Seat68

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

AA Gill.

Meh.

He once described the Welsh as being "loquacious, dissemblers, immoral liars, stunted, bigoted, dark, ugly, pugnacious little trolls". Can't think why Chrisp65 should be unimpressed... :)

I didn't realise he used to be married to the current Home Secretary. 

• Like 1

An all up pleasant chap.

restaurant critic AA Gill said he shot a baboon on safari "to get a sense of what it might be like to kill someone".

In a Sunday Times column, Gill recounted in detail how he shot the creature from 250 yards while hunting in "a truck full of guns and other blokes" in Tanzania. He said he felt the urge to be "a recreational primate killer" 

Gill wrote: "I took him just below the armpit. He slumped and slid sideways. I'm told they can be tricky to shoot: they run up trees, hang on for grim life. They die hard, baboons. But not this one. A soft-nosed .357 blew his lungs out."

"I know perfectly well there is absolutely no excuse for this," he wrote. "There is no mitigation. Baboon isn't good to eat, unless you're a leopard. The feeble argument of culling and control is much the same as for foxes: a veil for naughty fun. I wanted to get a sense of what it might be like to kill someone, a stranger.

Good with words describing food, but a bit of a prick.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Been retired 18 years! I didn't think it was that long

Yes I was thinking the same and thought maybe 10 years. I wouldn't know who most of the weather forecasters are now if they walked past me in the street aside from Des on the local Central news who is a bit of a character.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2016 at 20:52, markavfc40 said:

Yes I was thinking the same and thought maybe 10 years. I wouldn't know who most of the weather forecasters are now if they walked past me in the street aside from Des on the local Central news who is a bit of a character.

Local weather presenters are always better. We have Keeley Donovan - older VTers might know how she has a Villa connection. 

keeley-donovan-4.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Local weather presenters are always better. We have Keeley Donovan - older VTers might know how she has a Villa connection. 

keeley-donovan-4.jpg

She had a stint doing the North East weather, till she went back to covering Yorkshire and Humberside. She's greatly missed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

She had a stint doing the North East weather, till she went back to covering Yorkshire and Humberside. She's greatly missed.

I assume you've still got Paul Mooney though?   :crylaugh:

Something I was curious about - have more 'famous' people died this year than others? An article on BBC today suggests they have;

Pre-prepared BBC obituaries that ran on television, radio and online

2012: Etta James, Davy Jones, Eve Arnold, Bob Holness, Whitney Houston, Neil Armstrong, Donna Summer, Robin Gibb, Ravi Shankar, Larry Hagman, Vidal Sassoon, Gore Vidal, Gerry Anderson, Andy Williams

January to March: Five

April to December: Nine

Total: 16

2013: Frank Thornton, Richard Griffiths, Michael Winner, Tony Gubba, Hugo Chavez, Kenny Ball, Robert Kee, Richard Briers, David Coleman, Ronnie Biggs, Peter O'Toole, Nelson Mandela, Baroness Thatcher, John Taverner, John Cole, Lou Reed, David Jacobs, Sir David Frost, Seamus Heaney, Cliff Morgan, Mel Smith, Alan Whicker, Tom Sharpe

January to March: Eight

April to December: 15

Total: 24

2014: Ariel Sharon, Run Run Shaw, Sir Tom Finney, Sir Christopher Chataway, Simon Hoggart, Elizabeth Jane Howard, Eusebio, Tony Benn, Clarissa Dickinson-Wright, Roger Lloyd Pack, Shirley Temple, Maya Angelou, Lauren Bacall, Richard Attenborough, Joan Rivers, Lynda Bellingham, Acker Bilk, PD James, Joe Cocker, Billie Whitelaw, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Eli Wallach, Saeed Jaffrey, Robin Williams, Rik Mayall, Sir Jack Brabham, The Lord Bannside (Ian Paisley), Sir Donald Sinden, Jeremy Lloyd

January to March: 11

April to December: 18

Total: 29

2015: Geradine McEwan, Richard Meade, Derek Chinnery, Lee Kuan Yew, Terry Pratchett, Demis Roussos, King Abdullah, Rod McKuen, Dan Topolski, Leon Brittan, Sam Simon, Leonard Nimoy, Richie Benaud, Jimmy Hill, Keith Michell, Sue Lloyd-Roberts, Omar Sharif, Cilla Black, BB King, Lemmy Kilmister, Warren Mitchell, Colin Welland, Maureen O'Hara, Brian Sewell, George Cole, Val Doonican, Christopher Lee, Hugh Scully, Baron (Geoffrey) Howe, Baron (Denis) Healey, Charles Kennedy, Nicholas Winton

January to March: 12

April to December: 20

Total: 32

2016:Ed Stewart, Baron (Cecil) Parkinson, Paul Daniels, Cliff Michelmore, Lord Avebury (Eric Lubbock), Nancy Reagan, Pierre Boulez, David Bowie, Frank Finlay, Alan Rickman, Sir Terry Wogan, Margaret Forster, John Chilton, Ronnie Corbett, Zaha Hadid, Barry Hines, Peter Maxwell Davies, Harper Lee, Sir George Martin, Robert Stigwood, Glenn Frey, Boutros Boutros Ghali, Tony Warren, Victoria Wood, Garry Shandling, Leonard Cohen, Andrew Sachs, Gene Wilder, Caroline Aherne, Muhammad Ali, Carla Lane, Prince, Sir Jimmy Young, Fidel Castro, Robert Vaughn, Arnold Palmer, Elie Wiesel, Shimon Peres, Burt Kwouk, Peter Shaffer, Greg Lake, Peter Vaughan

January to March: 24

April to December: 18

Total: 42