New manager

KJT123

No compensation for Garde don't forget.

Can't believe that a 2nd and 3rd in charge would demand that much compensation, particularly with a team who stand to lose in excess of £20m+ if we go down.

We need a coach , i believe we have good players down VP, and with someone in charge who knows what they are doing, then easily a mid table team.

Anyone from Garde, Hoddle, De Boer or Moyes would do me tbh

I still know nothing about remi, other than he speaks French.  Being able to speak the native language of most our new players should help...I hope he can speak English too then its jobs a gooden.

I really look at all the managers who're available, that I actually know something about and say "no thanks" to all of them.  They're all flops / cast offs from clubs I'd like us to compete against.

I still know nothing about remi, other than he speaks French.  Being able to speak the native language of most our new players should help...I hope he can speak English too then its jobs a gooden.

I really look at all the managers who're available, that I actually know something about and say "no thanks" to all of them.  They're all flops / cast offs from clubs I'd like us to compete against.

He lived here for 3 years when playing for Arsenal of course he can speak English.

He lived here for 3 years when playing for Arsenal of course he can speak English.

Well that doesn't necessarily mean shit all, most thir squa was french.  but it'll do.

From what Auclair said on football weekly he did very well as Lyon manager.

He took over when Lyon were bleeding money and it wasn't a particularly attractive job. They were selling their best players every season, had started a youth policy to save money whilst also financing a new stadium.

He won the french cup in his first season, played good football and brought through and developed numerous youngsters. They got into the knockout stages of the champions league when "nobody gave them a chance"

Overall Auclair was hugely complimentary about him and seemed surprised that he would come to this job. But he also seemed almost certain that it WILL be Garde. 

And yes, he does speak English. Wenger signed him as the "first piece of the puzzle" at Arsenal, with the intention of him being the conduit between the manager and the french contingent in the team. He was basically a player coach by the sounds of it.

I still know nothing first hand about Garde, but Auclair is the most knowledgeable person/pundit on French football that I've heard the opinion of regarding Garde, and he only had good things to say.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Trent....you seemed pretty certain it will be Garde the other day and then said it was more of a prefernce today....Have you heard anything concrete?

I've not said its my preference, it isn't I'd prefer Moyes. But I don't think Moyes is likely for a number of reasons, I firmly believe it wil be Garde.

• Like 1

Ok maybe i should rephrase , "before he came here" ;-)

Oh, fair enough. I remember the Norwich fans highlighting that aspect. But ultimately he displayed nothing to back that up whilst here. He struggled with tactical balance from day one, so not because we 'broke him' - just that he wasn't very good. 

...and was working under serious financial restrictions leading to him having a really weak squad and having to play the likes of Weimann on the wing, don't forget that part of the story oh and then dont forget the bit about him losing his 2 top striker signings to injury for long lay offs.

He wasn't the worst tactically and will show himself to be a good manager imo, his time here was a disaster from that very first transfer window where we signed mostly gambles and created the bomb squad and he takes plenty of blame for it also but I don't see how anyone could deny that he had the hardest job out of all recent Villa managers and deserves to be cut a bit of slack with all things considered.

• Like 1

From what Auclair said on football weekly he did very well as Lyon manager.

He took over when Lyon were bleeding money and it wasn't a particularly attractive job. They were selling their best players every season, had started a youth policy to save money whilst also financing a new stadium.

He won the french cup in his first season, played good football and brought through and developed numerous youngsters. They got into the knockout stages of the champions league when "nobody gave them a chance"

Overall Auclair was hugely complimentary about him and seemed surprised that he would come to this job. But he also seemed almost certain that it WILL be Garde. 

I still know nothing first hand about Garde, but Auclair is the most knowledgeable person/pundit on French football that I've heard the opinion of regarding Garde, and he only had good things to say.

Sounds good to me.

But then the fact it's not one of the available rejects I know something about is enough for me lol.

Blind faith in someone who's doing the manager scouting / hiring I guess :)

Well that doesn't necessarily mean shit all, most thir squa was french.  but it'll do.

I'm pretty certain Wenger has always insisted the players spoke in English. I'm absolutely certain though he speaks English as there are quotes from Arsemal players about how he acted as a player coach for Wenger.

I'm not certain his English is actually any good? Could be wrong

Julien Laurens, the French journo, said he speaks "perfect" English

• Like 3

It ddoesn't have to be perfect, as long as he can articulate himself in both languages hr should get on.

You can bet Sherwood's french is worse than del boys and I'm sure that would be an issue

ESPN article..

• On Sunday, former Lyon manager Remi Garde was looking forward to paying a visit to Old Trafford, where he would commentate on Manchester United vs. Manchester City for French television

Over the last 16 months, Garde hasn't missed much of the action in the Premier League, partly due to the work commitment he took up after leaving Lyon, but also because it is his favourite league by some way and the one in which he has always dreamed to coach.

As it transpired, Garde never made it to Manchester and the French public didn't hear his voice commentating on the Manchester derby. The reason? Well, he is now the odds-on favourite to land the Aston Villa manager's job so you can put two and two together!

The aftermath of Tim Sherwood's sacking, which was announced hours before the Manchester derby, led to a change in Garde's plans. Instead of taking a position on the TV gantry, he began talks with the Villa hierarchy.

It is no surprise that Garde, 49, tops the wish list of club owner Randy Lerner and chief executive Tom Fox. Around Europe, Garde is seen as a bright and promising manager and, last season, was offered the chance to replace Alan Pardew at Newcastle. He turned the offer down. Garde was also approached by Sunderland recently, while German clubs also made enquiries over the summer.

With Lyon, Garde finished fourth, third and fifth in Ligue 1 between 2011 and 2014. He also won the French Cup in 2012, as well as the French Community Shield in the same year and then, two years later, took the team to the Europa League quarterfinal against Juventus.

Garde achieved all of this on a tight budget, as he had to compensate for the previously lavish spending by some of his managerial predecessors to balance the books. With no say, he saw Jeremy Toulalan, Miralem Pjanic, Hugo Lloris, Cris, Kim Kallstrom, Dejan Lovren and Lisandro Lopez leave.

In return for losing his best and most dependable players, Garde turned to the club's academy and gave Nabil Fekir, Clinton Njie, Jordan Ferri and Rachid Ghezzal their first professional contracts. He also launched Alexandre Lacazette's career.

Lyon played good football under Garde and club chairman Jean-Michel Aulas rated his manager so highly that he almost begged him to stay. Such was the esteem in which Garde was held that Bernard Lacombe, the club's former striker and now officially Aulas' advisor (but actually more like the club's sporting director) had a nickname for him: "Remi Gardiola".

Apart from losing on penalties to Apoel Nicosia in the 2011-12 Champions League last 16 and a League Cup final loss against PSG in 2014, Garde's time at Lyon was a success. He was one of the club's favourite children, a prodigy who had been club captain at 22 before one day returning as manager.

But after three years in charge, following many years as, among other job, academy director and first-team coach, he could not continue. He was physically and mentally drained. The pressure took its toll and the expectation, combined with the lack of resources, made for a challenging time at the club. In 2014 he decided not to renew his contract and take a sabbatical.

Lyon's 2014-15 campaign, which saw them finish second in Ligue 1 under Hubert Fournier, came from a solid foundation as Garde's legacy lived on. "Lyon benefits now from the quality of his work. It was a job where he was a lot under pressure because in Lyon the demands are very high, but he did very well" said Arsene Wenger last summer.

Garde and Wenger go back a long way. In 1996, alongside Patrick Vieira, Garde was Wenger's first signing at Arsenal and stayed three seasons at the club. Like Wenger, the midfielder had previously played for Strasbourg.

The two men had endless talks about tactics, managing and the evolution of the game through the years. They have always remained in contact and Wenger would no doubt be delighted to see one of his disciples getting the Villa job. For Garde, Wenger is more than a mentor. He is the perfection, the path to follow, the guide.

Garde has no Premier League experience as a manager but nor did Wenger. As a modern-day comparison, Slaven Bilic is proving at West Ham that it is not an issue. If a manager is good enough, he will succeed.

Garde's knowledge of English football stands him in good stead and he feels ready to take on the Villa challenge. Villa want him too and the only foreseeable issue is that he wants to take his two former assistant managers from Lyon -- Gerald Baticle and Bruno Genesio -- with him.

The problem is that they are still part of the technical staff at Lyon, who don't want to let them go, especially after each of them signed a new deal with a pay rise last summer. Could Garde accept the Villa job alone? It is hard to say. He is desperate to come back to management and sees this as a great opportunity.

His last game in England as Lyon manager was in the Europa League Round of 32 against Tottenham on Valentine's Day 2013. Aston Villa's next league game? Away to Tottenham.

Edited by avfc1982am
  • Like 4