The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

35 minutes ago, Xela said:

Some decent looking boozers there pal. My parents have just come back from a week in Shropshire, they rented a cottage in Much Wenlock and loved it,  and I think they had a day in Bridgnorth with a pub lunch, so may well have been at one of those venues. 

Yeah, there are a few more good pubs in Bridgnorth, plenty to choose from. 

Much Wenlock is a lovely little place, we went there last year (as part of getting the missus familiar with the area-she's from Bristol). Managed to nip in to The George and the Dragon for a bit of lunch and a (soft) drink, a proper cosy pub.

IMG_0303.JPG

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yeah, there are a few more good pubs in Bridgnorth, plenty to choose from. 

Much Wenlock is a lovely little place, we went there last year (as part of getting the missus familiar with the area-she's from Bristol). Managed to nip in to The George and the Dragon for a bit of lunch and a (soft) drink, a proper cosy pub.

IMG_0303.JPG

My old man did mention that place, they were right by it. Also one called The Talbot? 

They really enjoyed it. They are looking to move out of Brum in the next few years and Shropshire is probably looking favourite now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Apparently the Aston Social is going up for auction today.  We're going to have no match day ;pubs left soon.

Yup. might not have a pub to go into tomorrow :(

Was a bit shocked when told this on Saturday. Been drinking in there for years. 

They still have loads of signs up saying the place isn't closing down there :lol: 

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Apparently the Aston Social is going up for auction today.  We're going to have no match day ;pubs left soon.

It's an absolute wasteland round VP these days. Back in the day, I'd flit between 4 or 5 different pubs on a match day, now if you want to drink near the ground, it's Aston Social, or Aston Tavern the one end, or the Witton Arms the other. Otherwise you're looking at a bit of a trek.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Tavern is going to be rammed as it will be bearing all the traffic from both the Social and the Addies.

Going to be city centre drinking in future I reckon.

Yeah, I was down for the Ipswich game, went in the Tavern, and getting served was a bit of an ordeal. Plus £3 to get in, and not shy of £4 a pint. Bit of a rip off.

I used to drink in my local pre match also, many moons ago. It was alright, but I always felt like it wasn't a match day, as you didn't get the buzz of being among the faithful, and having a bit of a sing. I think drinking in Town would be a similar experience, plus living in Erdington (as I did), I never really had to go through town to get to Aston / Witton.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

It's an absolute wasteland round VP these days. Back in the day, I'd flit between 4 or 5 different pubs on a match day, now if you want to drink near the ground, it's Aston Social, or Aston Tavern the one end, or the Witton Arms the other. Otherwise you're looking at a bit of a trek.

They just don't get any traffic during non match days. Down to the changing demographic of the area, where public houses are not part of the culture.

Does the Holte pub open anymore?

5 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Tavern is going to be rammed as it will be bearing all the traffic from both the Social and the Addies.

Going to be city centre drinking in future I reckon.

Isn't that a bit of a gastro pub? Never been in myself but remember seeing pics of it and it looked pretty plush for an Aston boozer!

1 hour ago, Xela said:

They just don't get any traffic during non match days. Down to the changing demographic of the area, where public houses are not part of the culture.

Oh totally. It will be interesting to see if anything ever comes from the talk of Dr Tone, regenerating the area around VP, but maybe that's for another thread.

There is still sacred heart near the ground as well, although it is always packed after a game. Few years ago used to love the Aston Hotel after a game, you'd be in there a couple of hours, but with everyone partying and dancing on tables it would feel like it was the army hours of the morning. 

On 2/27/2017 at 20:22, mikeyp102 said:

Going to the Hen and Chickens constitution hill Saturday for the tandoori mix grill. Anyone been?

Been a couple of times and food excellent. Very small place though so may be best to reserve a table if you are going at peak sport watching hours.

• Like 2

Maybe someone on facetwit can poke Dr Tony and express people's concerns. If you play the part of football culture card (which it is) he might see a way to invest in something. 

Hate that Bluescum have loads of bars to choose from yet we have such slim pickings even though I rarely drink before or after a game. 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Been a couple of times and food excellent. Very small place though so may be best to reserve a table if you are going at peak sport watching hours.

Yeah heard it's small. Should be there by 2pm so hoping not too busy at that time

Â