The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

55 minutes ago, Genie said:

I have a suspicion that people on benefits vote less regularly than those not. Nothing to back that up, but just my gut feeling.

Sadly, I agree. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I have a suspicion that people on benefits vote less regularly than those not. Nothing to back that up, but just my gut feeling.

And also, a lot of those that do vote are somehow conned into voting blue anyway.

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

And also, a lot of those that do vote are somehow conned into voting blue anyway.

cos they have been tricked into believing they are poor because of foreigners 

edit: beaten by 2 seconds by @bickster

Edited by Genie

Anyone ever heard of Sir James Duddridge MP? He's held a whole heap of junior minister type roles and still not managed to make a name for himself... anyway this complete nonentity, the MP for Rochford and Southend East has decided not to defend his 12k majority at the next election

More than likely he knows from past results that he'll likely lose

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

Rishi Sunak has said today the time has come (as inflation is below is target) to cut taxes. Let’s see then. 

More scorched earth for when Labour are forced to increase them again. 

• Like 2

Just now, bickster said:

yep, Inheritance tax and business tax

Not saying it’s the right thing to do but I think income tax will get a token, small, reduction just so he can harp on about the party of low taxes for 6 months.

Just now, Genie said:

Not saying it’s the right thing to do but I think income tax will get a token, small, reduction just so he can harp on about the party of low taxes for 6 months.

It won't unless it is to raise the threshold of higher rate from £50k to something daft like £52K and promise to keep doing this by £2k a year or something daft

1 minute ago, bickster said:

It won't unless it is to raise the threshold of higher rate from £50k to something daft like £52K and promise to keep doing this by £2k a year or something daft

They do daft extremely well

• Like 1

On 19/11/2023 at 19:37, Genie said:

My suspicion is he’ll cut income tax by a tiny amount just so they can say they did it, but then do a bigger cut on some things for the wealthy.

Maybe increase the personal.allowance by a little bit or promise cuts in income tax next  year when it's closer to.the election. Think inheritance tax cuts is pointless now. Thst money can be used far more wisely 

9 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

It is certainly pointless for the masses. According to Martin Lewis only 4% of us pay inheritance tax.

This has only really become a “thing” because they (and tbf successive governments before them) have allowed house prices to skyrocket, particularly in London and the “Home Counties” where a house that’s maybe £150-200k north of Watford gap is north of a million quid south of it.

They've allowed a class of people to be created who are very asset rich but cash poor (or maybe slightly better). They don’t see themselves as wealthy sitting in their million pound 2 bed London terrace house because they’re struggling to buy food like everyone else.

Even if they do cut income tax, it's going to be a pointless exercise. The gap between any proposed minor income tax cut and the interest rate rises of the last few years is going to be too large. We need to concentrate on getting interest rates down to 2%, otherwise the gap is going to keep rising at an unaffordable rate, albeit less quickly. When we get closer to that then cut income tax.

This is nothing more than a cheap political move to say "we've cut taxes".

There needs to be cuts for small businesses.

• Like 1

Surely any surplus should be first used to cut national debt which has rocketed at a time of high borrowing costs.

That puts the nation in a better place in future 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Surely any surplus should be first used to cut national debt which has rocketed at a time of high borrowing costs.

That puts the nation in a better place in future 

Yep, paying down the debt frees up money otherwise spent on interest that can be spent on services. Fair too sensible.

Â