Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

Look we need a total rebuild of the squad, probably more so than any team in the league, and we're obviously working on it. 

But thinking a team thrown together when the season has already started will gel from the get go is just silly.

Benteke took a month or 2 to start firing, some players take longer, some shorter. A completely rebuilt team (and imo we need this) will take how long to start firing?

We might have changed our goal from promotion to to half finish and then by all means no rush.

But if we aim to get promoted we can't afford to drop too many points at the start of the season, especially since the team has a shaky confidence from last season and many of the fans are still fuming at the players from last season.

We still have time, but the work needed is immense.

20 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The work needed was, IMO, always too much. It was always inevitable that things would take longer than many hoped and that one summer wouldn't be enough. 

No matter how much we want it, you can't force things to happen. They happen when they happen. 

If we go out and beat Sheffield Wednesday on opening day, will anybody give a **** anyway? On the pitch is where it counts. 

The problem is, we didn't go down due to a bit of bad luck, it was a slow and painful decline that ended up in the worst management, the worst player performances i've ever seen at this club. 

IF we had a team that was average but motivated, that did its best but lacked a bit if depth and quality had some bad luck with injuries etc etc then you could imagine we would could potentially get promotion relatively easily, with a little luck and investment in the team.

But the entire squad is jaded and lacks confidence, just to build up team spirit and belief alone takes time, no doubt RDM can manage it but it won't happen quickly. We will be starting the season without the players we need and with (some/most) of the players we don't, I genuinely believe we won't have the squad in place and the team unity and confidence until January and the final run in will probably be for a play off place, unless we get some extreme luck.

Of course anything can happen, but the reality is the players we least want to leave are going to move on. Plus the idiots that relegated us will not leave easily.

I have faith we'll get there, but to expect we'll go straight back up and start the season with a team capable of winning the league seems unrealistic. Especially seeing as all we will be doing in the next few weeks is replacing the likes of Gil, Gana, Vertout, Sanchez, Sinclair and maybe Ayew. Rather than adding quality to the little bit we had.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

The problem is, we didn't go down due to a bit of bad luck, it was a slow and painful decline that ended up in the worst management, the worst player performances i've ever seen at this club. 

IF we had a team that was average but motivated, that did its best but lacked a bit if depth and quality had some bad luck with injuries etc etc then you could imagine we would could potentially get promotion relatively easily, with a little luck and investment in the team.

But the entire squad is jaded and lacks confidence, just to build up team spirit and belief alone takes time, no doubt RDM can manage it but it won't happen quickly. We will be starting the season without the players we need and with (some/most) of the players we don't, I genuinely believe we won't have the squad in place and the team unity and confidence until January and the final run in will probably be for a play off place, unless we get some extreme luck.

Of course anything can happen, but the reality is the players we least want to leave are going to move on. Plus the idiots that relegated us will not leave easily.

I have faith we'll get there, but to expect we'll go straight back up and start the season with a team capable of winning the league seems unrealistic. Especially seeing as all we will be doing in the next few weeks is replacing the likes of Gil, Gana, Vertout, Sanchez, Sinclair and maybe Ayew. Rather than adding quality to the little bit we had.

I tend to agree. 

I don't blame Tony Xia or RDM for that though as some seem to be implying. 

• Like 1

Funny how some of these players now leaving have developed a sudden elevated reputation.

If these perceptions are true.....what happened to team work.

something was clearly amiss, when they played together.

ps we supposedly have a bunch of players that Will be much better with better players around them.....what a paradox.

Edited by TRO

24 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

All gone quiet on ravel Morrison. Have to say when he followed the club on Twitter I expected it all to be wrapped up soon. 

Kodja aswell.

Think what we have now is what we'll have to put out in Sheffield bar a couple more departures.

I do expect a signing or two in the lead up to Rotherham game.

Mourinho has (according to reports...) told (Bastian Schweinsteiger)  Adnan Januzaj, Tim Fosu-Mensah, Paddy McNair, Tyler Blackett, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, Andreas Pereira, Will Keane and James Wilson o find new clubs. Either permanent or on loan.

Anyone worth scavenging? 

• Like 2

Just now, sne said:

Mourinho has (according to reports...) told (Bastian Schweinsteiger)  Adnan Januzaj, Tim Fosu-Mensah, Paddy McNair, Tyler Blackett, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, Andreas Pereira, Will Keane and James Wilson o find new clubs. Either permanent or on loan.

Anyone worth scavenging? 

James Wilson is sorting a loan deal out as we speak but dont think its Villa

38 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I tend to agree. 

I don't blame Tony Xia or RDM for that though as some seem to be implying. 

God no, i think they've already done well with the signings so far. Tony Xia seems to be trying maybe too hard to get us on side whilst I think RDM is a little more cautious, but i feel a hell of a lot more confident about where the club is heading under them. And I totally get the impatience, we all want things to get better as quickly as possible after 5+ years of horrible football and failure.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Anyone worth scavenging? 

Never going to happen but Schweinstiger would be the best midfielder in the league by a country mile