The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

True, but as you’ve said they’re currently on course to spend a very long time in the political wilderness. They will have to dramatically change their stance somewhere (which I assume they will).

IMO the only chance the brand the Conservative Party of survival has is by splitting and letting the throbbers go to Reform and keeping the One Nationers as the rump of the party

Trouble is, the One Nationers are no longer the largest faction, there are multiple throbby factions and the grassroots is even more throbby

The One Nationers need to leave and join the LibDems but in a way that they make sure people understand they were closer in ideology to the LibDems that they were to the throbby Tories

Now the LibDems could definitely do that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

In ten years time, who is voting Tory in significant numbers, who are they voting for now?

The death spiral has been going on since before 1997, there are whole generations that already don't vote for them. It takes time but they've now speeded up the inevitable. In 10 / 15  / 20 years time, which demographic do you see giving them the support they need? Once the baby boomer age bubble has popped where do they get support from? To people of my generation and below, that grew up in the Miners strike and the Thatcher years the brand is utterly toxic. I just can't see them being an electoral force

EDIT: Anyway - wrong thread for all this

We’ve been saying that for years though. That there core vote tends to be older, gods waiting room type folk who’ve got nothing better to do on a cold Thursday than cast a vote for the triple lock with no care for whose taxes are paying for it.

Yet they keep getting in. Why is that?

I do wonder if there’s some truth to the theory that people generally get more conservative leaning as they get older.

If I ever feel tempted I’ll be sure to throw myself from t here nearest cliff and do my bit for the nation!

28 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

We’ve been saying that for years though. That there core vote tends to be older, gods waiting room type folk who’ve got nothing better to do on a cold Thursday than cast a vote for the triple lock with no care for whose taxes are paying for it.

Yet they keep getting in. Why is that?

I do wonder if there’s some truth to the theory that people generally get more conservative leaning as they get older.

If I ever feel tempted I’ll be sure to throw myself from t here nearest cliff and do my bit for the nation!

The difference is older people have generally been well looked after in the past.  Many are now staring at oblivion with lack of social, medical and elderly care.

I know that's front and center of my mind as I cast an eye towards my 60s.

I've seen the way my parents and my wife's parent's are/were treated compared to my grandparents.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

I'm sure that there are some, but I think on the whole it's a red herring. 

What people are, is interested in maintaining a status quo that benefits them - something which historically happens as you get older. 

Two things that this particular Tory party has done, (a) made it much harder for people to join the group that benefits from the status quo (jobs, property ownership, Brexit etc) and (b) gone to war with the institutions that this group likes and identifies with (BBC, NHS, National Trust etc.)

They've burned both ends of their electoral candle and they're down to the last bit of wick.

• Like 4

Oh the people we stole from are angry that we stole from them. **** damn straight they are angry. Rightfully so. clearing in the woods of a government, successive clearings in the woods of governments. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The whole thing pisses me off.  We literally stole them, they should be returned alongside anything else we've pillaged from around the world. 

We'd have nothing left.  😬

I do agree though.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, meregreen said:

Well I’m 68, a member of the Labour Party, as is my wife. So don’t give me any of that boomer crap. Remember,  whatever pension formula we use, we all benefit from it eventually. Even with the triple lock, our State pension is still amongst the lowest in the major European countries. I pay taxes still, and would happily pay more, provided it goes towards funding a better public sector, and I include benefits in that. Don’t let the Tories propoganda turn generations against each other with their poison. They’ve been doing it for years.

This, I don't think I have ever seen a British government with such a destructive divide and conquer attitude over the country, just to cover up how incompetent they are.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Rishi sunak is absolutely pathetic. Causing a diplomatic row with greece just because he was unhappy that the greek PM made comments about the elgin marbles.

Grow up rishi. Clown

It's just bizzare. It's been the position of every Greek government for about 200 years, it can hardly have come as a big surprise. 

What next, a hissy-fit with Spain because they'd still quite like Gibraltar back?

• Like 1

This is another perennial complaint of the Tories when people continue to talk honestly about the state of the economy or Brexit

_131834430_expresspdf_page-0001.jpg.webp

The papers issue with the BoE chiefs outlook is “worst ever seen” is that he didn’t lie about it and say it was great. Who on earth buys shit rags like this?

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, meregreen said:

Well I’m 68, a member of the Labour Party, as is my wife. So don’t give me any of that boomer crap. Remember,  whatever pension formula we use, we all benefit from it eventually. Even with the triple lock, our State pension is still amongst the lowest in the major European countries. I pay taxes still, and would happily pay more, provided it goes towards funding a better public sector, and I include benefits in that. Don’t let the Tories propoganda turn generations against each other with their poison. They’ve been doing it for years.

Thanks, saved me typing it myself. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

This is another perennial complaint of the Tories when people continue to talk honestly about the state of the economy or Brexit

_131834430_expresspdf_page-0001.jpg.webp

The papers issue with the BoE chiefs outlook is “worst ever seen” is that he didn’t lie about it and say it was great. Who on earth buys shit rags like this?

"Time for a bank chief who lies and tells us what we want to hear!"

• Like 3

Just now, Stevo985 said:

That’ll fix the issues.

It’s the same shite JRM would continually go on about with Brexit, complaining that people were constantly talking it down.

ITS BECAUSE ITS A MASSIVE **** DISASTER

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

To be fair, he only got the job in the first place because they struggled to find another candidate who was happy to lie and tell them what they wanted to hear on Brexit. 

• Like 2

Â