signing players. Houllier (without his heart troubles) instead of O'Neil, to this day I believe we would have been top 6 all the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

For me failing to appoint someone to the board with football knowledge and instead relying on General Clueless.  MON spent what they allowed him to - a football man might have said "Emile Heskey? hmmm I don't think so" etc etc

Ironically, it is reported in todays B/mail that Remi has said he is glad there are no football people on the board ........so he can now get on with it.

I would wager that most of the great managers of the past would wish for the same thing.

The only time you need board interference/involvement is when the manager is not good enough to make good decisions.....in which case the obvious course of action is necessary, sooner rather than later.

Mon was allowed to spend what he wanted to......but they thought they were getting players better than Heskey, but lets be fair, there was a fair few like that.....thats what probably spooked the owner.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Ironically, it is reported in todays B/mail that Remi has said he is glad there are no football people on the board ........so he can now get on with it.

I would wager that most of the great managers of the past would wish for the same thing.

The only time you need board interference/involvement is when the manager is not good enough to make good decisions.....in which case the obvious course of action is necessary, sooner rather than later.

Mon was allowed to spend what he wanted to......but they thought they were getting players better than Heskey, but lets be fair, there was a fair few like that.....thats what probably spooked the owner.

Do you know Hollis personally. because you don't half defend him. Hollis is here to restrict the spending power, something I know Remi would not agree with. Remi has already as good as said he has his hands tied.

We need a football man here to convince Lerner you are not going to win football matches without spending money. If Hollis thinks he can make enough money marketing us to start spending again he is blinded by simple business acumen.

Its a joke he thinks we are going to be a huge marketing tool as we prepare for the Championship. Hull/Middlesborough are top of the Championship and apart from the fans no one really gives a f*** about them.

Best plan of action if you want to market the club to make money, is do everything you can to stay in the biggest league in the world, Hollis are you listening.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

It undoubtedly got worse after O'Neil but I think despite 6-6-6 which was great in terms of results( away) not necessarily performances or at home....Too many duds changed the owners outlook and it has got progressively worse.

The first 3 years there was not much adverse about RL......It was only when we started to realise that the players we were buying in general were not up to scratch, that it started to go pear shaped.

22 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Do you know Hollis personally. because you don't half defend him. Hollis is here to restrict the spending power, something I know Remi would not agree with. Remi has already as good as said he has his hands tied.

We need a football man here to convince Lerner you are not going to win football matches without spending money. If Hollis thinks he can make enough money marketing us to start spending again he is blinded by simple business acumen.

Its a joke he thinks we are going to be a huge marketing tool as we prepare for the Championship. Hull/Middlesborough are top of the Championship and apart from the fans no one really gives a f*** about them.

Best plan of action if you want to market the club to make money, is do everything you can to stay in the biggest league in the world, Hollis are you listening.

I have never heard of Hollis until now, but I find it hard to blame a guy that has just stepped in to c 10 years of ineptitude.

Hollis is working to a Randy Lerner brief.....and Randy Lerners brief has derived from years of buying poor players.Hollis is just the messenger.

who do you blame?.....its a comedy of errors for me, but there is only one man that can properly change it.

However its now become a paradox.....even with the money no one wants to come right now unless you pay extortionate fee's & wages.

Ps incidentially, I was quoting Remi.....not necessarily my opinion, but it could be.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Duck said:

Just looking at our current situation and trying to pin it on a specific moment when we started to go backwards instead of forwards.

For me looking back the moment we started to lose it was the 6-0 defeat at home to Newcastle, 22nd August 2010. O'Neill had just left, macdonald, houllier and Mcallister would take over during the season. We only gathered 19 points after that before the new year. 

We finished the season 9th after a winning run towards the end, but the turmoil had thrown is completely. The spending was cut back the following summer and we are where we are. 

Before this point I think we were actually getting into a good place.

Interested to see when the rest of you would consider a turning point, if you had to choose a specific place in time.

The thing that was significant about that game for me, was......If you build something after 4 years in charge and  6-6-6 suggest you have at least built a side who can get results even if the football was a bit basic.....you don't lose 6-0 after you have just left.

When Saunders left equally under a cloud....He said this team will run itself for 12 months.....and he was right......that was the legacy of a proper team.

Edited by TRO

43 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'm sure every manager would like "no interference". Trouble is they are only worried about next saturdays result and there is no one worrying about next year or the year after that.

Lerner rocked up with literally no knowledge of football at all - he more than anyone needed someone to hold his hand and look out for the best interests of the club

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaCas said:

I'm sure every manager would like "no interference". Trouble is they are only worried about next saturdays result and there is no one worrying about next year or the year after that.

Lerner rocked up with literally no knowledge of football at all - he more than anyone needed someone to hold his hand and look out for the best interests of the club

I concur

and Steve Stride could have helped him.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

He took us from relegation battle to top 4 challenger in 12 months. I doubt many managers could have done that. He then kept us challenging for the top 4 and getting more points for the next few seasons. He wasted money, just like every manager that's ever worked. 

It all went wrong with Houllier IMO. Had we replaced MON with a manager capable of working here for a few years we could have sorted our issues out while remaining fairly competitive. Instead we became a mess within 12 months and resorted to desperate measures with the plans under Mcleish and Lambert. 

• Like 2

I think the Mon era  is a very difficult to get a measured point across because of 6-6-6 but IMO there were pot holes in that, (but compared with now it was wonderland, but everything is relative)......... because ever since its got worse and that takes your eye off what was also wrong then.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

He took us from relegation battle to top 4 challenger in 12 months. I doubt many managers could have done that. He then kept us challenging for the top 4 and getting more points for the next few seasons. He wasted money, just like every manager that's ever worked. 

It all went wrong with Houllier IMO. Had we replaced MON with a manager capable of working here for a few years we could have sorted our issues out while remaining fairly competitive. Instead we became a mess within 12 months and resorted to desperate measures with the plans under Mcleish and Lambert. 

Thanks, saved me writing something similar. 

Taking us from top 6 challengers to relegation strugglers in a few short months with basically the same squad that MON had assembled was a complete disaster for the club and we haven't recovered since.

• Like 1

On 30/01/2016 at 02:35, Richie k said:

id say in 1993. (i was 7) my dad and brother tell me i must pick a team to follow. villa had the irish connection, townsend, houghton, mc grath and staunton so that was one of the main reasons i  picked them. 2 throphies in the following years, but its been going downhill ever since 

Our lowest league position from 1996 to 2002 was 8th,  Hardly downhill.  I'd take 8th anyday....