The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Apparently tomorrows Mail on Sunday might just have had an epiphany 

Yes they are about to turn on him it seems. Could well be a decisive nail in Johnsons coffin. 

22 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Now it's starting to get to resignation levels.

Still clinging on to that cushy job, and his next defence is getting "medical support".

Can you get a course on consent on the NHS? **** off you sex offender.

When Dan Hodges and the Mail have turned on a Tory Populist, you know it's game over.

Imagine those 1922 Committee rules will be getting reworked shortly, and then another no confidence vote in the next few months.

59 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

When Dan Hodges and the Mail have turned on a Tory Populist

The story goes that Rothermere (who apparently rarely gets involved editorially) told Dacre that he was out of touch with the readership on Johnson, that he should stop trying to get a knighthood and do his job properly.

Rothermere obviously concerned they'll lose readers because the strength of opinion amongst readers against Dacres editorial line was very high and solid

Rothermere concerned about money obviously but his analysis should really worry Tory MPs. They are changing the editorial line because they realise they can't influence the readership on the Johnson issue. For once its the readers leading the paper by the nose

43 minutes ago, bickster said:

The story goes that Rothermere (who apparently rarely gets involved editorially) told Dacre that he was out of touch with the readership on Johnson, that he should stop trying to get a knighthood and do his job properly.

Rothermere obviously concerned they'll lose readers because the strength of opinion amongst readers against Dacres editorial line was very high and solid

Rothermere concerned about money obviously but his analysis should really worry Tory MPs. They are changing the editorial line because they realise they can't influence the readership on the Johnson issue. For once its the readers leading the paper by the nose

Yep saw that in the New European.

While it's obviously good news, it looks like they'll try and hammer him on very personal "integrity" stuff that leaves room for his successor to carry on the project... sexual harassment rather than corruption, Brexit, or anything vaguely policy related. They won't want to inflict huge damage on the wider Tory party. Probably just Boris, Dorries, Patel, etc. - the ones who are tied into Boris's future, and who they can afford to ditch.

It feels like part of a big strategy to fix the Tory Party ahead of the next election. I don't know if we've ever seen something like this in British political history where a party of government is able to continually regenerate while in power, despite massive controversies and widespread unpopularity, without spending any time in opposition? But you could easily imagine Cameron-May-Johnson-Sunak or whatever being an unbroken string of Tory PMs over a 20-year period.

Just checking when the last time something like that happened was... 1951-1964 we had Churchill, Eden, Macmillan, Douglas-Home but that was only 13 years, with Eden and Douglas-Home not spending much time in office. I suppose if next Tory leader loses the election, then this will be a similar profile, although Churchill and Macmillan were much better than Cameron and Johnson.

Before that Liberal govts 1905-22 under Campbell-Bannerman, Asquith, Lloyd George, but the last 4 years of that were a war coalition.

And in the early 19th century, Tory govts 1807-1830 with Portland, Perceval, Liverpool, Canning, Goderich, and Wellington all serving as PM, but that was before the Great Reform Act.

So maybe not completely unprecedented, but very unusual. We really need a clear out...

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 2

Six new claims of inappropriate behaviour by former Conservative deputy chief whip Chris Pincher have emerged, days after he was suspended from the party for allegedly groping two men.

The allegations stretch back more than a decade.

Mr Pincher - who represents Tamworth in Staffordshire - says he is seeking professional medical support and has no intention of resigning as an MP. 

He did not respond to the BBC but denied the allegations to newspapers. 

The allegations reported in the Independent, the Mail on Sunday and the Sunday Times include three cases where it is alleged Mr Pincher made unwanted advances to male MPs, including in a bar in parliament, and in his own parliamentary office.

No official complaints were ever made.

It is reported that one of the MPs contacted Downing Street in February with details of what he said had happened to him and voiced his concerns that Mr Pincher might be made a party whip, in charge of the discipline and welfare of other MPs.

BBC

Oh dear, who’d have thought it? 

Everyone, yes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

How can you have a PM who doesn't seem know anything about anything !!!!

"I didn't know" wouldn't cut in the minor job roles I have held - certainly shouldn't be a get out of jail card for the prime minister for lords sake.

Incredible.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Nah, that’s nothing new, lots of them have done the “from what I've been told” like it’s a get out of jail free card 

The bottom line is that they are still prostituting themselves for their beloved leader.

A proven liar's office lied to me and I parroted it out like the overpaid shill that I am is not a defence of anything

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

How can you have a PM who doesn't seem know anything about anything !!!!

"I didn't know" wouldn't cut in the minor job roles I have held - certainly shouldn't be a get out of jail card for the prime minister for lords sake.

Incredible.

Exactly, the only sensible response to the boss saying he didn’t know should be “well, don’t you think you should have known this type of thing?”

17 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nah, that’s nothing new, lots of them have done the “from what I've been told” like it’s a get out of jail free card 

The bottom line is that they are still prostituting themselves for their beloved leader.

A proven liar's office lied to me and I parroted it out like the overpaid shill that I am is not a defence of anything

I think the point is he has a gang of ultra loyal ministers who were previously very happy to present everything in concrete terms, but their numbers are dwindling. Everyone has one eye on the regime change now by the looks of things - with probably only a couple of exceptions (Dorries and the like).

14 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think the point is he has a gang of ultra loyal ministers who were previously very happy to present everything in concrete terms, but their numbers are dwindling. Everyone has one eye on the regime change now by the looks of things - with probably only a couple of exceptions (Dorries and the like).

No, I don't think that is the case, I've heard the "from what I've been told" line lots of times when a ministerial stooge has been wheeled out to defend Johnson. I also think a lot of ministers have been avoiding he spotlight on Johnson for a long time. Truss, Gove and Sunak have really only ever done it when they've had no option. Even Patel rarely does it. Coffey has been wheeled out quite a bit recently. I don't see any recent change in their activity

Raab, Dories, Shapps and Rees-Mogg have always been the standard bearers with Coffey, coming into play a lot more recently. Occaisionally its Kwarteng, Javid, Barclay or Wallace but there's a whole bunch of the cabinet who almost never put themselves out for him. Sharma, Trevelyan, Zahawi, Eustace, Lewis, Jack, Hart. Even the others who attend Cabinet like Braverman and Malthouse, rarely go in to bat for him

The avoiding being tainted by Johnson has been going on since he formed the cabinet

I just don't think Sam Freedman whoever he is, is making a valid point. I mean he's right to a degree but it isn't something that's just started, it started the day he formed the cabinet

49 minutes ago, bickster said:

I just don't think Sam Freedman whoever he is, is making a valid point. I mean he's right to a degree but it isn't something that's just started, it started the day he formed the cabinet

Well worth a Twitter follow.

IfG fellow, son of renowned military historian Sir Lawrence Freedman and former policy guy for Gove when he was at education. When Cummings was doing implementation. 

The last of which might ring alarm bells, but he seems to one of those (Grieve / Gauke) types who are comfortable realising the error of their previous ways.

And it's always useful to see the perspective of people who know the enemy. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It surfaced in 2017 - there's a version without the redactions floating around

I've seen this, I don't think some of them mind shitting on their own doorstep. Allegedly.

5 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

I've seen this, I don't think some of them mind shitting on their own doorstep. Allegedly.

Fair play to the honourable member who's had a go on at least 2 of the cabinet

• Like 1

Â