The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

12 hours ago, a m ole said:

Liars and cheats.

Quite, quite unfair - they're not liars and cheats, because, you see, the rules simply don't apply to them. Rules are for other people, don't you understand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Facts just don't matter.

And in other "half-witted former cabinet ministers" news, David Davis and his cohorts are planning to use a "humble address" to force publication* of the DexEU version of the white paper.

That's the very same freedom of information loving David Davis who fought tooth and claw to prevent any shred of information being released when he was in charge (sic).

*Although given anyone can read the whole, unabridged thing on the ConservativeHome website already, I'm not sure why they're bothering.

OGFV3rB.jpg?1

A former Olympic showjumper used pig’s blood to daub lewd messages inside a Tory peer’s house after she found he had cheated on her, a court has heard.

Eastern Daily Press

She left a cheque to cover the clean up :D

A good old fashioned British Sex Comedy to lighten the mood.

On 18/07/2018 at 17:33, StefanAVFC said:

Facts just don't matter.

Well they kind of do. This idiot has tried to take the prices at the close of business and use them for his comparison. The pound opened at $1.20 on January 17 (before the speech) and closed at $1.24 (after the speech). I think, as a guy who has worked in commodities, that a 4 cent movement in a single day can legitimately be described as ‘soaring’.

15 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Well they kind of do. This idiot has tried to take the prices at the close of business and use them for his comparison. The pound opened at $1.20 on January 17 (before the speech) and closed at $1.24 (after the speech). I think, as a guy who has worked in commodities, that a 4 cent movement in a single day can legitimately be described as ‘soaring’.

It's all semsantics really, but the way I look at it, a very brief spike is what occurred - there was no enduring or more than incredibly fleeting impact on currency resulting from that speech. If the speech signalled some significant re-alignment the currency shift would have lasted longer than a few hours, wouldn't it? Johnson is a bell.

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's all semsantics really, but the way I look at it, a very brief spike is what occurred - there was no enduring or more than incredibly fleeting impact on currency resulting from that speech. If the speech signalled some significant re-alignment the currency shift would have lasted longer than a few hours, wouldn't it? Johnson is a bell.

Johnson may well be a bell but that doesn’t mean we should try to bend facts to make the case. The tweet implies that the market didn’t react positively to the Lancaster House speech whereas in fact more than 24 hours later the pound was still trading up over 3%. This would suggest that the market saw the speech, even on cool reflection, as largely positive. 

1 hour ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

This would suggest that the market saw the speech, even on cool reflection, as largely positive. 

I disagree. The market was back where it was before the speech very shortly afterwards. I percieve the essence being "Ooh May is going to clarify some stuff, that's good, that's give certainty, which we like, ooh, her she is talking [pound goes up]"...then "well on digesting what she said, it's not what we needed [pound goes back down]" in consequence I think the fleeting spike was caused by hope then disappointment and Johnson was wrong to imply the speech (contents) were recieved positively by the markets. They weren't (based on the value of the pound). 

• Like 1

The idea that one speech is the only thing that affects a financial market on a particular day is completely and utterly preposterous and a gross simplification. To use it as evidence of anything is ridiculous.

Financial markets are complex, yes they reacted to it, they reacted to a lot of other things too

• Like 2

The Chief Whip has been accused of "lying" to one of his own MPs after she was allegedly told to vote repeatedly during her maternity leave.

Julian Smith allegedly told Andrea Jenkyns that she had to vote in the wake of the snap election in June last year because Labour was refusing to "pair" with her.

She voted more than a dozen times, putting her son in the Commons nursery from the age of 12 weeks while she was in Parliament or even bringing him into the chamber.
Labour subsequently said the MP's name was not put forward for pairing by Tory whips, prompting a furious response from Ms Jenkyns

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/07/20/tory-chief-whip-accused-lying-tory-mp-allegedly-told-vote-maternity/

”mistake”

Edited by a m ole

Â