The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

They may have people questioning why there's only a 10% difference in rates between basic and higher if they were to do that. ;)

I thought the ceiling on NI got binned off a while ago. I don't get your point

36 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think it means:

Basic income tax + NI = 20%+12% = 32%

Higher income tax + NI = 40% + 2% = 42%.

So whilst in people's mind higher earners pay double or 20% more, in reality they pay only 10% more. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I think it means:

Basic income tax + NI = 20%+12% = 32%

Higher income tax + NI = 40% + 2% = 42%.

So whilst in people's mind higher earners pay double or 20% more, in reality they pay only 10% more. 

Gotcha. Highest rate is 45% income tax isn't it?

46 minutes ago, blandy said:

As Ender posted above, the ceiling was removed but the UEL is the same as the higher rate income tax threshold, above which employees' NIC is 2% (I think it was 1%).

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

Gotcha. Highest rate is 45% income tax isn't it?

Additional rate (£150k+) is 45% - until they can get away with ditching it. ;)

Edit: Going back to the income tax and NI threshold alignment - I ought to have said realignment. I wasn't aware that they had diverged so much in the last decade.

Edited by snowychap

Mr Hammond explains to the medical team that although he pulled the budget statement out of his arse, there are other measures still impacted up there and he needs their assistance to retrieve them.

british-chancellor-of-the-exchequer-phil

49 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Wanting the assassination of the King in the hope that his successor would be more tolerant towards Catholicism?

More the blowing up of parliament part but you already knew that. 

What with the budget raising NI for the self-employed and the substantial increase in probate charges they sneaked in under the radar, you might start to believe that the Tories are turning into New Labour.

Lowering pass marks for 'disadvantaged' children to help them get into their new grammar schools, is just an attempt to put a gloss on their expansion of selective education.

They have raised the tax-take to 34.4% of GDP, a level not seen since 1969 under Labour.

Peter Hitchens has claimed for a long time that the Tories have turned into the Labour Party, and it looks like he is right.

51 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

What with the budget raising NI for the self-employed and the substantial increase in probate charges they sneaked in under the radar, you might start to believe that the Tories are turning into New Labour.

Lowering pass marks for 'disadvantaged' children to help them get into their new grammar schools, is just an attempt to put a gloss on their expansion of selective education.

They have raised the tax-take to 34.4% of GDP, a level not seen since 1969 under Labour.

Peter Hitchens has claimed for a long time that the Tories have turned into the Labour Party, and it looks like he is right.

No, Hitchens isn't right. What's happened instead is that the leaderships of both parties got closer while the memberships drifted (even) further apart (until Corbyn). It's not that the Tories have turned into Labour, so much as that neoliberal managerialism is the hegemony of the day, much in the same way that full employment and industrial strategy were the hegemony of the 1960s and 1970s. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

No, Hitchens isn't right. What's happened instead is that the leaderships of both parties got closer while the memberships drifted (even) further apart (until Corbyn). It's not that the Tories have turned into Labour, so much as that neoliberal managerialism is the hegemony of the day, much in the same way that full employment and industrial strategy were the hegemony of the 1960s and 1970s. 

I knew a sociologist once and her favourite flowers were hegemonies. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xann said:

Guess what's happened to the pledge to make 200000 new affordable homes?

I'm going to guess they've realised that privateer house builders won't do the turkeys voting for Christmas thing and ease supply. So to make sure we have enough housing the government will tell councils to start a massive programme of true social housing with proper facilities and schools and shops and community as this is more important than share holder dividend and land banking.

They'll make them build houses that aren't to the minimum legal standard and are made with materials designed to last longer than the mortgage. You know, like those red brick houses from the 1920's that are still around today, but houses built in the 1990's look like a discoloured / second set of windows already/ needs a new kitchen piece of shite.

Am I right?

2 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Where are your figures from?

Edit: I'm assuming that it's National Account taxes (not current receipts as initially thought) but do you have a table of the data somewhere that you've got this figure from?

Edited by snowychap

Â