The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

The money that isn't there for rail workers, and anyway, it'll cause more inflationary issues? There's money for a bigger proportional rise for a larger number of pensioners. Funny that.

Money is no obstacle when they think it can be leveraged to buy votes.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

Heard some shitty stories today about some vulnerable people. The sooner we get this government out, the better. So much happens at a local level that is dismissed or ignored nationally that has been caused indirectly or directly by cuts to services.

I just want everybody to have the chance to be happy and live a fulfilling life 😫

Finished today feeling mentally exhausted and wondering if we will ever find our way back to being a country that cares. 

Finding it hard not to get political in public/on social and I’m not supposed to in my industry. Im supposed to shut up and be a good boy and I find that so hard as I just want to ask questions of those in power.

Edited by Dodgyknees
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Regardless of how you feel about the strikes, the public should be **** outraged about just how blatant the lies and misdirection are.

The country is falling apart after 12 years of Tory ineptitude, and it's all Labour's fault.

It’s what they’ve been doing for 13 years (because it started before the election - with the “banking crisis blame”) and people have sucked it up again and again, the media are partly to blame for doing the same - so that’s why they keep doing it. Maybe the tide has turned because I can’t see as many people falling for it - other than the flag shagging lot on Twitter.

Could well be another nail in Johnsons/The Tories coffin today in the by elections. Wakefield is pretty much a given that they'll lose to Labour but the Tiverton on Honiton one is interesting. 24k majority would be the biggest ever over turned if the Lib Dems can take it. Tories may well hold on to it but with a massively reduced majority. A loss defending that big a majority though in a Brexit supporting rural seat would add to the Tory MP's fearing for their own futures and turning on Johnson.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Could well be another nail in Johnsons/The Tories coffin today in the by elections. Wakefield is pretty much a given that they'll lose to Labour but the Tiverton on Honiton one is interesting. 24k majority would be the biggest ever over turned if the Lib Dems can take it. Tories may well hold on to it but with a massively reduced majority. A loss defending that big a majority though in a Brexit supporting rural seat would add to the Tory MP's fearing for their own futures and turning on Johnson.

Not sure how they turn on Johnson for another 50 weeks without splitting the party especially in a time of “national crisis” (bring it on but they won’t) 

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not sure how they turn on Johnson for another 50 weeks without splitting the party especially in a time of “national crisis” (bring it on but they won’t) 

There's nothing binding about the one year VONC it's just an internal rule set by the 1922 committee that can be changed. If there's another big attack on Johnson and they smell blood in the water, the rules will be changed.

It was rumoured that one of the reasons May fell on her sword was a veiled threat by Brady that they'd change the rule and put her through a second VONC if she didn't go of her own volition. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, djdabush said:

They keep lining up for this, don't they? You get the impression that the Tories thought that the rail strikes would be a get out of jail free card for them. Lynch is doing an incredible job of putting the pressure back on the government.

Lynch mentions RPI a couple of times, around 30 seconds in the video you see the expression on Jenrick's face - "wtf is RPI? Sh*t, Sh*t, Sh*t! Oh, he's just said retail price index, phew, thank God for that!"

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

There's nothing binding about the one year VONC it's just an internal rule set by the 1922 committee that can be changed. If there's another big attack on Johnson and they smell blood in the water, the rules will be changed.

It was rumoured that one of the reasons May fell on her sword was a veiled threat by Brady that they'd change the rule and put her through a second VONC if she didn't go of her own volition. 

Yes, I realise that but changing the rules of the 1922 will still split the party, very publicly and be very damaging (good good), I just don't see them wanting to do that

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yes, I realise that but changing the rules of the 1922 will still split the party, very publicly and be very damaging (good good), I just don't see them wanting to do that

Yeah that's fair, and I think there's one thing we can be sure of; Boris won't copy May and walk because of the threat of another vote. He'll stay until the bitter end.

• Like 2

It's a very messy situation for all involved. Both arguments have significant merit

With Inflation to be over 10% this year paying just a 2% increase in worker wages equates to an 8% pay cut. Even getting the 5% that seems to be where it is thought agreement can be reached is still a pay cut.

Then on the other side you have the real and irreversible fact that a large portion of rail users (currently at 20%) are never coming back as remote working is now permanently part of life. The rush into London for millions of people which is a massive part of the revenue is gone not to come back. Reality is that less people are needed to work on the rails and fewer train services to adjust to this new reality and that's outside the control of anyone involved here. 

I feel unions hurt themselves most by refusing to allow enforced redundancies. The realities are all the jobs pre pandemic are not needed in this new post pandemic world. The realities are that the staff should not be suffering real wage cuts that are 8%+ in one year and need to have pay increases to reduce the impact of this inflation. 

Finally we currently live with the highest tax burden in decades. So there is no option for any Government to simply put the head in the sand and tax us all to subsidise the drop off in rail users who will never come back. 

It's a horrible mess. Made worse by the fact we've lost 5% of our GDP because of Brexit. That equates to around ~£650bln in lost tax revenue that's gone. 

10 hours ago, djdabush said:

They keep lining up for this, don't they? You get the impression that the Tories thought that the rail strikes would be a get out of jail free card for them. Lynch is doing an incredible job of putting the pressure back on the government.

It’s brilliantly simple and the government muppets have no answers.

Government party line: Increasing wages in line with inflation will make the railways too expensive for commuters.

RMT: The fares always go up by RPI as directed by government so that argument is completely flawed. You can’t charge the public RPI increases and then say it’s the staffs fault.

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s brilliantly simple and the government muppets have no answers.

Government party line: Increasing wages in line with inflation will make the railways too expensive for commuters.

RMT: The fares always go up by RPI as directed by government so that argument is completely flawed. You can’t charge the public RPI increases and then say it’s the staffs fault.

The problem is the fact that there is a 20% total drop in revenue due to fewer passengers travelling. So to give staff the RPI increase that ticket prices have had would (using the crude maths) require a 20% reduction in staff.

Â