The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

11 minutes ago, KHV said:

Butlers is pretty good for food, I prefer a jaunt out to The Railway in Shenstone for food to be honest. I think it's better, that said you won't have a bad meal in the Butlers

Hollybush at Little Hay is decent too. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

Hollybush at Little Hay is decent too. 

Never been there. Might check it out, had a look online and it looks nice.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KHV said:

Do you hang about in pubs for living btw? :lol:

i wish! :D

I don't have what I would class as a 'local' so always in different places! Although that makes me sound like I'm always out, i'm not! 

Cheers KHV.

One of my favourite pubs in Brum for food is right out in the sticks by the lickey Hills called the Oak Tree in Rednal/Cofton Hackett.

It's past Longbridge Island so don't know if many VTers have ventured that far but the menu is ridiculous good, part of the Generous George chain. There's one in Stourbridge aswell.

3 hours ago, Xela said:

i wish! :D

I don't have what I would class as a 'local' so always in different places! Although that makes me sound like I'm always out, i'm not! 

Ha, my local is technically the Anvil (Falcon Lodge/Reddicap) and that weird Italian Nezzo place so I tend to drift from place to place aswell when those are the options!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Cheers KHV.

One of my favourite pubs in Brum for food is right out in the sticks by the lickey Hills called the Oak Tree in Rednal/Cofton Hackett.

It's past Longbridge Island so don't know if many VTers have ventured that far but the menu is ridiculous good, part of the Generous George chain. There's one in Stourbridge aswell.

Bandit country!

They're a strange lot south of the city ;)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Ha, my local is technically the Anvil (Falcon Lodge/Reddicap) and that weird Italian Nezzo place so I tend to drift from place to place aswell when those are the options!

Mine is technically the Green House in Four Oaks. Nice enough place but can be a tad pretentious. OK for a quick scoop after work

35 minutes ago, Xela said:

Mine is technically the Green House in Four Oaks. Nice enough place but can be a tad pretentious. OK for a quick scoop after work

Mine are farmer John's, the queslett or the Foley arms  (:o for that last one !)...but I like to go further afield and having young, 2nd generation Indian couple next door comes in handy when choosing the next desi pub....along with your own good recommendations of course !

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Mine are farmer John's, the queslett or the Foley arms  (:o for that last one !)...but I like to go further afield and having young, 2nd generation Indian couple next door comes in handy when choosing the next desi pub....along with your own good recommendations of course !

I quite like Farmer Johns. Always ok for a bite to eat. Marstons isn't it?

The desi pub visit for Friday has been cancelled :( Too many of the crew have pulled out. 

• Like 1

FJ is okaaaay I guess, more of a restaurant than a pub now though; yes I believe it is marstons. 

Dude, you need to choose a different desi pub crew ! That's not the first time they've bailed on you ! :angry:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

FJ is okaaaay I guess, more of a restaurant than a pub now though; yes I believe it is marstons. 

Dude, you need to choose a different desi pub crew ! That's not the first time they've bailed on you ! :angry:

Same as Blakes Barn and Old Irish Harp... Marstons boozers are all about food now and some of it is pretty decent.

Its been pencilled in for next Friday now. Fingers crossed! 

• Like 1

On 25/02/2017 at 22:07, Shropshire Lad said:

Following a recent pub crawl with the missus in Bridgnorth....

The Black Boy Inn (first picture). Voted best pub in East Shropshire by CAMRA in 2015. Very cosy and comes complete with a great view from the terrace/smoking area.

IMG_0198.JPG

The Kings Head (second picture). Really good food (the sticky toffee pudding is great) but also has a nice olde pub feel to it too. 

IMG_0199.JPG

The Stables (third picture). Next door to The Kings Head. Bit more of a "bar" than a pub. Galley style bar on the ground floor, restaurant upstairs. Big outside bar in the yard for the nice weather. 

IMG_0301.JPG

Looks great. I am going to Bridgnorth next Friday for the weekend. Be the first time I have ever been and my missus hasn't been there for years. Can you recommend any pubs that will have bands on later in the evening? 

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Looks great. I am going to Bridgnorth next Friday for the weekend. Be the first time I have ever been and my missus hasn't been there for years. Can you recommend any pubs that will have bands on later in the evening? 

Not many spring to mind to be honest mate. I can tell you that The Bear Inn (first pic) does, they normally have live music every Friday and Saturday night. It's a nice little pub, friendly staff. Bit of a "rock" pub I think (Pink Floyd, Stones posters on the wall etc). 

Your question prompted me to have a look myself; The Bell & Talbot (second pic) seems to pop up a lot for live music although I've not been.

I should also mention The Friars Inn (third pic). No music, but it's a nice hidden gem in the courtyard off the high street. 

Hope that helps and you have a good one mate.

IMG_0395.JPG

IMG_0394.JPG

IMG_0396.JPG

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Not many spring to mind to be honest mate. I can tell you that The Bear Inn does, they normally have live music every Friday and Saturday night. It's a nice little pub, friendly staff. Bit of a "rock" pub I think (Pink Floyd, Stones posters on the wall etc). 

Your question prompted me to have a look myself; The Bell & Talbot seems to pop up a lot for live music although I've not been.

I should also mention The Friars Inn. No music, but it's a nice hidden gem in the courtyard off the high street. 

Hope that helps and you have a good one mate.

Cheers Mark that is really helpful mate. Is this a local place for you then? we intend to go on a bit of a pub crawl so will hopefully get round all the watering holes you have suggested and a few more :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Cheers Mark that is really helpful mate. Is this a local place for you then? we intend to go on a bit of a pub crawl so will hopefully get round all the watering holes you have suggested and a few more :)

Bridgnorth is about a 20 minute drive from me, so fairly local. I'm there every couple of months maybe so i know a few of the pubs (although the little 'un has had an impact on that). 

Yeah you can't go too far wrong with most of the pubs in the town, there are a couple more I haven't mentioned which you may stumble across which are decent. 

All the pubs I've mentioned are in high town, The Black Boy Inn is on the Cartway which is sort of a link between high and low town. It's a bit of a steep walk from that one to high town so I tend to do that one nearer the start of the crawl. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Cheers KHV.

I haven't been to the Lickey Hills for about 15 years. We went to a pub out that way but it was summer and I was in my 20's. I was also on a shed load of magic mushrooms so I couldn't possibly recall the name of it. The pub was way past the Longbridge car plant on the left just before a roundabout. Well I think there was a pub and a roundabout :ph34r:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Mine is technically The Yenton, although I use The Boldmere Tap a lot (Sunday lunch is great), and I use the Vesey in Boldmere, The Horse and Jockey and various pubs in Sutton mainly after work. I like to venture out towards Lichfield and Shenstone from time to time. I used to love the food at The Cock at Wishaw but went before Xmas last year and it was crap.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KHV said:

I haven't been to the Lickey Hills for about 15 years. We went to a pub out that way but it was summer and I was in my 20's. I was also on a shed load of magic mushrooms so I couldn't possibly recall the name of it. The pub was way past the Longbridge car plant on the left just before a roundabout. Well I think there was a pub and a roundabout :ph34r:

Yep that's the one!

I'm in the Yenton most weeks on a Saturday or Sunday. Never been in the Boldmere Tap but might give it a try.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Yep that's the one!

I'm in the Yenton most weeks on a Saturday or Sunday. Never been in the Boldmere Tap but might give it a try.

If u want Sunday lunch you have to call and book as it's tiny. All home cooked food. I have been using the Yenton for 12 years!

Â