The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

20 hours ago, VillaCas said:

My view is that the current squad is beyond anyones abilty to deliver real improvement - I beleive that Garde was bought in to overhaul the whole set up and only then might we see some meaningful improvement longer term. This is made all the more difficult, maybe impossible by the fact that it we will be unable to attract real quality to the club now championship football is a certainty.

Additionally the coaches that Garde may of had set-up for the close season would be crazy to now come to us and so he will be working without his usual set-up

I understand that the longer we go winless the greater the pressure will be on Garde but I feel that this is a result of circumstances much of which are beyond his control

If he can't get a few more points on the board it will be interesting to see what approach Fox takes because if he has to sack Garde he really has to fall on his sword himself too as he would have appointed two complete plums in quick succession

A question for you guys - How many points does Garde need to get from the last 18 games to be allowed to lead the Championship campaign

I am not sure you can just look at points in isolation as much as the importance surrounds them.

There are many factors to consider, not to mention the fixtures themselves..... for example,we might start to improve and all the fixtures left are top teams.

I know its sort of intangible, but the improvement has to be seen on the park too......If the unforced errors cease from so many players, that in itself is progress.

Everyone, has been watching this game for so long..... we know when we are getting better..... 3 points just confirms it.

Edited by TRO

A question for you guys - How many points does Garde need to get from the last 18 games to be allowed to lead the Championship campaign

23 points minimum

Thats 50 point season form. That's what I hoped for in August, is that genuinely realistic with this squad?

Even that would take a miracle.

Now i know it's only the Birmingham Mail but they are saying our buying policy is now shifted to lower league experienced players to get us back up.  So you can't play a bit of football in the division? I think Bournemouth showed you can. If true it shows the continuing oscillating policy of the club regarding player recruitment. Young and inexperienced, or old lags.

Why then bring in a continental manager if next season we are going to have limited lower league players? And not get his assistant manager to come here?  And  why rip up the squad again when I believe a lot of the new boys have wage  reductions in event of relegation in their contracts?  Now we have got rid of most of the high earners why does Lerner want the club to be self-sufficient in the championship, when no automatic rebound promotion could kill us for a generation? 

It makes no sense. Then again nothing has since 2010.  In retrospect we should have tried to get Garde to come to us as assistant to Houllier and then promote within to try and some sort of footballing continuity. Instead of then hiring 3 British managers on the spin and then getting Garde in when it was too late.

I think what I getting to is that even is Garde is a decent manager, I doubt the club will be able to support him in the correct way. 

Edited by The Fun Factory

5 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Now i know it's only the Birmingham Mail but they are saying our buying policy is now shifted to lower experienced players to get us back up.  So you can't play a bit of football in the division? 

I don't understand how you've made that jump (assuming you meant lower LEAGUE experienced players)

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, New_Jersey_Villa said:

Little for me just tried to fix something that wasn't broken. 5-3-2 had worked very well for us. Of course signing Collymore was supposed to push us onto that next level and he tried to accommodate Yorke, Milosevic and Collymore in a 4-3-3, which just didn't work out.

I'm too young to remember Little as a player, but some of best memories of being a Villa fan are when Little was was the manager.

Only had that one league cup to show for it, but we destroyed Leeds that day. DESTROYED!!

that year we were superb. 4th spot, semi final of the cup, winning the other - fantastic. then the UEFA Cup quarter finals the next year and he got the boot?!

17 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Thats 50 point season form. That's what I hoped for in August, is that genuinely realistic with this squad?

Even that would take a miracle.

I want 23 minimum, I am not easily pleased :D

17 minutes ago, chrissmith921 said:

that year we were superb. 4th spot, semi final of the cup, winning the other - fantastic. then the UEFA Cup quarter finals the next year and he got the boot?!

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Little resign? I don't think he was sacked

4 minutes ago, chrissmith921 said:

He may have but the boot was coming - Ellis' power game always ran that way

Mind you Gregory didn't do a bad job afterwards

18 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't understand how you've made that jump (assuming you meant lower LEAGUE experienced players)

I think the point OP is trying to make is, why do you need players with Championship experience?  It suggests that they're different to Premier League players in some way - presumably because "it's a tough a league" and "you get kicked more".

Gestede has scored goals in the Championship, but I'd rather be starting with Benteke that Gestede in that league.

19 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Now i know it's only the Birmingham Mail but they are saying our buying policy is now shifted to lower league experienced players to get us back up.  So you can't play a bit of football in the division? I think Bournemouth showed you can. If true it shows the continuing oscillating policy of the club regarding player recruitment. Young and inexperienced, or old lags.

Link? Please? I couldn't find the article you're referring to.

Young or old lags? That could be less of a deliberate "buying policy" than a fact of circumstances.

3 hours ago, chrissmith921 said:

No JG was great - loved having him in charge of the club.

Point stands that Little shouldn't have ever received shit from the Holte!

Yeah I don't know anything about the incident at all, but there is no way Brian Little deserves any shit, especially from the Holte End of all places.

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

I think the point OP is trying to make is, why do you need players with Championship experience?  It suggests that they're different to Premier League players in some way - presumably because "it's a tough a league" and "you get kicked more".

Gestede has scored goals in the Championship, but I'd rather be starting with Benteke that Gestede in that league.

It appeared the point he was making was that we were signing championship players, therefore we weren't going to try and "play football" in the championship.

Which didn't make sense to me (and still doesn't)

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Garde wants rid of Nzog - refers to Nzog as an example of our long running problems - again, another reason why he is the correct manager for us.

To be honest I couldn't give a toss what rhetoric he comes out with or what he says our problems are, I'm more concerned with his 0% win ratio

• Like 1

Just now, KHV said:

To be honest I couldn't give a toss what rhetoric he comes out with or what he says our problems are, I'm more concerned with his 0% win ratio

Exactly

Sherwood came out with the soundbites as well and look where that got him! 

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Garde wants rid of Nzog - refers to Nzog as an example of our long running problems - again, another reason why he is the correct manager for us.

I want rid of Nzogbia,  I too think he is an example of our long running problems. Would I be the correct manager?

Ive seen Garde getting credit for apparently targetting better players than we have and now recognising Nzogbia is shite.  Sorry but they are no brainer decisions.  When he does something actually impressive,  like oh I dont know win a couple of league games,  then he starts to get credit for me.  Not for some rumoured thoughts he is having!

• Like 1

Â