Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

1 minute ago, useless said:

I have a strange habit of writing stuff and missing words out. I meant ' Has it been confirmed we're not signing anybody'.

Not yet we are waiting until a minute after the transfer window closes for the inevitable. SKY will have a reporter at Villa Park who will say at 18.00 "the lights are off and the gates are locked it looks like Villa will go again with what they have". :rolleyes:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:
9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We appeared to have (e)6.5 for a keeper? Unless that was a move out of the Doug Ellis play book. 

We appeared to have (e)6.5 for a keeper? Unless that was a move out of the Doug Ellis play book. 

True true....and I do recall Steve telling us the chequebook is open if they can find a world-class, strategically compatible, value for money player, who wants to play in the championship and doesn't expect too much in terms of wages

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 4

I struggle to accept that we cannot convince people that we are a more suitable long term prospect than Sunderland, Norwich or Bournemouth. Yes, they are ahead of us on points but they are all still very likely to go down. We should be telling players that we have not accepted relegation and that we are going to try and escape and that all we need is one or two key signings to finish games off. We should also be able to offer better wages and an increased likelihood of promotion IF we do go down.

I can understand us struggling to attract decent players on permanent deals given our current situation but there must be an host of players who'd be willing to come until the end of the season on loan. Surely some of them have to be better striking options than what we already have.

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

footballers dont think long term though, a footballers career is short and they dont want to play in Championship unless they are getting a lot of money like West Ham did with Nolan

A high proportion of the players that the teams above us have signed are all likely to be playing in the Championship next season. 

Just now, Rds1983 said:

A high proportion of the players that the teams above us have signed are all likely to be playing in the Championship next season. 

true but they will be getting more money than they would at Villa and they joined them teams who have at least given them a fighting chance of survival

Just now, Zatman said:

true but they will be getting more money than they would at Villa 

This is what I struggle to accept. How are Bournemouth and Norwich offering a better financial package then we are?

I know the (likely) answer but I cannot accept it.

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

thats the way it is. Big teams offer big money and we are no longer a big team but its been like that for too long now

For our older fans.

And for our slightly younger fans.

• Like 1

We don't know that we've been in for the same players. And it's obvious why players would prefer those teams over us given our current predicament. On the face of it at clubs like Norwich and Bournemouth players transferring have a much better chance of playing in the Premier next season. If any other club was in our position they'd have the exact same issues.

The argument that we aren't an attractive proposition is undoubtedly true, but how are we really that much worse than Newcastle, Sunderland, Norwich and Bournemouth?

Paying ever so slightly more than them would surely smooth out any possible problems, we just haven't been prepared to spend, I really don't believe that we have been trying to sign players and that money has been available to Remi but the players don't want to come. If that clearing Ashley can get his head around it the fact we can't is pretty embarassing. Yes they've paid over the odds, but being an unattractive proposition forces their hand there, as it does ours. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Sunderland,Norwich and Bournemouth all signed players which shows that we can not compete in the transfer market with teams of that standing.

No wonder no one wants to come here.

It really doesn't - it just shows that they're throwing money at it.  And, for what it's worth, I think it will be us and 2 of those 3.  Would we really want any of the following for the money.

Steven Naismith - £8m

Lewis Grabban - £7m

Benik Afobe - £10m

I actually rate Naismith and Afobe for what it's worth.  Afobe is probably the "best" deal there - but £10m on a completely unproven Premier League player?  That's a gamble and a half.