The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Surely the only chance of getting these nutjobs out now is to unite behind the Labour party and its leader even if you think in some weird logic that you won't support the leader because he won't win.

It doesn't take much to swing people in these instant gratification, fake, x-factor entertainment times.

Labour can't support anything but the ref result with brexit, they'll lose either side.

No-one cares about what Corbyn does in PMQ's because most papers just report it as a 'May victory' anyway, even when mostly it's just her reading out some crap joke and not answering any questions.

Why not at least make an effort to turf that smug git out of no. 10?

Just now, darrenm said:

I think you answered your own question

Just now, darrenm said:

Corbyn

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Surely the only chance of getting these nutjobs out now is to unite behind the Labour party and its leader even if you think in some weird logic that you won't support the leader because he won't win.

It doesn't take much to swing people in these instant gratification, fake, x-factor entertainment times.

Labour can't support anything but the ref result with brexit, they'll lose either side.

No-one cares about what Corbyn does in PMQ's because most papers just report it as a 'May victory' anyway, even when mostly it's just her reading out some crap joke and not answering any questions.

As per the other thread, vote tactically to get rid of the hollow shell of a person that's currently PM. Labour is an utter effing shambles, led by an incompetent dingbat. Insufficient people are going to "unite behind" labour because it's a fractured party, unfit to govern - it is undeserving of people uniting behind it. It's not united itself. Labour cannot and will not win. The best thing would be to get th cynical calling of an election to rebound on May, and for various LibDem, Green, Labour, SNP, Plaid and others to get a majority between them, but I can't see that happening. I suspect that the tories will get back in with a bigger majority and make a further mess of the country.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, blandy said:

As per the other thread, vote tactically to get rid of the hollow shell of a person that's currently PM. Labour is an utter effing shambles, led by an incompetent dingbat. Insufficient people are going to "unite behind" labour because it's a fractured party, unfit to govern - it is undeserving of people uniting behind it. It's not united itself. Labour cannot and will not win. The best thing would be to get th cynical calling of an election to rebound on May, and for various LibDem, Green, Labour, SNP, Plaid and others to get a majority between them, but I can't see that happening. I suspect that the tories will get back in with a bigger majority and make a further mess of the country.

While I disagree with the 2nd sentence, I thoroughly agree with the tactics. I was just looking at the spreadsheet myself. Seems a good way to go. I live in a massively safe Tory seat :( so my vote won't count for much.

• Like 1

just thinking about this tactical voting bit. I'm not sure it's necessarily the right thing to do. I could understand it if you thought it might be a close election and could possibly change a result. But this time around I can't see Labour getting close. So what if the Tories lead by 100 seats and it gets back to 98. I could see Labour pulling votes from ukip so maybe the result wouldn't be as bad as some think. Perhaps the worst thing that could happen for them would be that not only do they get comprehensively beaten but the tactical voting away from them could push them so low in the share of the vote

15 minutes ago, colhint said:

just thinking about this tactical voting bit. I'm not sure it's necessarily the right thing to do. I could understand it if you thought it might be a close election and could possibly change a result. But this time around I can't see Labour getting close. So what if the Tories lead by 100 seats and it gets back to 98. I could see Labour pulling votes from ukip so maybe the result wouldn't be as bad as some think. Perhaps the worst thing that could happen for them would be that not only do they get comprehensively beaten but the tactical voting away from them could push them so low in the share of the vote

Yeah, I understand that.

Thing is though, no one knows as a fact which person will win in each individual seat - it might end up like you say, with 100 extra tories, or 98. But as an individual voter, me, I don't like the tories, All i can do is one of 4 things

a: stay at home

b: go and spoil my ballot

c: vote for the party I most like

d: vote for the party most likely to beat the tories where I live.

Only d is likely to potentially, make the remotest difference.

And if I decided to stay at home, and instead of the 100 extra tories it turned out there were only a handful, then my vote just conceivably might have mattered, if I'd bothered.

note. It won't matter, I live in a safe tory seat that voted leave. Bollocks.

From Gary Gibbon:

No 10 is saying there will be no TV debates cluttering up your screens in this election.

Rather than go down the route of pretending they’re longing for such things to happen but the logistics might be tricky they’ve gone for a more open approach: forget it.

Don’t expect many press conferences either or extended interviews.

Theresa May is not a huge fan of these sorts of encounters and her team think they open up risks that don’t need to be taken. So the 2017 general election will make the 2015 one look like “access all areas” as far as the Tories are concerned.

I hear the manifesto will probably be a slimmed down affair too. Mrs May didn’t think much of the 2015 effort with its 500 or so commitments. One minister said it was a “Christmas tree” of a document and “written without any thought to post-Brexit Britain.” But quite how much shape Mrs May wants to put on post -Brexit Britain at this stage is another matter.

What will the immigration, agriculture or state aid sections of the manifesto look like? How much will Mrs May want to spell out ring-fencing or the end of ring-fencing for some departments? What will she want to say about the pensioner triple lock in an election in which differential generational turnout could be key?

Theresa May’s team have had more time to ponder these things because they knew an early election was a possibility but it’s not clear how advanced the work is and whether it will be a manifesto more of themes than commitments.

Obviously, we'll have to wait and see what the manifesto and the election campaign actually looks like but if we do get the kind of manifesto that Gibbon is talking about then that has to be seen in context with the 'Great Repeal Bill' and the white paper published the other week. It looks like the very real and very worrying possibility of 'strong' government.

It's polling season!

Since we can be certain that 'Maggie' May isn't going to be deposed by Labour any time soon, if ever again as currently constituted, can you peer into your crystal ball / tea leaves / octopus tank and divine what will be her eventual downfall?

a] betrayal by Tory Leavers

b] betrayal by Tory Remainers

c] putsch led by FTSE 500 Junta

d] Trump Nuclear Winter®

e] assassin's bullet

f] old age

g] boredom

h] saline deficiency due to quantity of salt tears shed at lack of worlds to conquer

i] chokes on crisps

j] other (please specify)

• Like 1

Reclaimed by hell for overstepping bounds.

Intergalactic escape after her skin suit degrades too much to no longer hide her draconid form.

Stake through the heart whilst sleeping in her coffin bed.

24 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Not surprised that she's refusing to debate, she gets a new arsehole ripped in every PMQs. She's basically a **** sieve at this point.

This. I can't believe the amount of people who say Corbyn doesn't hold her to account. If people actually watch them he demands answers but she refuses to give anything straight. She'll just make a crap joke about his suit or his popularity or something and dodge everything.

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

This. I can't believe the amount of people who say Corbyn doesn't hold her to account. If people actually watch them he demands answers but she refuses to give anything straight. She'll just make a crap joke about his suit or his popularity or something and dodge everything.

So in other words she  "wins"

7 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Not in any definition I use!

Yes but you aren't looking at it the right way .... not answering the question is what PMQ's is all about ... it's not about a talent show voted on by users of twitter 

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

not answering the question is what PMQ's is all about ... it's not about a talent show voted on by users of twitter

That's quite possibly one of the the most inane things I've read on VT (Off Topic). Re-read what you've written there, Tony.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

Â