The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

There hasn't been a change of view and your assertion that people having an issue with May only because of 'Pop Idol politics' is frankly insulting.

The post I was replying to was specifically about her TV performance , so your assertions are invalid 

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I wasn't arguing that she wasn't being robotic , just my amusement at the apparent change of view 

not sure why the first part of your post even exists, surely it's not there for deflection purposes as nobody was suggesting that was your argument, others have commented already on your second part of your post, guess what people find amusing is very much each to their own, you should be applauded for creating self amusement where non exists,

Edited by mockingbird_franklin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mockingbird_franklin said:

not sure why the first part of your post even exists, surely it's not there for deflection purposes as nobody was suggesting that was your argument, the second part is as others have pointed out, utter nonsense

Ah if in doubt play the deflection card , now we rally are going full circle :) 

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

The post I was replying to was specifically about her TV performance , so your assertions are invalid 

Her TV performance isn't poor purely down to her image though. That's total nonsense.

As stated, she's wooden in not only 'her' but in what she says with both on the spot questions and prepared answers. That doesn't even go into the dog whistle, empty soundbites and the constant flipflops.

She's a absolute walking disaster. And don't you dare tell me I only hold that view because I don't like her image and I'm shallow enough to engage in such Pop Idol nonsense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

well you can only deal the cards as they appear in the pack, 

unless your an underhand bottom of the deck dealing kind of person, but i've never been a slight of hand type of guy, probably why i don't usually like politicians and tory ones in particular

12 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

so we are sort of caught in a loop, appropriate really seeing as the subject is Ms May, the loopmeister general

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

She seriously looks out of her depth. And that's without my rose tinted spectacles on. I wonder if the people behind pulling the strings are starting to worry that their frontwoman is not up to it. She's been kept away from the public as it is but she can't completely hide until the election. Every time she goes on TV she loses the Tories 5 points.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Kinda amusing how when Brown was stuggling with the PR people complained about Pop Idol politics ...and now it seems pop idol is the measuring stick

Your reply implies things Darren doesn't say.

2 minutes ago, mockingbird_franklin said:

so we are sort of caught in a loop, appropriate really seeing as the subject is Ms May, the loopmeister general

I seem to keep quoting him but Portilo mentioned when he was taught politics they were told repeat something over and over and when everyone else  is sick of it someone will be hearing it for the first time ... I'm guessing May is old school and following that mantra ... only difference is that the Portilo era didn't have the same widespread coverage  we have now so she needs to pick up a new copy of politics for beginners and try something new 

13 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Her TV performance isn't poor purely down to her image though. That's total nonsense.

As stated, she's wooden in not only 'her' but in what she says with both on the spot questions and prepared answers. That doesn't even go into the dog whistle, empty soundbites and the constant flipflops.

She's a absolute walking disaster. And don't you dare tell me I only hold that view because I don't like her image and I'm shallow enough to engage in such Pop Idol nonsense.

They might have been better replacing Ms may with a virtual *max headroom sort of creation where the appropriate soundbite could be summoned, probably with more humanity and charisma too, i could quite easily make a vsti using samples of Ms May if they are interested.

*archaic pop culture reference that anybody who isnt ancient won't get

29 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I wasn't arguing that she wasn't being robotic , just my amusement at the apparent change of view 

It's more my disillusionment that a party will comfortably get re-elected through pure soundbites (as happened in 2015) than actually giving proper analysis of how to sort out big problems like the NHS and Teaching.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I seem to keep quoting him but Portilo mentioned when he was taught politics they were told repeat something over and over and when everyone else  is sick of it someone will be hearing it for the first time ... I'm guessing May is old school and following that mantra ... only difference is that the Portilo era didn't have the same widespread coverage  we have now so she needs to pick up a new copy of politics for beginners and try something new 

she could try talking about policies and how they differ, from the opposition oh sorry that would expose how at odds with her paties sounbites. Might even make a few people realise with horror that her opposition has quite a few policies they like and agree with, also makes it a little harder to steal policies later and claim them as your own.

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Ah so you watch This Week aswell.

Aside from that awful Fraser guy who was on (if he's some sort of Corbyn cheerleader god help us) Portillo also made a good point that May in pretty much a year now has seemingly built a good approval base despite saying very little at all. He said that with a smile I seem to remember.

Maybe it's the way politics is going but when was the last time a prominent politician actually made a difference  with a belief or campaign in this country for a group of people? Andy Burnham getting the Hillsborough inquiry properly moving in 2009 is one I can think of and I've always respected him for that. Anything else?

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's more my disillusionment that a party will comfortably get re-elected through pure soundbites (as happened in 2015) than actually giving proper analysis of how to sort out big problems like the NHS and Teaching.

not quite true, like 2015, far right media propagandist publications masquerading as newspapers will play a big part in their victory and the size of it

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Corbyn hasn't been in public view has he?

not if you judge if he has or not by the media coverage of his public engagements. For some reason the media seem less keen to report on his actual interactions, seems they want to keep stuff quiet, which makes me suspect, but not know for definate that he's doing a better job of them and is far less robotc or wooden than other well known leaders might appear to be.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Aside from that awful Fraser guy who was on (if he's some sort of Corbyn cheerleader god help us) Portillo also made a good point that May in pretty much a year now has seemingly built a good approval base despite saying very little at all. He said that with a smile I seem to remember.

Maybe it's the way politics is going but when was the last time a prominent politician actually made a difference  with a belief or campaign in this country for a group of people? Andy Burnham getting the Hillsborough inquiry properly moving in 2009 is one I can think of and I've always respected him for that. Anything else?

Yeah Burnham is a good shout , he's from Liverpool if I recall ? It was  long time back now but I seem to recall he got heckled  at some Hillsborough memorial , I thought it was poor form under the circumstances , but maybe they felt he hadn't done enough at that time !!

Portilo is quite astute even if he was loathsome back in the day , I usually watch this week to see what him and Alan Johnson have to say ( johnson being another one I'm inclined to listen to , sometimes ) 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

Yeah Burnham is a good shout , he's from Liverpool if I recall ? It was  long time back now but I seem to recall he got heckled  at some Hillsborough memorial , I thought it was poor form under the circumstances , but maybe they felt he hadn't done enough at that time !!

Portilo is quite astute even if he was loathsome back in the day , I usually watch this week to see what him and Alan Johnson have to say ( johnson being another one I'm inclined to listen to , sometimes ) 

It was the 2009 memorial when the whole of the Kop stood up and chanted "Justice for the 96" at him very loudly for five minutes. After that he went away and got the inquiry probably moving and the judgements came out in I think September 2012 and then you had the civil cases in the court after.

I can't remember if it was standard for the secretary of sport and media to turn up at the memorial but at least he went away and did something properly about it and eventually the families got some answers.

Would've had him as Labour leader after Miliband tbh.

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Portillo also made a good point that May in pretty much a year now has seemingly built a good approval base despite saying very little at all. He said that with a smile I seem to remember.

well she doen't need to do a great deal when she has a tame and compliant press doing free promotional work for her,

Â