The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Im not getting mixed up with MOT!

You are, Dem. New vehicles are MoT test exempt for 3 years . Vehicle excise Duty ( people sometimes wrongly call it car tax or road tax) applies from the start.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1994/22/part/I

A duty of excise (“vehicle excise duty”) shall be charged in respect of every mechanically propelled vehicle that—

(a)is registered under this Act (see section 21), or

(b)is not so registered but is used, or kept, on a public road in the United Kingdom

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bickster said:

Whilst everyone was focussed on the cabinet merry go round, elsewhere party unity was going really well

We all know that anything Rees-Mogg says needs to somehow be reduced back to Brexit and some imaginary war that will go on in perpetuity against "Remainers" in order to maintain his relevancy, because we all know that when the country has moved on from that kind of entrenchment he doesn't really have much to offer on any other subject. Whatever he says needs to be taken in that context.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Bicycles have tyres don't they? Particulate pollution is much worse from tyres than exhausts newish research has found (tye pollution in cars can be 1000 times greater than exhaust emissions!)

It won't be as much as cars obviously but the idea that bikes don't cause particulate pollution isn't true

I think there’s a fair bit of extrapolation in the claim you make about bike tyres. There’s an absence of evidence for it. If you think of a new car tyre, with what, 1cm or more of tread depth, across a width of 20 cm, and how each tyre is worn away by the weight of the car and thus friction with the road surface, then yes particulates are created in measurable number.

For bicycles, the tyres are very lightly treaded (road tyres) of minimal width and depth and don’t have the same forces applied to them as car tyres. I’m not sure either that the materials are the same.

In practical terms, the idea that pushbikes cause a particulate pollution problem is untrue. Any pollution from a bike tyre will be absolutely minuscule and thousands of times lower than from a car, bus or van or truck tyre.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Semantics. OK, it's officially called 'vehicle excise duty', but it's colloquially known as 'road tax' by pretty much everybody. 

I know many people understand that other people call the tax by various names such as “car tax” or “road tax” or “tax disk” or VED. But I’m not sure “pretty much everybody” call it road tax. Obviously Dem does.

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think there’s a fair bit of extrapolation in the claim you make about bike tyres. There’s an absence of evidence for it. If you think of a new car tyre, with what, 1cm or more of tread depth, across a width of 20 cm, and how each tyre is worn away by the weight of the car and thus friction with the road surface, then yes particulates are created in measurable number.

For bicycles, the tyres are very lightly treaded (road tyres) of minimal width and depth and don’t have the same forces applied to them as car tyres. I’m not sure either that the materials are the same.

In practical terms, the idea that pushbikes cause a particulate pollution problem is untrue. Any pollution from a bike tyre will be absolutely minuscule and thousands of times lower than from a car, bus or van or truck tyre.

All of that is most likely true but the claim they don't cause particulate pollution cannot be true, however small, they still will do.

It is actually mind blowing though when you discover that it isn't exhaust emissions that are the main cause of particulate pollution of British roads

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

I know many people understand that other people call the tax by various names such as “car tax” or “road tax” or “tax disk” or VED. But I’m not sure “pretty much everybody” call it road tax. Obviously Dem does.

Personally, I'd call it road tax.  Maybe car tax.

I've never called it or - or even been aware of - "vehicle excise duty".  The pulling apart on such semantics is utterly unwarranted; we all know what Dem is talking about for **** sake.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

We all know that anything Rees-Mogg says needs to somehow be reduced back to Brexit and some imaginary war that will go on in perpetuity against "Remainers" in order to maintain his relevancy, because we all know that when the country has moved on from that kind of entrenchment he doesn't really have much to offer on any other subject. Whatever he says needs to be taken in that context.

He's fighting it because there are growing rumblings within the Tory Party about the UK needing much closer ties to the EU. Tobias Ellwood said as much on the day they let him back into the party last week

It's yet another of those issues that will continue to rip the Tories to shreds and the likes of JRM are trying to kill such talk, they won't be able to keep in quelled forever (or even much longer IMO)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The pulling apart on such semantics is utterly unwarranted; we all know what Dem is talking about for **** sake.

The discussion started because Dem suggested a policy of charging cyclist’s £5 a year road tax to solve or help with government finances. Someone else said there’s no such thing as road tax, Dem said yes there is and he pays it and so on..

My post tried to just give the actual name for the tax as a clarification, but also to make a point about cycling being far far better/ less damaging for health and the environment than driving is and that if the Tories bring in, or Tory voters or that subset of them that hate cyclists or environmentalists and the “anti growth coalition” start asking for “road tax for cyclists” then they’re absolutely barking mad. Was it Grant Shapps who was talking about it a couple of weeks ago? It would cost more to administer than it would raise in income. It would discourage a thing we need to happen and is just mental in the current situation.

• Like 1

As much as I have an irrational dislike of cyclists, a road tax for them would be foolish. How would it be policed for a start off. Instead I would introduce a lycra tax. A 20% levy for all tight lycra garments that have any form of imagined sponsorship on them. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Instead I would introduce a lycra tax. A 20% levy for all tight lycra garments that have any form of imagined sponsorship on them. 

Tight lycra in the right setting should be encouraged. 

How about a tax on wearing baggy joggers or pyjamas in public?

• Like 1

Day 1: The appointment of Braverman is being defended.

Good to see they are back to their usual ways of doing everything other than actually working for people outside of government.

Labour joins calls for Braverman probe

Labour has joined the Liberal Democrats in demanding an investigation into Suella Braverman, who was yesterday reappointed as home secretary by Prime Minister Rishi Sunak.

As we've been reporting this morning, Braverman was forced to step down as home secretary last week, having admitted to violating ministers' rules by using her personal email address for work business.

Labour's Yvette Cooper has written to the cabinet secretary calling for an urgent probe into "this and other possible security breaches".

The shadow home secretary adds in her letter that "the public has a right to know that there are proper secure information procedures in place to cover the person who has been given charge of our national security".

In her resignation letter last week, Braverman acknowledged the mistake, calling it a "technical infringement" and adding that much of the content in the document she emailed had already been briefed to MPs.

BBC

Edited by Genie

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

They're just a bunch of TINO's

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Semantics. OK, it's officially called 'vehicle excise duty', but it's colloquially known as 'road tax' by pretty much everybody. 

It does matter in terms of how people perceive the tax. Calling it a ‘road tax’ or a tax to use the roads leads to people resenting road users who are not paying this tax but are using the road anyway. 

Calling it a ‘vehicle excise duty’ or ‘engine emissions tax’ better encapsulates why gas guzzlers pay the highest rate and electric car drivers (or cyclists) don’t pay it at all. 

Words do matter. 

• Like 1

Â