Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

6 minutes ago, Mantis said:

They're really not. Whether you like it or not players like Veretout, Gueye and Amavi (especially Amavi) were all highly rated and performed very well last season. That's why people were excited, not because they were foreign.

Where we stand is down to a number of factors. I wouldn't say anybody has done really well but it seems a bit churlish to pretend that they were all just poor purchases when some of them weren't.

I think Ligue Uh's qualities may have struck some of our scouts as overstated somehow. I don't think the new boys are done developing -- I think they can be unlocked under the right conditions. But I also think a fundamental recruitment error MAY have been in misjudging French football. I sort of read that into Rugeley's comments, which may or may not be fair.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

1 minute ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I think Ligue Uh's qualities may have struck some of our scouts as overstated somehow. I don't think the new boys are done developing -- I think they can be unlocked under the right conditions. But I also think a fundamental recruitment error MAY have been in misjudging French football.

Honestly, I think our biggest recruitment errors this summer came from our British buys. Lescott and Gestede haven't cut it at all.

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

They're really not. Whether you like it or not players like Veretout, Gueye and Amavi (especially Amavi) were all highly rated and performed very well last season. That's why people were excited, not because they were foreign.

Where we stand is down to a number of factors. I wouldn't say anybody has done really well but it seems a bit churlish to pretend that they were all just poor purchases when some of them weren't.

i rate amavi very highley. this is the worst villa team for many years and a lot of that is down to the fact the team cant cut it in the premier league yet and i say yet because maybe with a couple of seasons they might be able to show their full potential. no way did i think we would be where we are now but after watching all the pre season games i thought we would struggle but not to this extent and then the start of the season confirmed my worries.

12 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Honestly, I think our biggest recruitment errors this summer came from our British buys. Lescott and Gestede haven't cut it at all.

In the long run, I think (I hope) you'll be right on this, depending on whether Garde can get these new citroen engines purring or not. The phrase "British buys" is code for "Sherwood buys," right? Is that kind of what you're saying, or have I got that all wrong? And Lescott, well -- MLS. Speaks for itself. But I still say French league football seems to underperform as scouting terrain, excepting the occasional find like Marhez.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Fact is we never brought in areas we needed to, keeper and a right back. And we brought in a player who had been out of the premier league for a season and stuck him in at CB where he had very little experience, got rid of a proven international CB.

44 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

In the long run, I think (I hope) you'll be right on this, depending on whether Garde can get these new citroen engines purring or not. The phrase "British buys" is code for "Sherwood buys," right? Is that kind of what you're saying, or have I got that all wrong? And Lescott, well -- MLS. Speaks for itself. But I still say French league football seems to underperform as scouting terrain, excepting the occasional find like Marhez.

He hasn't mentioned which ones Sherwood bought or didn't buy. You've made the connection between british buys and Sherwood buys.

Sherwood is responsible for all of them (not solely responsible I might add). The good and the bad.

Edited by Stevo985

5 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

How so? A floating turd in a sea of floating turds is still a floating turd.

Well, that's a debate-ender, that's for sure. 

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He hasn't mentioned which ones Sherwood bought or didn't buy. You've made the connection between british buys and Sherwood buys.

Noted. My statement obviously wasn't unqualified.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I think Ligue Uh's qualities may have struck some of our scouts as overstated somehow. I don't think the new boys are done developing -- I think they can be unlocked under the right conditions. But I also think a fundamental recruitment error MAY have been in misjudging French football. I sort of read that into Rugeley's comments, which may or may not be fair.

Three of our Ligue one signings were good signings (the three Jordans) - Jordan Ayew, Jordan Amavi and Jordan Veretout.

In the past two seasons players that have moved from France to the Premier League include Martial, Payet, Mahrez (400k!!!), Pape Souare (key player for Crystal Palace), Zouma, Diafra Sakho, Bafetimbi Gomis, Andrew Ayew and Kanté.

Of course there have been flops as well but this club might have made a lot of mistakes in the last few years but looking in the Ligue 1 market was not one of them. Not balancing them out with players that know the Premier League and are actually useful (not Lescott, Richardson etc.) was a huge mistake of course because we know that players often take a while to get used to pace of the league.

Edited by bose
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bose said:

Three of our Ligue one signings were good signings (the three Jordans) - Jordan Ayew, Jordan Amavi and Jordan Veretout.

In the past two seasons players that have moved from France to the Premier League include Martial, Payet, Mahrez (400k!!!), Pape Souare (key player for Crystal Palace), Zouma, Diafra Sakho, Bafetimbi Gomis, Andrew Ayew and Kanté.

Of course there have been flops as well but this club might have made a lot of mistakes in the last few years but looking in the Ligue 1 market was not one of them. Not balancing them out with players that know the Premier League and are actually useful (not Lescott, Richardson etc.) was a huge mistake of course because we know that players often take a while to get used to pace of the league.

Who's suggesting we not scout Ligue 1? Read my post.

8 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Who's suggesting we not scout Ligue 1? Read my post.

I'm not saying someone said that. I'm saying that getting players from Ligue 1 was not a mistake like you hinted at in your post.

"I think Ligue Uh's qualities may have struck some of our scouts as overstated somehow. But I also think a fundamental recruitment error MAY have been in misjudging French football."

Â