The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

On 13/12/2015 at 18:09, Xela said:

Was on a pub crawl yesterday, managed to get to 8 drinking establishments before one of our party passed out!

One that really impressed me was The Church in the Jewellery Quarter. Great cocktails and food looked lovely

Church_Exterior.jpg.640x480_q85_crop-sca

Interior2.jpg.640x480_q85_crop-scale.jpg

The-Church-Inn-rooftop-terrace-Birmingha

Used to live in this place back in the day when I worked in The Jewellery quarter. 

It was brilliant then, . Not gentrified. . You could get a stupidly large plate of sausage egg beans and chips for about £2 and cauliflower cheese was literally a whole cauliflower topped with melted cheese. 

• Like 1

Last year I organised a south Birmingham city centre pub crawl with work. 

It started when I got chatting to a colleague about The Anchor in digbeth which had been in the news with a new owner saying he was going to maintain ale.  I was saying how I hadn't been there since I was a kid and that we should support them,  then said there were a few decent pubs round there and the crawl was born.  

I actually spoke to the landlord of The Anchor about this when we were in there saying it was all his fault and then it turned out unbeknown to me he was actually one of our clients so double bubble getting pissed whilst supporting a customer. 

So the pubs in order were:

The Craven Arms 

The Victoria  John Bright Street

The Old Fox Hurst Street

The Lamp Tavern Barford Street 

The Anchor Digbeth

The White Swan Digbeth

The Spotted Dog Digbeth 

The old crown Digbeth 

Had. Proper wobble in the spotted dog everyone was tired,  pissed, comfy seats and good music. I had to crack the whip to get us over to The Crown. 

Got a North Brum one planned for the next few months when it gets warmer:

Jekyll and Hyde

Gunmakers Arms

The Bull

Sacks of Potatoes 

Gosta green

Eagle and Ball

The Woodman

Eagle and Tun

Gonna get messy 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

It started when I got chatting to a colleague about The Anchor in digbeth which had been in the news with a new owner saying he was going to maintain ale.  I was saying how I hadn't been there since I was a kid and that we should support them,  then said there were a few decent pubs round there and the crawl was born.  

I actually spoke to the landlord of The Anchor about this when we were in there saying it was all his fault and then it turned out unbeknown to me he was actually one of our clients so double bubble getting pissed whilst supporting a customer. 

The Craven Arms 

The Old Fox Hurst Street

The Anchor Digbeth

The White Swan Digbeth

The Spotted Dog Digbeth 

The old crown Digbeth 

Had. Proper wobble in the spotted dog everyone was tired,  pissed, comfy seats and good music. I had to crack the whip to get us over to The Crown. 

Jekyll and Hyde

Gunmakers Arms

The Bull

Sacks of Potatoes 

Gosta green

Eagle and Ball

The Woodman

Eagle and Tun

Gonna get messy 

How did you find the Lamp Tavern?

2 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

How did you find the Lamp Tavern?

It was hilarious.  Bearing in mind most of the party were more used to Utopia or The Botanist as we were trying to get in a. Ancient woman who had that bent over at 90 degrees problem was shuffling in. 

One of the girls decided to go for Guinness. I asked the old Irish guy what it was like. He responded "to be perfectly honest it's f***ing awfull,  I wouldn't touch the stuff myself" 

I've been there a couple of times so knew what to expect but of all the pubs we visited this was the biggest culture shock to the city slickers. 

To be honest I don't actually think the beer was that good.  It's a little more out of the way than the others.  I have been working on a slight variation to do it again in future and that along with The Old fox is one I will drop. 

Incidentally has anyone been to The Bullring Tavern Rrecently ?  I hear it's got new owners and been done up. Would be interested to hear if they have ale now. 

• Like 1

I only asked because I spent my drinking years in the lamp tavern. It's owned by Eddie my best mate's Grandad. So I know home very well. He's hilarious, very dry sense of humour.

I even did my first ever stand up comedy gig in the back room there.

On 2/7/2017 at 22:34, sidcow said:

The Craven Arms 

The Old Fox Hurst Street

The Anchor Digbeth

The White Swan Digbeth

The Spotted Dog Digbeth 

The old crown Digbeth 

Jekyll and Hyde

Gunmakers Arms

The Bull

Sacks of Potatoes 

Gosta green

Eagle and Ball

The Woodman

Eagle and Tun

Gonna get messy 

Some cracking pubs on there. 

On 08/02/2017 at 08:13, AVFC_Hitz said:

I only asked because I spent my drinking years in the lamp tavern. It's owned by Eddie my best mate's Grandad. So I know home very well. He's hilarious, very dry sense of humour.

I even did my first ever stand up comedy gig in the back room there.

Wow,  are you famous AH? 

Yes,  every time I've been there the landlord has been good value.

I saw a report about him getting quite badly assaulted in the riots a few years back. For shame,  totally unnecessary bloody cowards. 

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

Some cracking pubs on there. 

Yes. The whole event was really well received,  I have had so many compliments about the pubs being unusual, good and where people would not normally were people would go. 

Only problem is we had about 15 which is more or less manageable but they have all been spreading the word. I reckon we might have 30 or so for the Northern run which will be too many and fragment into chaos. 

You clearly like your pubs judging by the number of posts and likes on this thread. 

I may have possibly had a sing off against you in The Tap and Spile.  You would recognise me as the old fat guy who is literally the worst singer to ever walk McGraths clean earth. 

The Black Eagle is the better pub for me over The Inn on The Green.  I have made effort to get out there several times but won't go back to TIOTG unless I get another freeby invite. 

Never been to The Old Moseley Arms despite growing up in Moseley and still reasonably local. 

I was want to go to The British Oak in Stirchley which is now owned by the same people as The Prince of Wales in Moseley which is a great pub.  I am over that way once a week for a quiz in The Country Girl but as I have to drive its not really worth going in. . Would be like window shopping 

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

Wow,  are you famous AH? 

Yes,  every time I've been there the landlord has been good value.

I saw a report about him getting quite badly assaulted in the riots a few years back. For shame,  totally unnecessary bloody cowards. 

No, not famous at all. I only ever did 3 gigs and then I moved to Istanbul.

Yeah, during the riots he was pushed down the cellar steps and a box of crisps was the difference between him smacking his head off the stone floor. The crisp company offered him free crisps for life but never honoured that after everything died down :D.

On 2/9/2017 at 21:56, sidcow said:

Yes. The whole event was really well received,  I have had so many compliments about the pubs being unusual, good and where people would not normally were people would go. 

Only problem is we had about 15 which is more or less manageable but they have all been spreading the word. I reckon we might have 30 or so for the Northern run which will be too many and fragment into chaos. 

You clearly like your pubs judging by the number of posts and likes on this thread. 

I may have possibly had a sing off against you in The Tap and Spile.  You would recognise me as the old fat guy who is literally the worst singer to ever walk McGraths clean earth. 

The Black Eagle is the better pub for me over The Inn on The Green.  I have made effort to get out there several times but won't go back to TIOTG unless I get another freeby invite. 

Never been to The Old Moseley Arms despite growing up in Moseley and still reasonably local. 

I was want to go to The British Oak in Stirchley which is now owned by the same people as The Prince of Wales in Moseley which is a great pub.  I am over that way once a week for a quiz in The Country Girl but as I have to drive its not really worth going in. . Would be like window shopping 

I do like my pubs. Not just because they serve me fine ale, I just find the history and architecture of them fascinating as well as the role they play (or played) in the local community. its a shame so many iconic pubs are being shut on a weekly basis. Always a sad sight to see a once grand pub boarded up and going to rack and ruin. Some live on as a 'Buffet Island' or other such food place, which is better than some, which get bulldozed to make way for unimaginative apartment blocks. Obviously some are located in areas where the demographic has changed over the years and such an establishment is not needed. 

I'll be the one singling Livin' on a Prayer in the Tap & Spile. My songbook is quite limited!

My favourite Brum pub is The Wellington. A 'proper' pub. No need for food, just a fine selection of ales and friendly, if some quite strange, regulars. 

There's not many iconic pubs like that where I live. Makes me want to buy a city centre pad so I could be within spitting distance of so many fine establishments. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

They've done a great job in restoring this. Bulls Head, Bishopgate Street.

Really nice inside and all the old Davenports/Dares/Highgate beers on tap.

DSC9689.jpg

Edited by Xela
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, Xela said:

They've done a great job in restoring this. Bull Head, Bishopgate Street.

Really nice inside and all the old Davenports/Dares/Highgate beers on tap.

DSC9689.jpg

Everything about that photo screams, pubs in Birmingham to me. The Edwardian style, the red bricks, and the Davenports sign. I want to go on an all dayer now, drinking Bew XI, Ansells Mild, and Davenports Original.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Everything about that photo screams, pubs in Birmingham to me. The Edwardian style, the red bricks, and the Davenports sign. I want to go on an all dayer now, drinking Bew XI, Ansells Mild, and Davenports Original.

:)

The architects of that pub were the same who did The Swan & Mitre and The Bartons Arms (Aston), the Woodman, The Market Tavern, The Anchor Inn and The White Swan (Digbeth), The Red Lion (Handsworth) and The George & Dragon (Jewellery Quarter), so they are identifiable as a Brummie pub 

• Like 1

On 11/02/2017 at 16:05, Xela said:

My favourite Brum pub is The Wellington. A 'proper' pub. No need for food, just a fine selection of ales and friendly, if some quite strange, regulars. 

I've been there a few times with my bro and his mate who are proper ale heads. I asked tongue in cheek if they did stella and the looks i got were hilarious !

I swear some of the punters were almost chewing their beer, serious looks on their faces as they discussed the hoppyness and "mouthfeel" of said pint ! 

90% of them were called colin or malcolm, wore chunky sweaters, loved deltic train engines and had beards.

Or if might've been that particular day I was in :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mottaloo said:

I've been there a few times with my bro and his mate who are proper ale heads. I asked tongue in cheek if they did stella and the looks i got were hilarious !

I swear some of the punters were almost chewing their beer, serious looks on their faces as they discussed the hoppyness and "mouthfeel" of said pint ! 

90% of them were called colin or malcolm, wore chunky sweaters, loved deltic train engines and had beards.

Or if might've been that particular day I was in :D

Are you mocking my cosy knitwear and my fascination in the Intercity 125?

Regards

Colin Malcolm

• Like 2

I'm a member of the real ale clearings in the woods Facebook page, just for the craic but some of em are pure gas without actually meaning to be funny !

See if you can join it; just don't mention the L word !

• Like 1

Just now, mottaloo said:

I'm a member of the real ale clearings in the woods Facebook page, just for the craic but some of em are pure gas without actually meaning to be funny !

See if you can join it; just don't mention the L word !

My local haunt is a real ale pub, and the old boys in there are all card carrying CAMRA members. Funny you should use the word "gas", because that's a good way to describe the smelly arsed gits, some nights! :puke:

• Like 2

Following a recent pub crawl with the missus in Bridgnorth....

The Black Boy Inn (first picture). Voted best pub in East Shropshire by CAMRA in 2015. Very cosy and comes complete with a great view from the terrace/smoking area.

IMG_0198.JPG

The Kings Head (second picture). Really good food (the sticky toffee pudding is great) but also has a nice olde pub feel to it too. 

IMG_0199.JPG

The Stables (third picture). Next door to The Kings Head. Bit more of a "bar" than a pub. Galley style bar on the ground floor, restaurant upstairs. Big outside bar in the yard for the nice weather. 

IMG_0301.JPG

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Following a recent pub crawl with the missus in Bridgnorth....

Some decent looking boozers there pal. My parents have just come back from a week in Shropshire, they rented a cottage in Much Wenlock and loved it,  and I think they had a day in Bridgnorth with a pub lunch, so may well have been at one of those venues. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

Â