Ratings and Reactions: Villa v Leicester

limpid

Match Polls  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Perfomance

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

I am in a fortunate seat position whereby you can here the real 'talkers' on the pitch and we are such a quiet team!! 

If I recall correctly Garde  banned the speaking of French from the  dressing room. That would suggest that half the team will be quiet and the other half have nothing to say until they can speak good English and that alone might take a  while ;-)

Joking aside, your point is well taken. Villa lack having a number of English speaking, Premier League experienced  veterans that can leave their mark on a game with their leadership skills in play calling and strategy on the pitch especially defencively. Players like Laursen and McGrath come to mind.

Today though I thought Jores Okore put in a decent game and undoubtedly kept us in the game with his timely coverage and clearances. Could Okore be heard from where you were sitting Ferguson1 ?

The referee's failure to give penalties for Huth's arm-swinging fouls on Kozak in the  Penalty area was disgraceful.

On the bright side though the fact that Huth was paying so much attention to Kozak arguably gave Gestede just enough space  to create something and score that all important point winning goal. So Kudos  for Kozak for being in position and  taking not one  but several for the team.

Concerning Kozak, we have to remember that  the lad has  barely played  2 games  in a couple of  seasons and in the  absence of any other strikers he  needs to be given a  run in the team. As I said above, if Kozaks running of the channels  gives other opportunities for Gestede and Ayew then he should be played and today I am glad he was on the pitch.

I hope that the rumours of  his being loaned  or  sold this  transfer window are  rubbish. If Gestede or  Ayew gets injured who are you  going to play?  Gabby ? My vote is  Kozak .

• Like 1

Just now, BigAl said:
5 hours ago, YGabbana said:
Waste time with a sub Remi when you need a goal with 30 seconds left.

Mind boggled.

.Looked like a Ayew had picked up a knock and needed to come off.

I didn't notice that, hope he's OK. However, with about 30 seconds left on the clock and Leicester with an attacking throw it was the right decision regardless. We had finished for the day.

Waste time with a sub Remi when you need a goal with 30 seconds left. Mind boggled.

.Looked like a Ayew had picked up a knock and needed to come off.

I didn't notice that, hope he's OK. However, with about 30 seconds left on the clock and Leicester with an attacking throw it was the right decision regardless. We had finished for the day.

He wasn't moving properly for last few minutes before he came off could have just ran outta gas though he played his heart out.

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I still can't begin to imagine what is going through the referee's mind there. Or Robert Huth's in fact. The whole event was utterly barmy. It's as stonewall a penalty and, in my opinion, a sending off as you're ever likely to see.

You cannot, under any circumstances, make a case for that being a natural or necessary movement. He didn't need to do it either, the ball was his. I know he's a bit of a master of the dark arts but I can only think he simply lost his head there.

One of the worst refereeing performances I've ever seen and I remember Uriah Rennie all too well.

Huth did nearly the  exact same thing later on, again to Kozak.

It wasn't quite as bad, but he led with the forearm into a header.

It was a more obvious a penalty than, say, Ashley Westwood's vs Wycombe.

After watching the full game and highlights, i must say, im optimisitic. I can see us surviving if we continue to fight like we have the last 2 games and we sign a proper striker.

And some proper defenders?

And midfielders?

Them we'd be in with s chance.

7 hours ago, Daholteend said:

If I recall correctly Garde  banned the speaking of French from the  dressing room. That would suggest that half the team will be quiet and the other half have nothing to say until they can speak good English and that alone might take a  while ;-)

Joking aside, your point is well taken. Villa lack having a number of English speaking, Premier League experienced  veterans that can leave their mark on a game with their leadership skills in play calling and strategy on the pitch especially defencively. Players like Laursen and McGrath come to mind.

Today though I thought Jores Okore put in a decent game and undoubtedly kept us in the game with his timely coverage and clearances. Could Okore be heard from where you were sitting Ferguson1 ?

Honestly, no! He certainly doesn't lead or command the back line.  I'm not saying for one minute that we are a mute team overall as obviously there is pointing and organising during a game but there is no real leader. Not sure the language even comes into it? Plenty of foreign players in the league who 'boss' their team.  A commander on the pitch who influences the team and at times can influence a referee. A Joey Barton if you like!!  We really miss this I think and could be invaluable next year whatever league we are in.  

Edited by ferguson1

Hmm... I'm seeing a lot of negative comments. I don't fully understand why:

• We are playing the league leaders
  • It's a derby (of sorts) so it's always going to be scrappy
  • The ref was downright terrible
  • The conditions weren't fantastic (though I really can't tell from the coverage - it always rains over there, dunnit?)
  • We are not very good (we are bottom for a reason)

We really had nothing going for us in this match, and yes - a win would have helped our hopeless cause. But what was missing for so long in this team was confidence and effort. We have a bit of both now and, while I still see us going down, this gives me some hope that we can bounce back up.

Special mentions to:

• Kozak who, despite being obviously rusty, was enough of a handful that Huth treated his face like a painted target for his elbow.
  • Bunn for an all-round good performance with a game saving penalty denial
  • Gana for being absolutely everywhere in defensive midfield and keeping Mahrez quiet
  • Gestede for having the impact we really want from him
  • The ref for being a total word removed

12 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Am surprised at some of the posts on here tonight? We have just played a team top of the league who have just come back off a win at Spurs and we are questioning their ability and ours? Don't know how we can call them 'limited' and say that it was a really poor first half? Perhaps we were scared of their pace as shown by their goal. Don't think we should disrespect the opposition too much but perhaps give more credit to us. Bottom plays top and we did do well - just because they are Leicester and not a Man City, doesn't mean to say that we should undermine! Both Palace and Leicester have excellent away records and quite frankly our home record is appalling, so 4 points from them is better than expected. 

Exactly!! Every sane fan would have taken four points from the last two games before a ball was kicked. As fans we have to look at the overall direction of travel and for me at least its in the right direction. As ever we lack something in the final third but overall it was an excellent performance yesterday. OK some players had off days but the vitriol directed at certain players on here is astounding. For example Veretout had an excellent game against Palace but not so good against Leicester and now he is being lambasted. Personally I think he is developing into an excellent player and justifies what we spent in the summer.

The referee was appalling yesterday and I think cost us a win. The elbow in the face from Huth was little short of assault and was a straight red and a penalty. The one dive a Leicester player was pure pantomime and was again a card. Gestede handled the ball in our goal move which arguably was probably a free kick to them but given was Leicester were allowed to get way with I think probably deserved that.

I still think we will go down but FFS lets go down fighting and at least I am seeing that. Grade is imposing some discipline and organisation on a squad that was so very sadly lacking in the circus that was Sherwood's reign and arguably Lamberts. Had he been manager at the start of the season I think we would have been fine but sadly we will never know.

The media loath us for some reason, chief amongst them Mark Lawrenson who takes little short of sadistic pleasure in rubbishing us at every opportunity, but then against it gives me great pleasure to see the London / Manchester / Liverpool loving media proved wrong.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Moyes for me showing why video refs will never work, he watched the "handball" several times and doesn't know if it's a foul or not, he's then watched Huth and said "standing his ground"

Utter bollocks

Wasn't Moyes a centre back? If so there's the answer.

Fair result , made Leicester look average at best. Ref lost control of the game, very strange decisions for both teams. It wasn't even a nasty game and he managed to mess it up , if he gets one then he will mess up big time 

Having let the dust settle a few points on yesterday :

• We are showing fight. Maybe a little too late or just in time.
  • Ranieri saying Leicester deserved the win. What game was he watching?
  • The referee! I really do fear the Premiership is corrupt.
    • The handball is soft. His hands are down and making no movement towards the ball. Why the linesman is so adamant on giving that I will never know. If you really want to give it, be consistent with your involvement else you might look a little incompetent or dodgy.
    • Kozak has to be awarded the penalty. I am watching it back in disbelief as to how that isn't given. Anywhere on the pitch I would be asking questions why he hasn't been sent off. Huth has got to see red. With him off the pitch he can't commit the second foul so I won't go into that one.
    • Moyes!!!!! BBC are a disgrace and their views concern me. Of course they can't oppose every refereeing decision especially if it looks favorable on Villa.
    • When the ball has ran out of play and Vardy kicks Bacuna, I could argue that is also a red. Perhaps if Bacuna had reacted similar to the challenge by Norwichs' Gary O'Neill against Stoke. But of course king Vardy cannot do wrong.
  • Remi touched upon the media in one interview I listened to. He is so right. There is a lot of media outlets and personnel that do not like us and are willing us to go down. Talk Sport after the game were slating Villa. I think it was Sam Matterface who said the players are simply not good enough and in the same breath said we showed no fight or desire. It just screams of someone putting the boot and contradicting himself whilst doing so. If we are not good enough we must have shown some desire to pick up a point against top of the league. If Bournemouth are in that match the spiel is different. "Hard fought draw against league leaders".
  • Leicester are organised and their success revolves around big boot and chasing down the channels and the second ball up top. Not knocking because it seems to have worked.
  • We can get out of this. Come on Villa. Fight like lions. 
  • Like 1

Moyes for me showing why video refs will never work, he watched the "handball" several times and doesn't know if it's a foul or not, he's then watched Huth and said "standing his ground"

Utter bollocks

Wasn't Moyes a centre back? If so there's the answer.

That's what I mean, he has a preformed opinion on what is a foul that the majority of people wouldn't agree with, neither would the rule book, but his opinion is his interpretation of the rule book

Hence why in my opinion video refs will never work

The ref saw it, he was looking straight at it, it wasn't difficult, he didn't give it, I don't see how him looking at it on a replay or if he had been the man in the TV box making the decision he would have made a different decision, he was inept on the pitch he would have been inept on the TV, and no doubt today or tomorrow the likes of Webb on BT, that other bald clearing in the woods on sky and the muppet on TS will all be on agreeing with him