The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

13 hours ago, Kingman said:

Had some good sessions in the Aston Hotel on match days. 

Being converted into a hostel for the homeless last I heard. 

So the same as its previous use then :P

• Like 1

On 14/05/2016 at 15:39, KHV said:

Good shout, the food is different class! I love the Soho Tavern

I'd put the food at the New Talbot in West Brom slightly above it.

Have you been to the Hen & Chickens and the Grove? 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I'd put the food at the New Talbot in West Brom slightly above it.

Have you been to the Hen & Chickens and the Grove? 

New Talbot is good too although I tend to rarely venture that far. I used to live by the Grove and it was my local about 15 years ago. My ex worked there and it was great back then. They used to have old skool jungle on the jukebox by the pool table! 

I have been to a pub called the hen and chickens. Is it over towards the Wolverhampton Road or am I imaging that? Was probably about 15 years ago to be honest but not recently

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KHV said:

New Talbot is good too although I tend to rarely venture that far. I used to live by the Grove and it was my local about 15 years ago. My ex worked there and it was great back then. They used to have old skool jungle on the jukebox by the pool table! 

I have been to a pub called the hen and chickens. Is it over towards the Wolverhampton Road or am I imaging that? Was probably about 15 years ago to be honest but not recently

I think there was one on the Wolverhampton Road but the one I am referring to is on Constitution Hill, at the edge of the Jewellery Quarter. Cracking food

hen-and-chickens-ph.jpg

hen-and-chickens.jpg

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think there was one on the Wolverhampton Road but the one I am referring to is on Constitution Hill, at the edge of the Jewellery Quarter. Cracking food

hen-and-chickens-ph.jpg

hen-and-chickens.jpg

No not been to that one mate however the bottom picture has convinced me I should check it out :D

• Like 1

I am sure it has probably already been mentioned on here already somewhere but the black eagle in Hockley is a Harry redknapp style top top pub and only a short metro ride from the jewelry quarter pub crawl

• Like 1

On 03/12/2015 at 12:52, Xela said:

Sun at the Station in Kings Heath. Great pub. Was there last night as mate was playing a gig in the back room (cover songs)

unnamed-7.jpg

sun-at-the-station-brum-review.jpg

Old post, but I love this pub.

Sun on the Hill, their sister pub, is good too in town. Had my 30th birthday bash there in December and it was excellent (rented out the mezzanine there)

16 hours ago, Xela said:

hen-and-chickens-ph.jpg

hen-and-chickens.jpg

You're not wrong lad, the mixed grill in there is cracking (and bloody big) Pubs not up to much though but at least they have the football.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sidcow said:

I am sure it has probably already been mentioned on here already somewhere but the black eagle in Hockley is a Harry redknapp style top top pub and only a short metro ride from the jewelry quarter pub crawl

About 100 yards or so from the Soho Tavern. The Black Eagle is a cracking old pub. Good pub food as well 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was wondering only the other day where I could find local pubs with a roof terrace - not sure I've been to one near me or in Birmingham.

Anyway, the following Brum pubs have been mentioned before, but I recently visited them for the first time (largely due to this thread)-

The Jekyll & Hyde, The Old Joint Stock, The Old Contemptibles and The Cosy Club.

All very good establishment so cheers! Contemptibles and Jekyll & Hyde would be my picks, however I can't help but feel the J&H is more of an "Alice in Wonderland" vibe. 

• Like 1

Need some advice chaps. Got a lads all dayer in a couple of weeks. Last one we did was the Jewellery Quarter, which was great. Started at Bacchus in the city centre (easy meeting point) then Queens Arms, Hen & Chickens, Church Inn, Lord Clifden, Rose Villa Tavern and finally Vertu Bar, before we started to flag!

Thinking of Digbeth for the next one but haven't been that way in years... last time I was down that way I was watching a Scissor Sisters play in the Medicine Bar. You can tell how long ago that was! Any suggestions for a good pub crawl around there? 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Some good choices there old chap. What brought you to the bright lights of Birmingham?!

It was a belated birthday trip out for my mate (he doesn't live in brum either, he just fancied it).

Those brum pubs were preceded by a couple in The Great Western in Wolverhampton (yep, good pub, one for the trainspotters) and following the Brum jaunt, it was Wolves again and then a pint in some chain pub/restaurant in the new development near the train station, a pint in a bar which is a converted Costa Coffee (unsurprisingly felt exactly like having a beer in a converted Costa Coffee), followed by two quiet pints in the Finchfield area (West Acres and the Swan..decent pubs, but on this occasion, both were dead). The drinking peaked way too early.

As for your Digbeth dilemma, I'm of no use having only been drinking there once, you'll know far more than me matey.

But I've made a mental note to check the relationship thread in a couple of weeks to see what trouble you've found yourself in after this proposed pub crawl.....;)

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

Dunno bout a pub crawl in digbeth, it's a big rougher than other bits of brum, I personally don't mind the bull ring tavern and I'd definitely end up in the kerryman, both are rough, the old crowns ok, so is Hennessys, I don't know where you'd end your night, I've only ever drank round there when I was going to a gig at the Irish centre / barfly / HMV, don't know what they do with the institute it's a cracking building 

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

But I've made a mental note to check the relationship thread in a couple of weeks to see what trouble you've found yourself in after this proposed pub crawl.....;)

You do release this is Xela? He's too cool (or sad you decide) to date ;) (sorry Alex)

• Like 2

Â