Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

6 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Not been terribly impressed with Bamford.  Seems to have been passed around on loan forever with no-one ever thinking he's good enough to take permanently, so not sure why we should.  And seems to have a championship ceiling, so isn't going to be much use next year (hopefully).

Not sure what the case was at Norwich but I thought he left Palace because he wasn't getting game time to prove himself (I could be wrong though)

Maybe he just needs a platform to show what he can do.

Bamford seems to have hit a wall and comes across as a bit of a dick.

I just don't understand how a kid can be banging in goals for fun, then signs a bumper new contract making him a multi millionaire and then his performances go to shit.

Just can't understand it...

Going on loan is tricky for young players especially if you're a striker .

You need the manager to trust you and regular opportunities.

Just look at Guidetti who was amazing at Feyenoord, did nothing at Stoke and was decent at Celtic.

He's now doing very well at Celta after a shaky start. Right place at the right time is key

£10M is about the going rate for a Championship goalscorer. If we wanted someone like Rhodes or the guy from Fulham it would probably cost closer to £15M. We either have the choice of paying big for someone proven in this division or take a gamble on someone doing well from a lower league or abroad.

from what I have seen Bamford be a player in the Jerome bracket, very good in Championship but in top flight he wont be able to get enough goals. loan be best option for me

Why am I seeing Twitter rumours that we are in advanced talks with Daniel Ayala from Boro for 9m? Why on earth would he swap the prem for us and why would they let him go to us after he was in the championship team of the season?

i smell bull faeces.

2 minutes ago, sonic_bouma said:

Why am I seeing Twitter rumours that we are in advanced talks with Daniel Ayala from Boro for 9m? Why on earth would he swap the prem for us and why would they let him go to us after he was in the championship team of the season?

i smell bull faeces.

...and why would we spend £9m on him.

He is utter pap.

49 minutes ago, Zatman said:

from what I have seen Bamford be a player in the Jerome bracket, very good in Championship but in top flight he wont be able to get enough goals. loan be best option for me

Just hilarious.  Bamford is a 1 in 2 striker when he plays (pretty much) - Jerome is more Agbonlahor standard.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Incredibly harsh?

The guy has been trying to get first team football to prove he's good enough at every single opportunity.  He was Championship Player of The Year and subsequently got rewarded by a new contract at Chelsea - but continued to go ahead with loans out to try and establish himself.  Didn't get enough game time at Palace so cancelled his loan and moved to Norwich instead.

I love that people are saying he's not good enough for the Premier League.  This is a guy who is 22 and has played a whopping 355 minutes of Premier League football.

Yet people really seem to want us to spend more than his rumoured value on Jordan Rhodes or Ross McCormack - **** hilarious VT as usual :D

I wouldn't want us to spent £10m on any of them. Rhodes I have never rated, and McCormack has talent but lacks of application.

If we could get Bamford on loan then I would be for it. £10m is a huge price to be fair.

Edited by rodders0223

1 hour ago, rubberman said:

I acknowledge his good record in the championship, but 5 loans in as many years?  Something must be a bit iffy - even if it's just that his salary is unaffordable.

Harry Kane went on 4 loans in 3 years. Had an identical spell at Norwich where he never got to play and even dropped back down to the Championship with Leicester and saw little game time. Do you need to be reminded where he is now? Bamford's loans on the whole have been a lot more impressive than Kane's and a loan spell in the PL where he never got the chance to even play doesn't change that. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rob182 said:

The tour guide must have told a few people. I only found out that info this morning from a guy at work, and I didn't tweet it, and I hadn't read it on Twitter.

can't help but think if they were signing, there would be announcements already, so I reckon the youth player suggestion of Hanoi is most likely explanation as it is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Just hilarious.  Bamford is a 1 in 2 striker when he plays (pretty much) - Jerome is more Agbonlahor standard.

Come on now, Jerome is a 1 in 2 striker in the Championship. Just as Bamford is.

What I would say if that Jerome is never going to score goals in the PL, Bamford has a bit of leeway in that regard.

• Like 1

From what I was told from a boro supporting mate he does seem to be one of those players who can be very handy in the championship but lack that certain something needed to make the step up.

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

From what I was told from a boro supporting mate he does seem to be one of those players who can be very handy in the championship but lack that certain something needed to make the step up.

May well be the case, but impossible to know given:

a]  Middlesbrough didn't have Patrick Bamford in the Premier League - in the Championship, he won POTY.

b]  He's barely had the chance to play in the Premier League.

and let's not forget when discussing this transfer, that:

c]  We're in the Championship.

Edit:  It also amuses me that your mate would witness a player playing in his own team get voted POTY, but then come to say he "lacks that certain something to make the step up".  Imagine if Hepburn-Murphy scored 17 goals in 38 next season and won that award.  Who is going to come on VT and post "yeah mate, but he's never going to be Premier League standard". :D 

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 2