The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 hour ago, Jonesy7211 said:

I've seen this, I don't think some of them mind shitting on their own doorstep. Allegedly.

And then probably filming it for upload to special interest sites I expect. 

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

Has Dominic Cummings tweeted yet confirming that he and the PM had a full 2 conference on Pinchers previous alleged misdemeanours?

Well he's tweeted saying Johnson called him "Pincher by name pincher nature."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bickster said:

I just don't think Sam Freedman whoever he is, is making a valid point. I mean he's right to a degree but it isn't something that's just started, it started the day he formed the cabinet

He writes a good blog with his dad: https://samf.substack.com/

Who are we?

Sam is a Senior Adviser to Ark Schools, and a Senior Fellow at the Institute for Government. He’s spent his whole career in education policy. From 2010-2013 he was a Senior Policy Adviser to the Secretary of State at the UK Department for Education. After that he worked at the UK’s largest teacher training charity, Teach First, ending up as the Executive Director in charge of recruitment and teacher training. In 2018 he became CEO of Education Partnerships Group – an international charity providing policy support to Governments in sub-Saharan Africa. Following an extended stay in hospital in Spring 2021 (which you can read about here) he stepped down from that role and is now doing a range of advisory/consultancy work and a lot more writing. You can follow him on twitter @samfr.

Lawrence is Sam’s Dad. But in addition to that he is Emeritus Professor of War Studies at King’s College London, and former Vice-Principal. He is the author of numerous books including the bestselling Strategy: A History, The Future of War: A History, the two-volume Official History of the Falklands War. He was a member of the Chilcot Inquiry into the Iraq War, was knighted 2003 and appointed to the Privy Council in 2009. He is currently finishing a book called “Command: The Politics of Military Operations from Korea to Afghanistan” which will be released later this year. You can follow him on twitter @lawdavf.

He worked as a spad for Michael Gove in the early years of the Cameron govt, but all his opinions on economics, education, immigration, etc seem more Blairite/LD to me.

Good Twitter account to follow if you want an insider(ish) critical perspective on the Tories. A lot of the old Cameron and May era spads are quite interesting now, as they've dropped their guard a bit.

On 03/07/2022 at 14:47, KentVillan said:

As suspected, Boris has made a fool of her.

He says he knew about the previous but as they were either “resolved” or didn’t progress to formal complaint he didn’t deem it a reason to block his promotion.

The prime minister's official spokesman said Mr Johnson knew of "allegations that were either resolved or did not progress to a formal complaint", adding that "it was deemed not appropriate to stop an appointment simply because of unsubstantiated allegations".

So if you’ve “resolved” your sexual harassment allegation you’re back in the boss’s good books. What a world. 

The Beeb

When the boss is as crooked as Johnson what hope is there?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Genie said:

As suspected, Boris has made a fool of her.

She does that all by herself most mornings before the first piss of the day. Johnson doesn't need to assist her.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

She does that all by herself most mornings before the first piss of the day. Johnson doesn't need to assist her.

That’s the one thing this government are good at.

• Like 1

So Theresa Coffey say she was told today that the PM was not aware. So either she, or whoever told her at Number 10 that is lying.

They are also going with “The PM acted swiftly to suspend Pincher” but he said he considered the matter closed after he’d resigned the deputy chief whip role. He didn’t actually act at all. Another lie.

Its absolutely relentless.

Edited by Genie

The moronically stupid thing is, the problem is a lack of homes.

Giving people access to 50 year mortgages will give them access to more credit.

Which will push house prices up.

AS THERE AREN’T ENOUGH HOUSES.

And in the next election, the tory share of the vote will be about 38% and Labour will decide not to interfere with housing policy because it might upset voters that think they are on to a good thing that they have a million pound mid terrace house in Burnley.

• Like 2

It's a bullshit idea on the face of it, as @chrisp65 highlights, but looking past that...How is it intended to work? What if you never have kids? You're incentivised to have some to pass along your debt so you're not kicked out?

And if you do have kids, what say do they get in this? You can't get informed consent from child, or yet to be born people, so when it reaches the age you can't pay it off, what then? Are they legally on the hook, or merely compelled due to family and other social pressure to take on the debt so their folks aren't homeless. If this were to become the norm what happens when you marry your partner and then have to decide which set of parents you send to the homeless shelter?

Build some **** houses, you words removed.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

A few days back, there was a story floating about that the government wanted to encourage businesses to lower prices i stead of spending on, say, marketing.

How would they do this?

By rewarding companies that lowered their prices with Kudos accreditation. So, basically, some kind of gold star sticker. 

I applaud their blue-sky out-of-box thinking, and expect this to be a huge success with businesses falling all over themselves in the clamour for Kudos points.

Aha! I found the story:

'Kudos'

The government will be "rolling out the official name with branding and logos shortly", Mr Buttress said.

It's understood the slogan, which is still being decided, will promote a message about helping out in tough times, which businesses could display to give them "kudos", as a government source put it, by cutting their prices for consumers using money they would otherwise use on marketing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61964175.amp

29 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

And in the next election, the tory share of the vote will be about 38% and Labour will decide not to interfere with housing policy because it might upset voters that think they are on to a good thing that they have a million pound mid terrace house in Burnley.

The thing is, it's pretty much a unique UK thing, this housing obsession (value of, I mean). I dunno what it's like now, but when I were a lad I was in Germany and it was explained to me that mortgages there were for like, a hundred years, plus many more people rented long term. The home ownership thing and obsessing about value going up and all that is just a Thatcherite thing.

100 year mortgages (in the right conditions) are not an issue. It's not "burdening your kids" - if they don't want to take over the mortgage and home, then sell the home, pay off (and profit from the increase in value) and away you go. Needs a steady, stable market, not bubbles and all that, mind.

There are enough houses (more or less) - it's just plenty of people have several and a too many have none. And then they're not necessarily where the jobs are, or where people want to live, though WFH should help with that.

I mean the whole Tory attitude to all this thing is utterly idiotic, but the problem is the tories and the lack of vision, the sole focus on profit and prices and not on fixing stuff which, with good intent is eminently fixable, over time.

52 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep, it's even worse now with more remote working people want more space so the demand for housing goes up again. It's simply lack of supply and the government actually want houses to keep getting more expensive as that's what home owners want. 

Considering this can't really come from anywhere other than "sources close to Carrie Johnson", when your own wife is briefing against you then you probably don't have many friends and allies left. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Considering this can't really come from anywhere other than "sources close to Carrie Johnson"

Nah, it was in 2017 when she was working in CCO. Could be anyone spreading this one

Â