The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

6 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Latest polling shows that Sunaks Tories are more trusted to fix the economy than Starmers Labour. How thick/gullible are people if they think the bastards that broke the economy, the bastards responsible for the lack of growth since 2010, the bastards responsible for the huge increase in government debt since 2010 (even pre covid) are the people we should trust to fix it all. You couldn't make it up could you. 

Yeah but dOnT trust lAbour on the econoMy.  That is wot my newspaper says in crayon.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Suella Braverman is under pressure to answer questions about worsening conditions at a migrant processing centre in Kent said to be overcrowded.

The home secretary faces demands from Labour and a senior Tory MP to address the Commons over the situation at the site in Manston.

Hundreds of people were moved there on Sunday after a fire attack at a separate migrant facility in Dover.

The government said it was controlling immigration and deterring traffickers.

200.gif

link

Beep beep beep, Rishi Sunak is about to perform another u-turn. This time on attending COP27.

TBH, I don’t think U-turns are actually a bad thing. An acknowledgment that a poor decision was made and taking on public feedback is a good thing.

It’s funny because they like to attack anybody else for doing it but then do it all the more themselves.

The right thing to do would be to say they made a mistake in suggesting not to go, it’s a priority and he’ll be there. 
They’ll probably just try and lie their way out of it. Say he was always going to go.

Edited by Genie

17 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Tories have enabled this. Tragic.

I'm not arguing, but I will say that Surfers against Sewage started in the 80s in Cornwall, because of the state of South West Water back then. I lived down there for a chunk of the 80s and there were issues with drinking water contamination and with (obviously) Sewage discharges, and I was a victim of sewage poisoning from the sea, and it's as ill as I've ever been. The gov't back then was Thatcher, so obviously tories as well. For a time, when EU regs forced it, water quality in the UK's rivers and beaches improved a great deal, and that's now, as you rightly say, been reversed due to a mix of Tories stripping back the Environment agency and privatised water companies no longer, or even less, acting responsibly and using their profits to enhance water treatment and maintain the water infrastructure and so on.

The point of me writing this is just to say that both South West Water and the tories have a long record of neglect of their duty and it's not a recent phenomenon.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

This is absolutely damning

Given this is costing millions per day, and pissing off a lot of businesses and residents would it not make sense to build some major sized accommodation dedicated to these people whilst they have their applications looked at? 

It obviously won’t happen because the strategy from out government seems to be to treat them like vermin and hope that it puts them off.

If our government were actual vermin then they’d have learned by now it doesn’t work.

Edited by Genie

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Beep beep beep, Rishi Sunak is about to perform another u-turn. This time on attending COP27.

TBH, I don’t think U-turns are actually a bad thing. An acknowledgment that a poor decision was made and taking on public feedback is a good thing.

It’s funny because they like to attack anybody else for doing it but then do it all the more themselves.

The right thing to do would be to say they made a mistake in suggesting not to go, it’s a priority and he’ll be there. 
They’ll probably just try and lie their way out of it. Say he was always going to go.

Occasionally having to admitting a mistake had been made and correcting it is absolutely a good thing.

When you have to do it multiple times it’s  an indicator that decisions are being taken in the wrong way, for the wrong reasons, with a lack of acceptable advice or oversight or put simply, they’re **** incompetent.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Genie said:

Given this is costing millions per day, and pissing off a lot of businesses and residents would it not make sense to build some major sized accommodation dedicated to these people whilst they have their applications looked at? 

It obviously won’t happen because the strategy from out government seems to be to treat them like vermin and hope that it puts them off.

If our government were actual vermin then they’d have learned by now it doesn’t work.

Building or renting more and more accommodation is not a great 'solution' either is it?

The UK needs to get working with the French government again to get a handle on processing before people cross the channel. Presumably the current administration don't have a lot of good will left with the French so it might take a change of government before something happens. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Building or renting more and more accommodation is not a great 'solution' either is it?

The UK needs to get working with the French government again to get a handle on processing before people cross the channel. Presumably the current administration don't have a lot of good will left with the French so it might take a change of government before something happens. 

I think it’s a good short and medium term solution to the overcrowding issue. Putting people in rooms at >£150 per night is not viable.

I absolutely agree on working with France and also that our previous PM’s have done an excellent job of removing any kind of goodwill we might have with them. We’re starting from a terrible place.

I’m still not sure that they have realised  “tough talking” with the EU doesn’t work yet. 

A bit like our economic woes, Brexit is the elephant in the room on migrants too. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

So Braverman is now admitting to sending 6 emails from her personal account

That is a whole new ball game and makes a lie of all the bollocks Gove, Sunak et al have been saying in her defence

Back to Sunak then… how many of these did he know about and still have her a top job?

Has he lied / mislead parliament about this? 

34 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

On top of that, the processing of applications in the UK is taking ages. Much much longer than it should do. 75% get approved, 25 rejected,  and of that 25% half are overturned on appeal. So 87% of applications are found to be valid, but the system is very often taking months and months for each person. While they're in limbo, they are not allowed to work, they can't find anywhere to stay other than the processing places or sub standard accommodation where they're put. Some of the "bad" ones disappear into wherever  - Albanian county lines drug gangs etc.

It's an utter mess. Awful for the refugees, awful for everyone. Never mind daft stuff about Rwanda, just sort out the admin process, staff it properly, act with humanity and fairly but firmly.

45 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Occasionally having to admitting a mistake had been made and correcting it is absolutely a good thing.

When you have to do it multiple times it’s  an indicator that decisions are being taken in the wrong way, for the wrong reasons, with a lack of acceptable advice or oversight or put simply, they’re **** incompetent.

Or they are populists. 

Â