The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

On 05/07/2016 at 21:39, villa4europe said:

Dunno bout a pub crawl in digbeth, it's a big rougher than other bits of brum, I personally don't mind the bull ring tavern and I'd definitely end up in the kerryman, both are rough, the old crowns ok, so is Hennessys, I don't know where you'd end your night, I've only ever drank round there when I was going to a gig at the Irish centre / barfly / HMV, don't know what they do with the institute it's a cracking building 

Cheers. Few other pubs like the Spotted Dog, Lamp Tavern and the Anchor but thinking the surroundings may be a little light on female talent. May stick to Jewellery Quarter again or city centre

Getting back on topic and off the topic of my (non existent) love life!

More of a gastropub than a traditional pub but a nice place to grab some food and a few cold ones.

White Swan, Edgbaston

the-white-swan-341428546.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

Getting back on topic and off the topic of my (non existent) love life!

More of a gastropub than a traditional pub but a nice place to grab some food and a few cold ones.

White Swan, Edgbaston

the-white-swan-341428546.jpg

Gastro pub?....yuk

Just off to the ttpyots thread :-)

On 7/5/2016 at 19:13, Xela said:

Need some advice chaps. Got a lads all dayer in a couple of weeks. Last one we did was the Jewellery Quarter, which was great. Started at Bacchus in the city centre (easy meeting point) then Queens Arms, Hen & Chickens, Church Inn, Lord Clifden, Rose Villa Tavern and finally Vertu Bar, before we started to flag!

Thinking of Digbeth for the next one but haven't been that way in years... last time I was down that way I was watching a Scissor Sisters play in the Medicine Bar. You can tell how long ago that was! Any suggestions for a good pub crawl around there? 

Harborne isn't too bad nowadays.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2016 at 19:13, Xela said:

Need some advice chaps. Got a lads all dayer in a couple of weeks. Last one we did was the Jewellery Quarter, which was great. Started at Bacchus in the city centre (easy meeting point) then Queens Arms, Hen & Chickens, Church Inn, Lord Clifden, Rose Villa Tavern and finally Vertu Bar, before we started to flag!

Thinking of Digbeth for the next one but haven't been that way in years... last time I was down that way I was watching a Scissor Sisters play in the Medicine Bar. You can tell how long ago that was! Any suggestions for a good pub crawl around there? 

moseley village.loads of women.the prince of wales is a great pub as out the back is literally a small village.marquee,cuban cigar shop,cocktail bar,and full of women of all ages.you'll have no trouble pulling.rated as the best night out in brum in the tourist guides.

Edited by krisagg75
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

Gastro pub?....yuk

Just off to the ttpyots thread :-)

:)

Just a posh name for pub that serves good quality food isn't it :D. Some can be pretentious though, can't deny that

55 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Harborne isn't too bad nowadays.

47 minutes ago, krisagg75 said:

moseley village.loads of women.the prince of wales is a great pub as out the back is literally a small village.marquee,cuban cigar shop,cocktail bar,and full of women of all ages.you'lle no trouble pulling.rated as the best night out in brum in the tourist guides.

Cheers chaps, good suggestions but as my mates are coming from all over (London, Wolves, Kiddy) we decided to keep it within walking distance of the train stations so people can get home... apart from my pal from London who has booked a suite at the Burlington! 

Haven't been to Harborne in ages. Moseley used to a regular haunt of mine when a good mate of mine lived in Kings Heath. Had many a drunken night in Pat Kav's and O'Neills! Always used to spend Xmas Eve there and see in Christmas Day. 

Again, more of a food pub than an out and out drinking establishment but the grub is good and a fair selection of ales. Had a cracking burger here last night. 

Old Irish Harp, Aldridge

PM2515620@GY121012PUBS-03.jpg

Horse & Jockey. Lichfield. Large selection of real ale at £3 a pint and extremely good food at low cost. I recommend the Packington Farms pork pie and the cheeseboard.

Tried five different beers and they were all decent ;)

2037535.jpg

• Like 2

On a similar theme, what are VTers' experiences of desi pubs ? Ive been to a few - (Grove, Handsworth, Desi 2 & Shireland, smethwick and red lion west brom) - definitely not the place to impress the ladies as most of these pubs are grim in decor and it's all about the food, which is top notch mainly.

15 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

On a similar theme, what are VTers' experiences of desi pubs ? Ive been to a few - (Grove, Handsworth, Desi 2 & Shireland, smethwick and red lion west brom) - definitely not the place to impress the ladies as most of these pubs are grim in decor and it's all about the food, which is top notch mainly.

There's one in Moseley called The Merry Maid. It's exactly as you describe, nothing to look at but the food is stunning.

15 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Been to a few of them. As you say, its not a place to meet a lady but food is top notch. I've been to Hen and Chickens (Jewellery Quarter), Shireland (Smethwick), New Talbot (West Brom), Soho Tavern (Hockley) and The Vine (West Brom). 

Favourite is probably the New Talbot

Further to the above post, revisited the New Talbot last night. Outstanding Indian food. Definitely my favourite Indian grill pub

new+talbot.jpg

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Further to the above post, revisited the New Talbot last night. Outstanding Indian food. Definitely my favourite Indian grill pub

new+talbot.jpg

Not been there but it's definitely on my list now :D

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Not been there but it's definitely on my list now :D

Well worth it mate!

Not had a grill at the Grove, which is considered by many to be the best, so would be interested to hear how you compare the two 

Popped in here today for the first time in about 5 years. The interior needs some TLC but its cheap (for the city centre) and I love the building itself. Unmistakably a James & Lister Lea design from the turn of the 20th century

Opposite Nandos off Broad Street if you were wondering :)

4mid.png

Â