The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

29 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Like some of it is good. The fixing of energy prices, the reversal of the NI rise, cutting the base rate of tax to 19%. 

I also think not raising corporation tax from 19% to 25% right now (maybe raise it back to 20%) and abolishing stupid things that hamstring small companies like IR35 are sensible to help growth.

It's that top rate of tax cut which just doesn't make any sense. Not having the OBR report too for any of this was very damaging to credibility

The fixing of the energy prices wasn't announced on Friday, just the tax cuts. The NI rise was to raise funds for the NHS, it was a good thing IMO, that's now gone and the funding for the NHS has gone with it. 

We're also seeing headlines in the Times and the Telegraph indicating further cuts to public services to cover the short fall caused by the tax cuts. None of it is good unless you earn over £150k.

I wonder what the national breakdown of people who earn that amount is, I bet most are in the South East with next to none in the poorer underfunded areas, can't see trickle down economics working for areas like that, areas like Birmingham.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tinker said:

The fixing of the energy prices wasn't announced on Friday, just the tax cuts. The NI rise was to raise funds for the NHS, it was a good thing IMO, that's now gone and the funding for the NHS has gone with it. 

We're also seeing headlines in the Times and the Telegraph indicating further cuts to public services to cover the short fall caused by the tax cuts. None of it is good unless you earn over £150k.

I wonder what the national breakdown of people who earn that amount is, I bet most are in the South East with next to none in the poorer underfunded areas, can't see trickle down economics working for areas like that, areas like Birmingham.  

I think like the top 1% of earners earn over 130k so maybe the top 0.8% to 0.9% earn over 150k

So turns out Truss has no idea what’s going on or was either lying, misleading or being vague/ with the truth when she said bills would be capped at £2500. There’s only one way 99% of people would take that news. Turns out it’s not true at all and many will be paying a lot more than that. 

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Like some of it is good. The fixing of energy prices, the reversal of the NI rise, cutting the base rate of tax to 19%.

That would be a good thing if it was being funded by taking some of the huge profits the energy companies are making. Instead the government are borrowing tens of billions, at a time when interest rates are rising sharply, to subsidise energy companies which us, and future generations, will be repaying for years.

As for not going ahead with the 1.25% NI rise (health and social care levy) that money was going to put vital funding into our purposely failing NHS and already decimated social care. A bleak future for both looking even bleaker.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

That would be a good thing if it was being funded by taking some of the huge profits the energy companies are making. Instead the government are borrowing tens of billions, at a time when interest rates are rising sharply, to subsidise energy companies which us, and future generations, will be repaying for years.

As for not going ahead with the 1.25% NI rise (health and social care levy) that money was going to put vital funding into our purposely failing NHS and already decimated social care. A bleak future for both looking even bleaker.

Absolutely. Like the laws the EU just passed to do exactly this

That would makes things interesting.  They'd probably lose the whip and the majority would just vanish. Maybe an election isn't completely out of the question after all.

Believe it when I see it though. They are Tories after all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

We are a net importer, we run a trade deficit of £27.9bln. We created lots of trade barriers with the EU which limits us in exports

So a weaker Pound right now is bad

The question which often bugs me, is when did worrying about the trade deficit go out of fashion?

I seem to remember Harold Wilson was forced to devalue the pound after Reginald Maudling had taken his foot off the brake, and these days it never seems to get a mention.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The question which often bugs me, is when did worrying about the trade deficit go out of fashion?

I seem to remember Harold Wilson was forced to devalue the pound after Reginald Maudling had taken his foot off the brake, and these days it never seems to get a mention.

Probably when The Witch destroyed manufacturing and turned us into a service economy 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I don't remember Wilson's gov't, but I definitely remember  "the balance of payments" being an almost nightly news item when I were a lad (at least once it was negative and worrying to the grown ups. Like @bickstersays, that seemed to stop around the time of the wicked witch (I).

5 hours ago, AshVilla said:

I'd be interested to see what the above poll would say should Truss immediately get the boot and Boris be put back in.

Would it be worse or better if he had taken the same action with the growth plan.

My neighbours son said yesterday they should get Boris back. I kept my mouth shut. 

This was during a conversation about him being at A&E with his mum for 8 hours, and that the Ambulance advised him to take her to the Dr's and get a referral because if they took her they would be sat on the tarmac for longer than she would wait that way. 

Edited by sidcow

4 hours ago, tinker said:

The NI rise was to raise funds for the NHS, it was a good thing IMO, that's now gone and the funding for the NHS has gone with it. 

Mrs Sidcow was saying yesterday what a tragedy this was. It was desperately needed. 

After Covid and the way people were feeling for The NHS, nobody I knew was begrudging it. People knew it was needed and accepted it. 

A real missed opportunity ditching that.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

That would makes things interesting.  They'd probably lose the whip and the majority would just vanish. Maybe an election isn't completely out of the question after all.

Believe it when I see it though. They are Tories after all.

They know they are gone in 2 years anyway unless they try to do something to change it. It's like choosing the manner of your own death, surely there are 35 with enough conscious to fall on their swords rather than see the entire country go down the swanny.

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

They know they are gone in 2 years anyway unless they try to do something to change it. It's like choosing the manner of your own death, surely there are 35 with enough conscious to fall on their swords rather than see the entire country go down the swanny.

35 Tories with a conscience? Good luck with that. More likely to find life on Jupiter.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Straggler said:

35 Tories with a conscience? Good luck with that. More likely to find life on Jupiter.

Depends, critical mass is important. If they get the numbers, they can’t remove the whip from them because they’d suddenly have no majority and effectively couldn’t rely on the votes of ex-members of the parliamentary party who would also have an axe to grind. If there are enough they won’t lose the whip.

It could then play out a number of ways because there’s absolutely no way they’ll want to go to the country because they’ll get totally destroyed

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

Depends, critical mass is important. If they get the numbers, they can’t remove the whip from them because they’d suddenly have no majority and effectively couldn’t rely on the votes of ex-members of the parliamentary party who would also have an axe to grind. If there are enough they won’t lose the whip.

It could then play out a number of ways because there’s absolutely no way they’ll want to go to the country because they’ll get totally destroyed

Don't disagree with any of that. However that is proof of a sense of self preservation, not of conscience.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

My neighbours son said yesterday they should get Boris back. I kept my mouth shut. 

Boris has a Churchill fixation and I am sure he sees himself living out his 'wilderness years' just like Winston.

The thought even crossed my mind that that was the reason they chose Truss, to facilitate that outcome: she's sure doing her best to facilitate it.

Â