Jump to content
blandy

The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

8 million illiterate people in the UK you say? Oh in that case it makes perfect sense to cut budgets for the schools in some of the most deprived areas.

I thought the case he was putting forward was not to keep repeating the process that has resulted in 8 million illiterate people ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I thought the case he was putting forward was not to keep repeating the process that has resulted in 8 million illiterate people ?

Except the "case" put forward didn't actually seem to be related to the cause of that illiteracy in any way. Correlation and causation being two different things and all that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone see that picture of her with the schoolchildren? Particularly the one where she looks like she's any to transform into some demon hell bird and is just weighing up whether the child is done to her liking?

If you didn't find her creepy or unlikable, that photo will change your mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Guardian claimed back in 2010 that 20% of the UK's adults were functionally illiterate, at the apogee of New Labour's 'Education, Education, Education' mission.

According to the Guardian all governments have consistently ignored this glaring problem and its social and economic consequences.

The question it invites is whether the massive funding increases which Education has received, 85% of which has been spent on wages, were wisely spent.

You can't help wondering whether if funding was increased, such problems would be addressed or would teachers just give themselves another pay-rise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The Guardian claimed back in 2010 that 20% of the UK's adults were functionally illiterate, at the apogee of New Labour's 'Education, Education, Education' mission.

What was the age spread on that illiteracy?

My experience, and this isn't the greatest sample size, was that many of the non readers were older.

The non readers at my school were mainly the gypsy kids that only showed on the first days of term, though I'm sure there were higher percentages of illiteracy in more deprived areas than Droitwich.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Xann said:

What was the age spread on that illiteracy?

My experience, and this isn't the greatest sample size, was that many of the non readers were older.

The non readers at my school were mainly the gypsy kids that only showed on the first days of term, though I'm sure there were higher percentages of illiteracy in more deprived areas than Droitwich.

The Guardian didn't say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Xann said:

Oh yes. She was fecking awful. So bad in fact, Cameron told her the Tories would be voting with her changes, because they mirrored Tory policy.

Now that's proper shit.

 

You don't have to take my word that the Tories are unsuitable custodians of our public services.  I don't work in education, I just socialize with teachers and academics from time to time.

Perhaps you should ask those that are in the system?

@StefanAVFC - Care to recommend a teacher's site? Obviously one than isn't politically affiliated. The NUT or NAS boards would be unsuitable.

I'll ask one of my Mates if you can't think of one.

A floating voter like IDMWIS should get his info straight from the horse's mouths.

Hell yeah, Cameron was awful and enjoyed letting Labour hang themselves. He is the worst type of politician; like Blair he reveled in his position and not the position.

I won't argue with the custodian comment but sadly neither were Labour. One spent wisely and delivered quality in very few areas and the other spent heavily and deliver marginal short term success.
The fact is the waste is incredible, whether or not someone like @TrentVilla is willing to believe me of not. And on that Trent you really don't understand the wider waste in procurement, but that's fine, you've not tasked yourself with sorting it to improve education in the UK, whereas I have.
Also connexions has nothing to do with education? You seem a smart guy but if you think that no wonder this country is in such a mess. They were imperative to education, especially as they dealt with those who struggled with state education and children without home guidance. What about JCP? Clipped by Labour but charged with dealing/referring the hardest help. 
 
You're correct though that teachers are much happier but I don't think you can judge the quality of education already. On what terms? 
Also if you're going to offer a parting shot yourself you should probably accept one back. Your school was a bit posh eh.

@Xann I speak to them all the time. I have spent my life talking to people on the ground as well as those running organisations. I find policy in practice fascinating. In fact my job is to lobby on behalf of SME housebuilders and I have spent a lifetime campaigning for community change. And personally I would speak to everyone; not just those on the ground. 
I have taught at every level (including those removed from mainstream education), I am from a family of educators, I know many teachers and often talk to them. My opinion is one of fact AND others opinions. I also have the benefit of knowing teachers and heads in the same schools. Funny how different their opinions are on very many education subjects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're a lobbyist, interesting.

3 minutes ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

My opinion is one of fact AND others opinions. I also have the benefit of knowing teachers and heads in the same schools. Funny how different their opinions are on very many education subjects.

Strange, all the classroom assistants, teachers, heads of department, heads of year and headmasters I know think the Tories are shit.

I don't know any 'super heads' in the academy business though.

Perhaps that's where I'm going wrong?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's 8 million "functionally illiterate" people, rather than just "illiterale". People that are not purely illiterate, but cannot read or write sufficiently to perform expected everyday tasks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

would teachers just give themselves another pay-rise.

More disconnected stuff, MMV - Teachers don't decide how much of a pay rise they get or give themselves payrises.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xann said:

 

Strange, all the classroom assistants, teachers, heads of department, heads of year and headmasters I know think the Tories are shit.

I suppose without a sample size it's hard to quantify this , but I'll file it under the same scepticism I file people that say ALL my friends voted remain or ALL my friends cats prefer Whiskers to any other cat food

 

Like most of these things  , I've met classroom assistants, teachers, heads of department, heads of year and headmasters who think the Tories are shit ...but I've also met loads who don't , indeed my sons teachers cat can't stand Whiskers and will only eat Felix

 

maybe I'm just not selective enough in my choice of friends or people I know ....... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I suppose without a sample size it's hard to quantify this , but I'll file it under the same scepticism I file people that say ALL my friends voted remain or ALL my friends cats prefer Whiskers to any other cat food

He's on a diet, Purina seems to be the one he doesn't turn his nose up at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dangerously off-topic, but they're mostly pretty crap foods. Shit meat content, stuffed full of preservatives and additivies, and high in maize/cereal. I'd no sooner feed my cat food stocked in most supermarkets than I would feed a child a diet consisting entirely of chips and pizza.

Applaws is probably the best one commonly stocked by big retailers (it's in Pets at Home at least). For the love of God, at least don't feed them Go Cat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, blandy said:

More disconnected stuff, MMV - Teachers don't decide how much of a pay rise they get or give themselves payrises.

Okay, I will have another go.

If funds were made available to try and tackle the adult functional illiteracy problem, which is such a huge cause of poverty and suffering amongst the poorest of our society, would the teachers' unions lobby to get that money diverted into increasing teachers' pay and purchasing fainting-couches for their staff-rooms? :)

Edited by MakemineVanilla

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Dangerously off-topic...

He's her's.

The only involvement I have with him foodwise is keeping him out of what I'm eating.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

And on that Trent you really don't understand the wider waste in procurement, but that's fine, you've not tasked yourself with sorting it to improve education in the UK, whereas I have.

Am I reading this correctly? You have tasked yourself with reducing waste in procurement in order to improve education in the UK?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â