The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

I went to that new cocktail bar near to New Street Station on Friday called Be At One. 

I had just arrived back from London on my Jaunt to The Ritz. I suspect that the bar prices at Be at One were probably higher than The Ritz. I was just getting well angry about £6 for a small bottle of shitty lager when one of the girls asked me to get in a bottle of Prosecco. £30 bleeding quid.  £30.

If I wasn't so pissed I would have walked out. I will not be returning. 

Still a very posh day for me! 

20 hours ago, sidcow said:

I went to that new cocktail bar near to New Street Station on Friday called Be At One. 

I had just arrived back from London on my Jaunt to The Ritz. I suspect that the bar prices at Be at One were probably higher than The Ritz. I was just getting well angry about £6 for a small bottle of shitty lager when one of the girls asked me to get in a bottle of Prosecco. £30 bleeding quid.  £30.

If I wasn't so pissed I would have walked out. I will not be returning. 

Still a very posh day for me! 

Be At One is nice but you need to be there during happy hour, which I think is 4pm - 7pm.

2 mojitos for £9. Lovely 

A semi regular of mine, although not as much as It used to be:

The Crown; Four Oaks

6710195.jpg

Edited by Xela

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

The Crown; Four Oaks

6710195.jpg

I used to drink in there all the time about 13/14 years ago. I used to see a bird that lived down the road from The Crown, last time I went I thought it was crap. I didn't think it was as good as it used to be, however that may be down to the fact I am no longer getting a guaranteed ride when I go there now :lol:

• Like 2

These guys have probably been to one or two of the pubs mentioned in this thread.

A team of charity pub-crawlers has reached its 20,000th ale house after three decades of touring pubs. 

The West Bromwich-based Black Country Ale Tairsters began visiting pubs listed on a map, issued by Wolverhampton brewer Banks's, in 1984.

But on Friday, they arrived at the Knot and Plough in Stafford where they were given free drinks.

The group's co-founder Peter Hill said £24,000 has been raised for charity since their epic tour began.
He has asked landlords at each pub for a £1 donation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-39160604

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

These guys have probably been to one or two of the pubs mentioned in this thread.

What a great achievement.

Would be interesting to see how many of the 20,000 have since closed down since they visited. A fair few i'd imagine. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2017 at 20:56, mikeyp102 said:

Yeah heard it's small. Should be there by 2pm so hoping not too busy at that time

How was your grill at the Hen & Chickens mate? 

On 3/4/2017 at 10:26, Shropshire Lad said:

You may think the pictures were taken in the 80's but it was actually last week. Well, they are from the Black Country ;)

_87434772_0c99f9e4-2518-4d86-81b1-6887da

_87434773_d5e77c95-97e8-4f70-8080-bb24aa

• Like 1

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:38, dAVe80 said:

It's an absolute wasteland round VP these days. Back in the day, I'd flit between 4 or 5 different pubs on a match day, now if you want to drink near the ground, it's Aston Social, or Aston Tavern the one end, or the Witton Arms the other. Otherwise you're looking at a bit of a trek.

Spoons at the Perry Barr one stop centre is pretty busy on matchdays now...went in there before the Barnsley game and was rammed for a 26k midweek game.

Still got the Bartons aswell but a decent walking distance for most of them now.

You been in the Butlers Arms recently Xela?

One pub in the Mere Green/Four Oaks area I've never actually been in despite passing it so many times.

Was wondering what the food is like as taking my Dad there on Sunday and prices seem o.k.

17 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Spoons at the Perry Barr one stop centre is pretty busy on matchdays now...went in there before the Barnsley game and was rammed for a 26k midweek game.

Still got the Bartons aswell but a decent walking distance for most of them now.

What's the name of the pub in the grounds of UCE in Perry Barr? I remember going in there once but I was pie-eyed. It was a studenty place. 

17 hours ago, VillaChris said:

One pub in the Mere Green/Four Oaks area I've never actually been in despite passing it so many times.

Was wondering what the food is like as taking my Dad there on Sunday and prices seem o.k.

Not recently but my folks go every now and again. Said it was very nice. Gets great reviews on Tripadvisor (3/167 in Sutton)

19 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Yeah pretty impressive. Between 6 had 2 large mix grill, masala fries and normal fries. 

I'm hopefully getting back on the grill bandwagon this week!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

What's the name of the pub in the grounds of UCE in Perry Barr? I remember going in there once but I was pie-eyed. It was a studenty place. 

I walked past it on the night of the Barnsley game....closed now although the car park is still used on a matchday.

On 03/03/2017 at 15:40, Xela said:

The Crown; Four Oaks

6710195.jpg

A pub that's popular with dyslexic undertakers, I see.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Xela said:

I'm hopefully getting back on the grill bandwagon this week!

Hurry up dude ! Every time I see this (or "what ya eatin there ?") threads updated with your mugshot alongside it, my hopes are raised ;) - and dont forget the photos......of the food, of course !

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Xela said:

It used to be a firkin pub back in the day. That's how long it's been since I was in there!

• Like 1

On 06/03/2017 at 00:33, VillaChris said:

Butlers is pretty good for food, I prefer a jaunt out to The Railway in Shenstone for food to be honest. I think it's better, that said you won't have a bad meal in the Butlers

Never had the Sunday lunch there by the way, the steaks are banging in the Butlers though. The fillet steak is about £25 IIRC

Edited by KHV
  • Like 1

Â