The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

41 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No surprise that my MP, Andrew Mitchell, has apparently got SIX consultancy jobs on the side.

You could put a blue tie on a plant pot in Sutton Coldfield and it would get elected

He is just appalling. It really bothers me that someone like him who has no ties with the area gets voted in every single time regardless. Grrrrr.

Just now, Genie said:

I was shocked the Tory MP for Tamworth (Christopher Pincher) has no other revenue streams… that’s even more suspicious 

Mine, Theo Clarke seems to be above board, or not declaring. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Mine, Theo Clarke seems to be above board, or not declaring. 

That’s the problem with this mob. It should be that you declare without hesitation but we are all so inured to their deceit that it is pretty much a given that they have revenue streams they’re not declaring. 
Sometimes I wonder if I’m too cynical but then one of them will do something that only reinforces my perception. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

No surprise that my MP, Andrew Mitchell, has apparently got SIX consultancy jobs on the side.

You could put a blue tie on a plant pot in Sutton Coldfield and it would get elected

My constituency (Rushcliffe) is similar, or at least was similar.  Will be interesting to see what happens at the next GE.

In short, it's basically always been a Conservative safe seat.  Ken Clarke was largely well liked - despite being a Tory - and held the seat for approx. 381 years before being expelled as a Conservative MP.  He was born in the area, cared about the area, listened to (mostly) everyone, took time to attend meetings - all the things that an MP should be, I suppose (:D).  After being expelled, the Conservative "runner" became Ruth Edwards.  She doesn't live in the area, doesn't respond to people at all, doesn't attend meetings - may as well be a plant pot, to be honest.  The Tory vote share was reduced at the last GE (I think because Clarke didn't run); though, frustratingly, it went to the Lib Dems rather than Labour which was probably expected.  If the switch was to Labour, it would've been an incredibly close call on which colour the constituency became.

In any case, people don't like Ruth Edwards lack of... being an MP.  There will be a large "always voting Tory" element to Rushcliffe as it includes very, very wealthy areas - it's very much a wealthy area on the whole.  But large parts - including where I live - are actually full of lefties.  A lot of people will have respected what Clarke did for the community and voted for him because of that, not looking at party lines (probably how people "should" vote) and the seeming disconnect between Edwards and the people may well swing votes elsewhere.  There could even be a big swing to Green should someone stand this time round as there's a large concern about the environment in (parts of) Rushcliffe too.

Oh, and more on topic, of course Edwards is doing jobs on the side.  From her Wiki

"According to The Register of Members’ Financial Interests As at 1 November 2021[17] she is "A director of Mongoose Bridges Ltd. From 1 May 2021 to 1 May 2022, Adviser to MHR International UK Ltd (HR and payroll software and solutions), Peterbridge House, The Lakes, Northampton NN4 7HB. Mongoose Bridges ltd receives £5,000 a month for providing advice on public sector, technology strategy and cyber security. Hours: 16 hrs a month. since 1 May 2021. (Registered 01 June 2021)". Mongoose Bridges Ltd is a private company which Companies House lists as "an active Private Limited Company, registered at Companies House under the number 11315167" and conducting "activities related to the SIC Code 01500 - Mixed farming."

Shrug.

33 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I grew up there. 

I don't think Labour voters even vote as it's so very blue.

There are not that many poor parts of Sutton either and the house prices are on another level.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. I very much get the feeling of "What's the point?" when I'm voting there

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, choffer said:

Tories own farmland. Lots of it

You don't say.

Nearly 50,000 miles of public footpaths could be closed to the public under government plans, campaigners have warned.

Ramblers, a walking charity, says "over 49,000 miles of paths … could be lost forever" under government plans to register walking routes by January 1, 2026. Any routes not registered by the deadline will be blocked from being added to the list at a later date, meaning the public will lose the right of way for ever.

Bristol Post

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

"A director of Mongoose Bridges Ltd. From 1 May 2021 to 1 May 2022

That's her and her husbands farm business in Melton Mowbray. It's only two directors are her and him.

And that kind of highlights another issue here, should people be expected to give up businesses they've worked possibly their life to create to become an MP. (Not true in this case as it happens but...) The issue isn't as cut and dried as it first seems

1 minute ago, bickster said:

That's her and her husbands farm business in Melton Mowbray. It's only two directors are her and him.

And that kind of highlights another issue here, should people be expected to give up businesses they've worked possibly their life to create to become an MP. (Not true in this case as it happens but...) The issue isn't as cut and dried as it first seems

"Mongoose Bridges ltd receives £5,000 a month for providing advice on public sector, technology strategy and cyber security. Hours: 16 hrs a month. since 1 May 2021"

Interesting farm business.

(Edit:  But as a general point, I agree)

Edited by bobzy

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I think they should make the choice, one or the other.
You can’t bet on football if you’re a footballer.

You can’t be unvaccinated if you’re in the care industry

You can’t work for other businesses if you’re an MP.

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

"Mongoose Bridges ltd receives £5,000 a month for providing advice on public sector, technology strategy and cyber security. Hours: 16 hrs a month. since 1 May 2021"

Interesting farm business.

(Edit:  But as a general point, I agree)

Look it up on companies house, its their farm. She probably makes sure the Wifi works and tbh her previous work experience is in cyber-security

I agree it’s not clear cut but it could be much more clear.

The example of the MP who is a linesman, fine.

Run a local gardening company, fine.

Work in a local shop, fine.

Get paid thousands from global corporations who have dealings with the government for non specific advisory roles for a small amount of hours, not fine. Should be banned. 

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think they should make the choice, one or the other.
You can’t bet on football if you’re a footballer.

You can’t be unvaccinated if you’re in the care industry

You can’t work for other businesses if you’re an MP.

Nonsense.

What if that business has been in the family for generations and employs a lot of your relatives and other people in your constituency? Should you be forced to sell it to become an MP?

It really isn't as simple as you paint.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I agree it’s not clear cut but it could be much more clear.

The example of the MP who is a linesman, fine.

Run a local gardening company, fine.

Work in a local shop, fine.

Get paid thousands from global corporations who have dealings with the government for non specific advisory roles for a small amount of hours, not fine. Should be banned. 

Geoffrey Cox is a QC and the issue in question he was representing another countries government against the UK Government in a dishonesty case, where does that fit in with your examples? To me, its a well paid linesman

I was waiting for a train very early one morning with a few other commuters around last year, and Andrew Mitchell scurried down the platform in front of us, looking genuinely unsettled to be around the great unwashed.

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Geoffrey Cox is a QC and the issue in question he was representing another countries government against the UK Government in a dishonesty case, where does that fit in with your examples? To me, its a well paid linesman

There would be a set of questions to answer with regards to the nature of the work and how it relates to the UK government.

Something which directly involved the UK government would be a major no-no. You do one or the other for obvious reasons.

Same for MP’s taking money from any business which is a direct supplier of goods or services to the government. 

MP’s who have other businesses or jobs which have no direct link to the UK government, fine. 

There clear and obvious conflicts of interests need to be weeded out. You, me, and everyone else knows why some MPs are paid large sums of money for doing very little.

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

I broadly agree. There are always going to be exceptions, but if you want a broad line to divide along, "stuff you did before you became an MP = fine, stuff that you do because of your potential power and influence as an MP = not fine".

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

There would be a set of questions to answer with regards to the nature of the work and how it relates to the UK government.

Something which directly involved the UK government would be a major no-no. You do one or the other for obvious reasons.

Same for MP’s taking money from any business which is a direct supplier of goods or services to the government. 

MP’s who have other businesses or jobs which have no direct link to the UK government, fine. 

There clear and obvious conflicts of interests need to be weeded out. You, me, and everyone else knows why some MPs are paid large sums of money for doing very little.

I'm not sure where the clear and obvious conflicts of interest are. He's a QC, he presents a legal argument to a court as dictated by his clients wishes, which of course he can advise upon but in this instance his was presenting an argument AGAINST the UK Government of which he is a part of. If his clients had an issue with his impartiality, it is a concern for them not the British public. I'm also fairly sure that a practicing QC cannot actually turn down a client

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm not sure where the clear and obvious conflicts of interest are. 

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

in this instance his was presenting an argument AGAINST the UK Government of which he is a part of

:lol:

Its probably another which looks completely wrong, but probably doesn’t break any rules.

Â