The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

36 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

His constant army references are starting to grate.

I agree.  He shouldn't be so regimented.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

And yet, for some reason, 14M Britons voted Conservative in 2019 

Yeah but just 3 years earlier, 17 million people voted for something even stupider

• Like 1

9 hours ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

Dude Truss is very dim - for someone in her position at least. Something you can't say for Sunak, although he's patently unqualified for other reasons 

I think you're conflating "policy callousness" and "being out of touch with the people" to a problem with raw brain power, and I get that. But I don't agree. I wouldn't want to underestimate the wily minds and marketing skills of Teams Sunak and Truss. Dim? If so, they're reflecting a deep dimness many British voters seem to keep embracing for reasons I honestly don't grasp. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

10 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Yeah but just 3 years earlier, 17 million people voted for something even stupider

Exactly. And now they're crying "oooh, we was oodwinked!" Almost as thoughtfully engaged as ours in the USA, but don't get me started.

28 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I think you're conflating "policy callousness" and "being out of touch with the people" to a problem with raw brain power

Not what I'm saying at all.

Anyone who says the words "We import two thirds of our cheese. THAT. IS. A. DISGRACE." to a room full of journalists, is not very smart.

For those who've been paying attention she's been a laughing stock for years, due to several high profile gaffes. I don't think she's callous, I think she's nakedly ambitious and devoid of any real political ideology (other than promoting her own brand).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

Not what I'm saying at all.

Anyone who says the words "We import two thirds of our cheese. THAT. IS. A. DISGRACE." to a room full of journalists, is not very smart.

For those who've been paying attention she's been a laughing stock for years, due to several high profile gaffes. I don't think she's callous, I think she's nakedly ambitious and devoid of any real political ideology (other than promoting her own brand).

I hear you, but I still think the thing you're calling "not very smart" is more about a willful ignorance (and people on the left have their own versions of this) -- or maybe even lack of honesty -- than a lack of intelligence. But there are lots of ways to define intelligence, aren't there? In any case, winning voters isn't going to come down to who is more intelligent, is it? At least that's not what I've ever observed in Britain or the US (or France, for that matter). I read Guardian commentaries (not all, but many) recently on the Tory leadership race, and while they're very diverse in terms of day-to-day topics, there's a sort of self-aggrandizing, running tone of mockery that seems more an extension of social media than offering anything like a coherent alternative. There's plenty to mock, yes, agreed, but what's next, please? I don't care where you are, if you don't connect emotionally to voters, you don't win. Some of those anonymous poverty-related special commentaries in the Guardian lately have actually come closer, to me, to reaching voters with important raw heart than the derisive Oxbridge snarks.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Truss seems like May in that she is very awkward in front of the camera and looks daft and incompetent (I suspect she actually is both of those things as well).  Penny Mordaunt has always been a bit of an 8/10 WB for me.  I don't know what her politics are like though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Truss seems like May in that she is very awkward in front of the camera and looks daft and incompetent (I suspect she actually is both of those things as well).  Penny Mordaunt has always been a bit of an 8/10 WB for me.  I don't know what her politics are like though.

You better help me out with the meaning of "8/10 WB" -- after all, I myself am irretrievably and verifiably stupid. 

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm reserving judgement until I've seen both of them try to dance.

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

If someone such as Sunak wants "an awful future" for a "tiny minority," I don't think HE actually knows that. I think that's likely incorrect. 

I absolutely think he knows that - since Reagan and Thatcher and the 80's and the decentralisation of banks, a lot of the power in our societies has moved from Parliament to the corporate/banking sphere - I think that's left a void where politicians know they can't necessarily effect real change - so we have these profiteers, these representatives of commerce, who accept the rules and the direction of banks and the corporations and media companies they own in order to gain and hold on to power. I think he know exactly what he's doing, I think he considers working people an acceptable sacrifice for a profitable corporate economy that serves his masters, keeps him in power and ensures he remains a part of that tiny minority.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I absolutely think he knows that - since Reagan and Thatcher and the 80's and the decentralisation of banks, a lot of the power in our societies has moved from Parliament to the corporate/banking sphere - I think that's left a void where politicians know they can't necessarily effect real change - so we have these profiteers, these representatives of commerce, who accept the rules and the direction of banks and the corporations and media companies they own in order to gain and hold on to power. I think he know exactly what he's doing, I think he considers working people an acceptable sacrifice for a profitable corporate economy that serves his masters, keeps him in power and ensures he remains a part of that tiny minority.

Fair enough. I do tend towards gullibility in my own political thinking. I've been burned several times, but if what you say is true, it's depressing as ****. 

16 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

You better help me out with the meaning of "8/10 WB"

He rates her as 80% of the perfect woman and would have personal physical relations with her given half the chance

3 hours ago, bickster said:

He rates her as 80% of the perfect woman and would have personal physical relations with her given half the chance

And here I thought I was on the Observer “Safe Space UK” forum talking politics.  Well, that’s sort of offensive and stupid, and this is coming from someone who is often both. But em, cheers for the depressing clarification of 2008-era lad-forum code.  

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Â