Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

2 minutes ago, ReasonforRevolution said:

Does any feel for Garde a bit here? He seems to be working with his hands tied. For months leading up to this window he has said he wants to bring more quality in yet the men upstairs are sitting on their hands. Whatever way you look at it it is quite disturbing especially considering we are fed the rhetoric of an effective scouting system. If players don't want to come then the amazing system should find someone who does. 

I do, he has shown real balls in taking us on in the first place, lately shown actual progress in what is a hopeless task, his reward? Nowt, go with what we have. He must be feeling a bit hung out to dry by the people that hired him.

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Granted it's a gamble, but you sign them with relegation clauses don't you? Not strengthening will be far more costly IMO.

In what way?  We're pretty much down anyway.  I'd love to see us sign at least one striker, but fail to see how not strengthening is more costly than throwing money at a problem we're very unlikely to solve?

yep, if these clubs do drop then the money they spent wont look so pretty, for us, 10 points behind them, we'd have to throw more at it, if we did buy naismith for £8m and £60k a week and got relegated then there'd be a thread on here in the summer moaning about how we'd learnt **** all from all our previous mistakes

its disappointing that we appear to have accepted our fate but i accepted it after the 4 christmas games, i think its even more disappointing that they dont seem to recognise the significance of not signing anyone in hollis and gardes 1st window

will be interesting to see how the players effort levels react because i thought there had been an increase in desire, this could easily knock it back down to the lows of sherwoods last days

2 minutes ago, ReasonforRevolution said:

Does any feel for Garde a bit here? He seems to be working with his hands tied. For months leading up to this window he has said he wants to bring more quality in yet the men upstairs are sitting on their hands. Whatever way you look at it it is quite disturbing especially considering we are fed the rhetoric of an effective scouting system. If players don't want to come then the amazing system should find someone who does. 

A little bit, but it depends on what he signed up for and what Fox and Lerner said to him before he took over.  I really hope he doesn't get so pissed off that he decides to leave or another club tempts him away.  The Hollis appointment seems to show that we will be working on the basis of spending close to zero money, and I'm normally an optimist, but I struggle to see us bringing anybody in of note.  

5 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Vidic announces his retirement. Just to officially kill off any lingering speculation.

Perhaps gives an idea of the scale of the challenge . . . move to Villa or end my career? Well, I know which one I'd rather do - see you on the beach!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It really doesn't - it just shows that they're throwing money at it.  And, for what it's worth, I think it will be us and 2 of those 3.  Would we really want any of the following for the money.

Steven Naismith - £8m

Lewis Grabban - £7m

Benik Afobe - £10m

I actually rate Naismith and Afobe for what it's worth.  Afobe is probably the "best" deal there - but £10m on a completely unproven Premier League player?  That's a gamble and a half.

He's already scored 2 goals in 3 appearances helping them to 4 points. 

• Like 4

Imo Remi Garde is too good a manager to be at a club being run the way we are.

I wouldn't blame him if he walked, I'd be gutted because he's by far the best manager we've had under Lerner, pity he wasn't around at the beginning.

For our sake I hope we get a couple of player's RG wants in before the window closes because if not I think it might give RG reason to rethink his position.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

There's differnet ways we can go down though isn't there? The not investing and backing in our talented manager way which may see the fragile progress he has somehow managed get shot to shit and we lose 12 on the bounce and are a laughing stock. Then there is backing the man this window so he can start his own project and us seeing an upturn on the pitch and we go down fighting and make a fist of it. That's a whole different atmosphere in the sumer right? Which club would you be inclined to join for their promotion push? The laughing stock penny pinchers or the rebuilding fighters?

IMO not investing now could directly contribute to staying down in the Championship for a while instead of coming back up sharpish.

Very much agree with this.  I'm pretty sure we are going down, but how we do it is ever so important.  We need to come out at the start of next season and stamp our authority all over the Championship.  If we have the wrong attitude we are in real danger of having back to back relegations.  With the right attitude we at least give ourselves a shot at coming right back up again.  If we destroy the very fragile recovery that Garde is building or are not able to recruit effectively as we have a reputation as a rotten club we could end up starting next season with Gabby Sinclair and CNZ as our starting front three and stinking up the season.

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

IMO not investing now could directly contribute to staying down in the Championship for a while instead of coming back up sharpish.

this is where i kind of agree with hollis and fox, investing money in the wrong way, like we have been doing for the last 10 years, will contribute to us staying down in the championship

naismith for £8m, iturbe for £16m, grabban for £8m...they'd have been terrible signings for us when we go down, debuchy on loan for 6 months is an utterly pointless signing, waste of wages, vidic...**** me

the only transfers ive been disappointed we werent properly in for was byram and afobe, but even byram with everton and west ham at the table we wouldnt have stood a chance unless we started offering out £60-70k a week contracts, that'd kill us in the championship

if we can get this keeper in i'd be confident that he's staying next year so he's worthwhile, then try and go for that walsall kid, the coventry kid

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I know, and he's looked sharp.

Yes, I agree. I really rate him to be honest, I don't think there's any chance they'll regret signing him, no matter what division they end up in. 

He would've been exactly what we need. :(

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Perhaps gives an idea of the scale of the challenge . . . move to Villa or end my career? Well, I know which one I'd rather do - see you on the beach!

Possibly, but I'm choosing to believe that Vidic saw that Vassell had hung up his boots and felt that there's no true challenge left in the game.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I do, he has shown real balls in taking us on in the first place, lately shown actual progress in what is a hopeless task, his reward? Nowt, go with what we have. He must be feeling a bit hung out to dry by the people that hired him.

This is exactly how I feel. Unfortunately, I fear it will only end in one way. He has given us something to build on so that is exactly what we should be doing. It seems this window is a towel thrown in the ring. 

16 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

A little bit, but it depends on what he signed up for and what Fox and Lerner said to him before he took over.  I really hope he doesn't get so pissed off that he decides to leave or another club tempts him away.  The Hollis appointment seems to show that we will be working on the basis of spending close to zero money, and I'm normally an optimist, but I struggle to see us bringing anybody in of note.  

I suppose we will never know what he has signed up for. I can't imagine he took the job of a rock bottom club with £0 budget in January though. Optimism is certainly fading on my behalf too. I'd take Sylla at this rate. Off topic but massive kudos on the Levon Been avatar.

• Like 2

On 27/01/2016 at 13:02, jacketspuds said:

I don't get this 'hung out to dry' talk and lack of backing. Do fans honestly believe we are doing nothing as far as new recruits go?

Remi strikes me as wanting the right player with the right attitude...similar to arsene wenger. So that narrows ur options down straight away, add in the fact we are 10 points adrift and it becomes a very difficult situation.

Look, sherwood was backed in the summer and given free reign, whether the money was from the benteke/delph sales or not, he still spent 50mill. Doesn't that show you that throwing money at it is not the answer, never has been and never will be!!

We need intelligent recruitment of the right sort of player, and that will take time. Yes i think its too late to save us this season but hopefully remi is starting to put the right attitude in place for the future.

Im sure newcastle will still be in the same situation next season even after spending 30mill this window...thats if they stay up!!

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont think people want us to bankrupt the club with panic signings. One or 2 signings would at least freshen up the place and could definite improve the team

board have let Garde down badly here

Garde should walk.  Good to see him calling the board out in his suttle way this morning.