The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I use the car park over the road from it a lot (probably the cheapest proper safe one in town) but I've never been in, it looks rough as ****!

wheres the best place for a Sunday roast city centre-ish?

It attracts a motley crew of drinkers but I wouldn't say its rough. Everyone seems friendly enough. I wouldn't take a date to it though!

It could be so much better. Its a beautiful building but choice of drinks is a bit barren and its needs a bit of restoration inside. 

On 30/07/2016 at 10:51, villa4europe said:

wheres the best place for a Sunday roast city centre-ish?

I'm not really a Sunday roast type of guy but heard good reviews about the following:

Red Lion, Church Inn and Lord Clifden - all Hockley

Plough -Harborne

Dark Horse - Moseley

and something slightly more 'posher' -  Hotel Du Vin and Purnells Bistro, both in the CBD

Edited by Xela
Wasn't the Price of Wales in Moseley, it was the Dark Horse
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

May have posted about this place before buts it recently reopened after a big refurb and is now called The Old School House (which is what the building used to be historically)

Good selection of ales and lagers and a great food menu. Its in Mere Green. 

4096888_1da7b9b2.jpg

28 minutes ago, Xela said:

May have posted about this place before buts it recently reopened after a big refurb and is now called The Old School House (which is what the building used to be historically)

4096888_1da7b9b2.jpg

Been past it hundreds of times but never been in. Last time I was in that building it was a crap nighclub!

Went here over the weekend... bit of an institution in Reykjavik apparently. Really good vibe in here. Nice women, locals and a lot of Americans, but I won't hold that against them. 

kaffibarinn.jpg

On 11/07/2016 at 10:37, rjw63 said:

Horse & Jockey. Lichfield. Large selection of real ale at £3 a pint and extremely good food at low cost. I recommend the Packington Farms pork pie and the cheeseboard.

Tried five different beers and they were all decent ;)

2037535.jpg

Really good boozer!

Reminds me of how the Park Hotel in Boldmere used to be in the early noughties.

• 3 weeks later...

Not really a pub, but this top floor bar would be a nice place to take a date. Rofuto at the Park Regis Birmingham. Especially nice at night

rofuto-optimised.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The tired old City Tavern that I mention further up the page has been purchased by Davenports brewery and been refurbished. Name changed to The Bulls Head, which I believe was its original name. First Davenports pub in 30 years and very close to their former home. More details on the link

http://www.davenports.co.uk/pubs-and-bars/bulls-head-davenports/

DSC9684.jpg

PaddedImage1140570FFFFFF-DSC9677.jpg

The Great Western in Wolverhampton, a CAMRA favourite for those who also like railway memorabilia.

Recently voted the 32nd cosiest pub in the UK (the front bit is in particular), it was a good starting place on a train pub crawl I embarked on a couple of months ago.

image.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

The Great Western in Wolverhampton, a CAMRA favourite for those who also like railway memorabilia.

Recently voted the 32nd cosiest pub in the UK (the front bit is in particular), it was a good starting place on a train pub crawl I embarked on a couple of months ago.

image.jpg

Was also used for the world darts champs promos in recent years. IIRC Wayne Mardle was behind the bar. Proper old school pub.

On 21/11/2016 at 14:30, Xela said:

4096888_1da7b9b2.jpg

One of my favourite pubs that .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

One of my favourite pubs that .

Same here.

Was in there friday avo having the fish n chips (one of the best pub fish n chips i've experienced) and a pale ale. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Same here.

Was in there friday avo having the fish n chips (one of the best pub fish n chips i've experienced) and a pale ale. 

Haven't eaten in there yet but the Guinness is good, it's really comfortable, well lit  and has a cracking patio.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

CAMRA Birmingham Pub of the Year

Never been. Has anyone here frequented it? In Acocks Green

JS54696905.jpg

NWP_BEM_160115InnGreen_10.jpg

2nd was Black Eagle, Hockley

BP3308788@.jpg

Third - Old Moseley Arms, Balsall Heath

348s.jpg

On 09/01/2017 at 16:27, Shropshire Lad said:

image.jpg

Was in there before and after the Wolves game. 

Bar staff are genius,  like a well oiled machine. I was well oiled when I got home also. 

Edited by sidcow

On 05/02/2017 at 14:04, Xela said:

CAMRA Birmingham Pub of the Year

Never been. Has anyone here frequented it? In Acocks Green

JS54696905.jpg

NWP_BEM_160115InnGreen_10.jpg

2nd was Black Eagle, Hockley

BP3308788@.jpg

Third - Old Moseley Arms, Balsall Heath

348s.jpg

I have twice visited the inn on the green.  For 15 years I could have reasonably walked to it from home but never visited in that time. 

First time was when I was about 19, me and a mate had taken a couple of girls bowling and popped in. It was like that scene from American Werewolf in London.  The whole pub went silent to hear a pin drop and EVERYONE turned to look at us.  I think it was called The Beagle Flies Again in those days and was truly truly awful. 

I then went there about 5 months ago on a corporate doo because one of our suppliers lives in Acocks Green so invited us to the beer festival there as 3 other of my colleagues are fairly local to it. 

It's still a dump but a good ale pub.  I think some of the regulars are still probably a bit suspect but probably harmless. I would say definitely worth a visit if you like your Ale but probably not a destination type of pub. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Â