Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

Discussion is good, I like discussion. That's why I am here, plus the different views are important. Not complaining just noticed that people have turned on Grealish and Gabby, I am putting a case forward that maybe spending isn't necessary and won't be done if we have options already if their attitude changes.

I hope we do sign a striker, and agree maybe our academy isn't producing the goods. But we have rolled the dice with players like Tonev, Sylla, Helenius, Luna let alone Bowery that has cost us. I don't want us to make another error like that.

We have made progress under Garde, a player who doesn't fit may disrupt or even halt progress. 

Edited by GeneralJazzman

We sold players in the summer and people thought all that money would disappear into a black hole and not get spent. It didn't. It got put back into the playing squad. If we lose some of our better players this summer, then I imagine that money will also be made available for investment in player purchases.

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jareth said:

So QPR got 64 mill for finishing bottom last year - if we get that this year then £40 mill parachute payment the following year, we're not talking about a huge loss in income compared to what we were earning (not compared to how much better off prem teams will be next season) - with wage reductions as per what Fox said, money in from player sales - then surely we're looking pretty healthy for some new additions to the squad, according to Remi's vision and a promotion push. Got to be what is keeping Remi in the job.

We get £100m for finishing bottom this season. Unfortunately our wage bill is even more massive and monstrous than QPR's. 

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

We get £100m for finishing bottom this season. Unfortunately our wage bill is even more massive and monstrous than QPR's. 

Is it though? QPR had some truly Redknapp-esque contracts when they went down. We will lose CNZ in the summer plus the likes of Richardson and Senderos are also out of contract. I can't imagine our signings this summer will be on massive wages either. Just need to ship out Agbonlahor and the last of the big earners of the last few years will have been sold.

I thought our current wages now would be as low as they've ever been - could be wrong but they will certainly be lower if Nzog and Gabby leave in the summer - we could have nearly 6 talented championship players for their combined wages alone.

New TV deal kicks in at the end of next season doesn't it? (Financially anyways) That's why this season more than ever it is vital to stay up so we reap the benefits at the end of next season. Finishing bottom next season is worth 100 mill not this. So we will miss out big time financially and make it even harder to compete let alone stay up. 

1 minute ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

I think QPR had some ridiculous wages to turnover ratio. Ours was 59% wages to turnover in the last accounts. 

IIRC QPR's was over 100%.

I guess it;s possible our wages are higher, but they certainly aren't in terms of wages:turnover

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

New TV deal kicks in at the end of next season doesn't it? (Financially anyways) That's why this season more than ever it is vital to stay up so we reap the benefits at the end of next season. Finishing bottom next season is worth 100 mill not this. So we will miss out big time financially and make it even harder to compete let alone stay up. 

I thought so too - that to finish bottom this year we would get similar to QPR last year. Anyway, we'll be worse off compared to premier league teams, but compared to where we were financially last season, we'll be quite close - so if we get  a clean slate with Remi buying the players, we should have a good sustainable budget to do so. All completely scientific of course.

• Like 1

Richards, Lescott, will be on a fair whack. But covered by Bent & Given. Traore, Amavi, Gana, vertout & Ayew will be on around 30k pw. Helenius, Tonev, Luna, Lowton wouldn't of been on that. So I reckon our wage bill is higher than last seasons. But still manageable within the PL. haven't all new contracts signed since Fox arrived have built in relegation clauses in them? That would mean Hutton & Agbonlahor face cuts also. 

Be interesting to read the financial reports when released to see if that's the case. Hopefully the SwissRambler does another article on them 

Edit: as pointed out by markavfc40 below I forgot the obvious Benteke, Delph, & Cleverley wages so my point is wrong and misinformed.  Please ignore ! 

Edited by thabucks
Wrong info used as example

11 minutes ago, GeneralJazzman said:

Discussion is good, I like discussion. That's why I am here, plus the different views is important. Not complaining just noticed that people have turned on Grealish and Gabby, I am putting a case forward that maybe spending isn't necessary and won't be done if we have options already if their attitude changes.

I hope we do sign a striker, and agree maybe our academy isn't producing the goods. But we have rolled the dice with players like Tonev, Sylla, Helenius, Luna let alone Bowery that has cost us. I don't want us to make another error like that.

We have made progress under Garde, a player who doesn't fit may disrupt or even halt progress. 

it is indeed! guess a welcome is in order :)

they have indeed, and i can understand them too, grealish started out promising but has since then made some very stupid decisions and he hasn't really shown much fight or will power on the pitch, same goes for gabby, cant remember when he last had a good game and im sure there is a good reason for him not starting. Dont get me wrong, i was a big Gabby supporter before, but its becoming more and more obvious that he doesnt have what it takes anymore, maybe he can find some form again but its not going to be with us. And something we really dont have is time to play sub-par players in a hope that their attitude changes.

we have bought some dross over the years indeed. But we have also bought some immensly good players who has since left, no new signing is guaranteed to work out, some do some don't but giving up on transfers alltogether isn't going to work either. Chance is an element in every spor, taking an option that IMO has a greater chance of success is a must in our possition, unless we have already given up

and im guessing thats why gabby hasn't been around for a while.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Yep! And way over 100% too. I Googled it and it was 195%!

Jesus, was it really that bad? Okay, I had completely the wrong idea. Important life lesson: never underestimate how badly run QPR are. Ignore me and carry on. 

• Like 4

I get not signing Debuchy because he'd cost 2-3 mil in loan fees and wages and all he would really do is make us a bit more solid at the back. If we signed him on a perm basis then definitely but he won't want to play in the Championship.

I hate to say this, but we are in the 'Lambert' style zone of young hungry gambles from lower divisions or home or abroad. Now there is talent out there that we should should be signing now using the opportunity to play in the Prem to attract them, for however long. Rather than the summer when we'll be competing with all the Championship clubs.

The most worrying thing is that the club has pretty much shut up shop and bid farewell to this league, Lerner and his cronies aren't even attempting to buy players that could keep us up, even if Garde wants to. Not trying just says it all.

15 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Richards, Lescott, will be on a fair whack. But covered by Bent & Given. Traore, Amavi, Gana, vertout & Ayew will be on around 30k pw. Helenius, Tonev, Luna, Lowton wouldn't of been on that. So I reckon our wage bill is higher than last seasons.

Are you forgetting that Delph, Benteke, Vlaar and Cleverley were on the wage bill as well last season? I'd be amazed if our wage bill is more this season than it was last season. Bent was on huge wages, Delph, Benteke on 60k+, Given on 50k+ a week and then you'd have Vlaar and Cleverly being paid a fair whack.

• Like 2

Cheers tomaspg, just doubt we will get another Benteke this window sadly. I think Bacuna has shown himself to be good value, same as Westwood. Others have mentioned there are bargains out there, just must be tough to find ones that fit Remi's plan. He seems like Arsene Wegner and won't buy a player who he feels won't add anything to the squad. 

39 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Are you forgetting that Delph, Benteke, Vlaar and Cleverley were on the wage bill as well last season? I'd be amazed if our wage bill is more this season than it was last season. Bent was on huge wages, Delph, Benteke on 60k+, Given on 50k+ a week and then you'd have Vlaar and Cleverly being paid a fair whack.

Very good point! Yeah in my hungover state I forgot the actual main players we lost and focused on the periphery players. My bad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeneralJazzman said:

I am putting a case forward that maybe spending isn't necessary and won't be done if we have options already if their attitude changes.

Welcome to VillaTalk. Mr Chairmam :)

Joking aside I can't agree with either of the points I have highlighted. 

On the first point, I think it's essential that we strengthen the squad because what we have is bottom of the league for a reason. And that means spending. 

Which brings me to the 2nd point. I'm not sure I would use the term "rolled the dice"  in signing the players you mention, to quote an old phrase, Lambert was given peanuts so ended up with monkeys.Those players were signed primarily because they were cheap, yes it was a gamble, and one that didn't pay off. And spending a bit of money is (imo) exactly the way to avoid those errors in the future.  The amount of money we spent on left backs is still a running joke, Lambert wanted to buy Creswell, and may have done with a little more backing. Instead he has to go shopping around the back waters of Europe, 4 lefts backs later we still haven't solved the problem, its a false economy. 

Money doesn't guarantee success, but the type of aggresive cost cutting we have seen over the last 5yrs was always going to guarantee failure. 

Edited by av1