The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Are you paid to spin news for the tory party, or do you just enjoy it? :) 

You're just jealous cause I beat you to the punchline :) 

• Like 1

Jokes aside, there's a pretty significant difference between a politician being religious and keeping their views mostly to themselves and away from their policy (though I still have little interest in being governed by someone who  believes in a magic man in the sky), and a politician visiting schools in an official capacity and basically using hate speech. "Dangerous to society". **** hell. Homosexuals are nowhere near as dangerous to society as a man like that.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Jokes aside, there's a pretty significant difference between a politician being religious and keeping their views mostly to themselves and away from their policy (though I still have little interest in being governed by someone who  believes in a magic man in the sky), and a politician visiting schools in an official capacity and basically using hate speech. "Dangerous to society". **** hell. Homosexuals are nowhere near as dangerous to society as a man like that.  

Yeah I agree  fwiw 

If he'd have done a speech at a school and picked another minority and said they were dangerous to society he'd be getting in serious trouble (imagine if he'd have said Asians are a danger to society, or Jew's etc.) That he gets away talking prejudice bull about homosexuality, by hiding behind religion, is the problem. 

To be honest I'm not a major fan of the Tory party, however the choice that we currently have on offer is abysmal. Corbyn has no clue, UKIP is just a mess and LibDems have proven that they have nothing to do in government. The only ones who seem to be able to keep the ship steady are the tories. I know that's hard to fathom for a lot of people - but until we do something about the parties going up against the tories they are going to be in power for a long long time.

Edited by magnkarl

Andrea Jenkyns is the MP for Morley & Outwood (her most famous distinction is beating Ed Balls at the last election). A couple of days ago, she tweeted a picture. The picture, and her comment on it, are replicated below:

For those who can't be bothered, the text on the sign reads:

'DEAR LABOUR CANVASSERS,

A PROUD FORCES VETERAN LIVES HERE

YOUR LEADER SUPPORTS THE IRA.

KNOCK AT YOUR OWN RISK'

One of the neighbouring constituencies of Morley & Outwood is Batley & Spen. Jo Cox MP was murdered for her political beliefs approximately three miles from the edge of Jenkyns' constituency. 

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Might you suggest that they are strong and stable?

Yeah, as stable as we can get. I voted Tories last time (Winchester - extremely liberal leftist city) and I probably will in the next elections so there's no need for the confrontative approach. I am however of the opinion that the Tories will have NO opposition strong enough to keep them on their feet, and that isn't good for any country that hopes to be democratic. Theresa May has been blessed with a complete political vacuum on the left which could ultimately be her downfall if she passes the wrong legislation.

3 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

there's no need for the confrontative approach

Yet, in the GE thread you posted possibly one of the most confrontational posts I've ever seen on this forum.

13 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Yeah, as stable as we can get. I voted Tories last time (Winchester - extremely liberal leftist city) and I probably will in the next elections so there's no need for the confrontative approach. I am however of the opinion that the Tories will have NO opposition strong enough to keep them on their feet, and that isn't good for any country that hopes to be democratic. Theresa May has been blessed with a complete political vacuum on the left which could ultimately be her downfall if she passes the wrong legislation.

sounds like something a leftist university safe space snowflake liberal would say

• Like 2

I seem to have struck a nerve. The whole point of a democratic country is discourse and being able to discuss things. Sadly politics aren't about that anymore, but rather who can dismiss the other in a more downgrading way. I went to probably the most conservative uni in the country and I am by no means a liberal. I don't think any country can work on the back of everyone paying for the common good when you have 10% of the work able populace scamming the system. The only country where social democracy works is Norway and that is because they have a horrendous amount of money to pump into society. 

5 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I seem to have struck a nerve. The whole point of a democratic country is discourse and being able to discuss things. Sadly politics aren't about that anymore, but rather who can dismiss the other in a more downgrading way. I went to probably the most conservative uni in the country and I am by no means a liberal. I don't think any country can work on the back of everyone paying for the common good when you have 10% of the work able populace scamming the system. The only country where social democracy works is Norway and that is because they have a horrendous amount of money to pump into society. 

You haven't struck a nerve, your idea of discourse seems to be to saying ridiculous things and get offended when it's criticised.

For example, 10% of the populace is not scamming the system. That's absolute bollocks, and is just as much intelligent debate as me highlighting your suscpetibility to conservative sound bites.

Edited by a m ole

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

You haven't struck a nerve, your idea of discourse seems to be to saying ridiculous things and get offended when it's criticised.

For example, 10% of the populace is not scamming the system. That's absolute bollocks, and is just as much intelligent debate as me highlighting your suscpetibility to conservative sound bites.

I did not say populace, did I? Read my post againt. WORK ABLE population. Do your math and come back to me.

Okay. So how many people do you consider to be unemployed in the UK? To me someone who work 1 day a week for job centre is unemployed (650k), however by our current state statistics they are considered employed. If you remove all temporary workers, all people considered "inactive" by our government (another way of saying in between jobs - 2.26m). On top of this comes part time workers who again is considered 100% employed in our statistics instead of the percentile of work that they have (1.35m). The last category is the "headlined unemployed" as they are called. People with no work whatsoever that fits all the categories set out to them. This is 2.67 million people.

So pick and choose your mix of unemployed people:

Work centre related employment: 650k

Inactive: 2.26m (in fact this number is probably higher, but 2.26 million of the people classed as inactive has said that they want a full time job)

Part time 1.35m - I'll take this down to 700k based on the fact that the average employment is 45% on part time workers.

Headline unemployed: 2.67m

The current UK population is estimated at 65.4 million. With the above figures 6.28million people are unemployed. 9.8% of Britain is unemployed. Are you going to insult me for possibly insinuating that people take advantage of our system?

Edited by magnkarl

Okay, let me rephrase. Not all unemployed people are scamming the system. A lot of people are. Are you not going to get your back up at my 10%? I love people who like to argue until facts come out and then go very silent and argue side points. This is a lot of the problem with our current political system, people deflect, insult and cannot handle the portrayal of their "rose tinted" truth to be wrong. Politics have been taken down to a level where it's all about rhetoric instead of facts and that saddens me.

Okay, so how many people does the UK have fit to work? If you come to throw down then at least do your research. 

Current estimated population: 65.4m

+65 years and over 17.1% - 11.6m

0-16 years 18.8% - 12.29m

There were 22.9 million people in work in 2016.

considering we have 6.28 million people unemployed, do you not consider it to be possible that 2.2 million of them could be in work if they tried a bit harder? That is 10% of the working populace. Again, facts are a lot harder to argue against than whatever personal/political/emotional response you have to work statistics.

PS: Thank you for trying to insult me again.

Edited by magnkarl

Â