The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Me too. He's won me over, slowly (very **** slowly!).

Scary though isn't it, I liked the last two as well.

Yep it's been a slow burner for me too. I didn't like Sherwood at all, was happy to be proved wrong for a few months but in the end it was worse than I thought it could be. Lambert, I think I backed him for too long... I really wanted him to do well as I liked him. Shame.

Garde seems to slowly be changing the mentality of the team and the way we play, which is good. And I like the way he talks.. Oh and under performers finally get dropped!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Do you have a link to his comments?

i cant answer for him, but i agree with what he said as I got the same impressions from Garde. The pre/post game interviews is the only thing i really look at and obviously he has to be quite diplomatic with what he says due to the state that we are in and the avenue that he has. But if the question why someone hasn't been starting, why they havent been on the bench  yet or somethin similar turns up he is the person that would just say that they haven't performed in training or haven't impressed him enough yet, which is alot more that some managers would say.

Edited by tomaspg

The job he's had to do is akin to taking over the wheels of an 18 wheeler that's about to veer right off a sharp turn on a bridge and into the water below. He's slowly getting the truck back on track but unfortunately for him it has the turning circle of Rudy Gestede and he's quickly running out of road. It looks a valiant effort, but one that is likely to fail but you can bet that he hasn't given up hope that he can turn it around, and he might yet do so.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Do you have a link to his comments?

I am unsure how to do links but post match last night he questioned our first half performance, said something along the lines of ' jack did not show me what I wanted to see'.

In previous games  he has questioned their effort, fight and ability to carry out his tactical instructions.

I for one find it reassuring he is seeing and telling it as it is. I am sure previous managers have also, but their public backing and ignorance of what was blatantly there to see drove me mad!

To be fair Sherwood towards the end was equally as honest but as previously discussed this was possibly a self preservation tactic?

1 minute ago, JP1982 said:

To be fair Sherwood towards the end was equally as honest but as previously discussed this was possibly a self preservation tactic?

I think criticism has to be constructive. From what I've seen of Garde's comments his criticism is always that. So far.

• Like 2

What annoys me about journalists is that they seem to have 2 or 3 ways of asking the same question.

so when the manager "avoids" the question they can ask it again in a different way

when the manager answers the question they ask the question again as if to get "more" out of them or try to get them to contradict themselves.

knobheads all of them

I've never heard of a journalist who either won a trophy, wrote a hit record, acted in a great movie, broke a world speed record or did brain surgery

free-loaders the lot of them

Edited by Grasshopper

9 hours ago, av1 said:

Some advice on tactics from some insane women behind me in Holte this evening:

'Pretend your margarine and spread out'

Thankfully the vast swathes of empty seats meant I could move. 

You have shown that 8/10 fans CAN tell talk from nutter.( One for the oldies there).

Wasn't ( still aren't) convinced Garde was either a particularly well thought out, or appropriate, choice, but didn't think he was hopeless either.

Like most people I've been wanting to see signs of improvement, not just, or even not especially, in results, but in performances, shape, desire, some semblance of vision, order, discipline, and so on.

There have been one or two brighter moments but on the whole until recently I think one has had to look hard for any genuinely encouraging signs.

Just lately though, results are obviously better, he seems to be consolidating his persona as no- nonsense and straight talking, he appears to have filtered out our best Eleven, and so on.

So, whilst I still don't think he should be guaranteed a job until the end of the season, ( just because weve already changed etc), I am starting to think he may be earning the position on merit.

Which, if nothing else, and if only temporary, is a relief !

9 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Wasn't ( still aren't) convinced Garde was either a particularly well thought out, or appropriate, choice, but didn't think he was hopeless either.

Like most people I've been wanting to see signs of improvement, not just, or even not especially, in results, but in performances, shape, desire, some semblance of vision, order, discipline, and so on.

There have been one or two brighter moments but on the whole until recently I think one has had to look hard for any genuinely encouraging signs.

Just lately though, results are obviously better, he seems to be consolidating his persona as no- nonsense and straight talking, he appears to have filtered out our best Eleven, and so on.

So, whilst I still don't think he should be guaranteed a job until the end of the season, ( just because weve already changed etc), I am starting to think he may be earning the position on merit.

I disagree, I don't think you have to look hard to see genuinely encouraging signs. I think now he is starting to approach the same number of games as Sherwood the differences are almost night and day.

It might still be quite early but I think we have a manager to believe in with is exciting.

• Like 2

My point is that until recently one had to look hard. (I accept you may still not agree..)..there were signs, but not many, not massive, and not obvious.

I agree that it is clearer now but am reluctant to go overboard yet, still early days either way.

Encouragingthough, and I do, as others do, like him, which can't hurt.

10 hours ago, av1 said:

Some advice on tactics from some insane women behind me in Holte this evening:

'Pretend your margarine and spread out'

Thankfully the vast swathes of empty seats meant I could move. 

When it comes to "spreading" who better to know than an enthusiastic women?

54 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I think the encouraging signs you're talking of were there before the results started to follow.

• Like 2

Â