Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

8 minutes ago, deeps said:

Rhodes is one we should look at purely due to his record in the league below which we will be stuck in for years to come.

As I don't really know what type of player Rhodes is I thought I'd take a look at a FM15 screenshot to try and understand his playing style a bit better. Was a tad suprised to see that his strongest attribute was 'the distance he can get on his goal kicks', either he is a lot more versatile then I thought or something went wrong there. Although we do need a striker and new keeper, two for one signing?

11 hours ago, Richard said:

How sure are you we will sign a striker ? Because I am not at all convinced we will, in fact I'd be surprised if we do, not surprised if we don't 

Because whilst I don't think they are very good at running a football club - I don't think that they are that stupid. We also have a history of finding some loose change on deadline day and panicking a little with an odd signing (or trying) and expect similar I think.

I see the Championship FFP has been mentioned. Surely, surely that's why it makes sense to do some signing for next year now rather than in the summer when we are a Championship club?

24 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

Because whilst I don't think they are very good at running a football club - I don't think that they are that stupid. We also have a history of finding some loose change on deadline day and panicking a little with an odd signing (or trying) and expect similar I think.

I see the Championship FFP has been mentioned. Surely, surely that's why it makes sense to do some signing for next year now rather than in the summer when we are a Championship club?

But wont that fall still in the same catergory? From the period of being  a premiership club and championship club? I think (not 100%)they determine it from each financial year?

Rhodes and Austin before him have not moved to clubs for big money in the past for a reason. In Austin's case it may be due to injury concerns and in the case of Rhodes it may be that he has an end product but little else or in both cases it might be something completely different but they have not moved for £10m + and in the case of Rhodes it is teams from his own division that have shown most interest in him. We have signed neither I would guess because of the same reasons or primarily for a very different one we refuse to spend that sort of money and now it appears refuse to spend any at all. . 

Just now, supermon said:

Shelvey and Townsend are good additions in my opinion, not sure what Swansea are playing at selling Shelvey and potentially selling Ayew

Yeah - definitely something odd going on at Swansea. Selling their summer signings to direct competition?  

No point in signing Debouchy if we didnt expect other new bodies as well. He obviously isnt gonna make the difference between staying up or going down. Remi is too intelligent for that (the board, not so sure) So if this deal is still on, I have faith in us bringing in a (good) striker.

2 minutes ago, KJT123 said:

So Newcastle signing Townsend, and are after Remy and Lacazette. I'd love to see them go down after spending all this money.

I wouldn't as they will be a very strong team in the same league as us next season

5 minutes ago, John said:

Rhodes and Austin before him have not moved to clubs for big money in the past for a reason. In Austin's case it may be due to injury concerns and in the case of Rhodes it may be that he has an end product but little else or in both cases it might be something completely different but they have not moved for £10m + and in the case of Rhodes it is teams from his own division that have shown most interest in him. We have signed neither I would guess because of the same reasons or primarily for a very different one we refuse to spend that sort of money and now it appears refuse to spend any at all. . 

Rhodes is like many other strikers that banged goals in CHampionship but doesnt have the game to move up. Earnshaw was another one, McCormack,  Hooper even David Nugent. good goalscorers at that level but not good enough to move up

• Like 1

Our previous manager would have had Townsend playing here since August for £3m more than Newcastle are now paying for him. It might not have worked for us and might not work for them now. But they unlike us are at least rolling the dice whilst we appear to have taken our dice home and stopped playing the game because we consider the stakes are too high.   

• Like 2