Emmanuel Adebayor

yayoboy

Its a terrible transfer and by January he will want to go back to London. Just saying. Ginola part 2.

Nothing like Ginola signing.

Wasn't Ginola signed by Ellis, Gregory the manager at the time didn't want him. Sherwood on the other hand has managed Adebayor before and they obviously have a rapport.

Past it player being offloaded by Spurs to Villa  in double quick time? I think it's pretty similar....

When was the last time a big name player in his 30s has done well at Villa? McGrath?

I think a lot of the success of players is down to timing.

I think in terms of our development Benteke was too soon for us albeit vital....he basically kept us up and the players around him were not up to his standard particularly those along side him..... we are now signing young players and we also have academy kids coming through that need an old head to see them through games and they can learn off.....Ayew maybe needs that stronger player to play off particularly for his first season until he beds in.

The training ground too .......Adebayor should prove to be an asset in Tims quest to instill a winning mentality....it should be good to have players that have held there own at Arsenal,Man city, Spurs & Real Madrid.

We have suffered over the years for failing to build around quality players and that is the best way to lose them, they don't want to be struggling every week and when they do at the first opportunity they are out.....I see similarities to signing McGrath, not in playing style obviously, but if Adebayor had a mentality of David Beckham/Steve Gerrard/Frank Lampard, we wouldn't get him right now...his flaw is our opportunity....we all just hope Tim can get something from him, I think he can.

The money we have gleaned from Benteke is great, but unfortunately for us due to years of demise, we need to do the same again several times and at the same time buy well in order to fight our way back to respectability, we will then see the tide turn and more players will want to stay.

We have been a selling club for quite some time and I don't see that changing anytime soon, but with a sustained healthy buying policy, prudent scouting/prudent blending and that essential bit of luck.... we can turn this around.

fingers crossed in the transfer market

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I'm feeling more positive on this than previously.

If he can chip in with around 10 goals and his wages aren't completely off the scale, I'll be happy.

As for good players who we signed in their thirties, he may not be the most recent example, but merson was 30 when we signed him I believe.

Its a terrible transfer and by January he will want to go back to London. Just saying. Ginola part 2.

Nothing like Ginola signing.

Wasn't Ginola signed by Ellis, Gregory the manager at the time didn't want him. Sherwood on the other hand has managed Adebayor before and they obviously have a rapport.

Past it player being offloaded by Spurs to Villa  in double quick time? I think it's pretty similar....

When was the last time a big name player in his 30s has done well at Villa? McGrath?

Merson? Dion Dublin?

We've spent years getting out wage budget down and high earners off the books, you honestly think we're suddenly going to give someone 100k a week?

Yeah.okay.

He will surely retain his £100k a week salary though?

We will either pay a good percentage of it AND a loan fee or we will agree to cover his wage. Both amount to the same really as it will cost the club £5million minimum, whatever deal is agreed.

Thats awfully accurate assumption.

Yeah he'll retain his wage, its how much we are paying of it.

No chance will we be paying all his wages after spending years doing the opposite.

Edited by VillaForever1970
  • Like 1

He won't start all the time. Would imagine they'll be rotation between him and Kozak for main forward role. Gabby and Ayew for wide striker and Gil and Grealish can fight over number 10 role depending on opposition and away and home. Tim's already changed the formation a few times in his reign so don't see why that won't continue next season.

I don't see him going on ridiculous goal sprees like Benteke was brilliant at but I think he'll be a steady scorer throughout the season.

It's easy to forgot with the injury Benteke had only scored two league goals last season up to the start of March.

If motivated and has good service, he will easily match Benteke's tally from last season

I also think this. Last season, the plan was to hit Benteke wherever possible-If we go with a similar outlook, the result will be similar. Benteke only came into his stride around the time that Sherwood arrived though-I wonder how many he'd have scored if he'd been fit and maintained that form for the whole season? I also felt that Bacuna did very well with his crossing last season amd made several of Bentekes goals-Something we will miss this season I fear.

I also agree with others that the goals need to be shared around the side a bit more this season. 10-15 from Adebayor will suffice provided we can get amother 25-30 from our other strikers and midfielders. 15+ from Adebayor would be the icing on the cake.

I don't see him going on ridiculous goal sprees like Benteke was brilliant at but I think he'll be a steady scorer throughout the season.

It's easy to forgot with the injury Benteke had only scored two league goals last season up to the start of March.

Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh here but I always felt that Benteke wasn't as effective against the top sides-I think Adebayor will certainly give these teams something to think about. I also felt Benteke was a liability when defending corners-He certainly cost us goals in that first season. I think Adebayor will be a bigger asset in this area as well.

Kozak will get 7-8 I reckon, Ayew a similar number, Gabby will get his usual 5 against Sunderland, West Brom and away to Liverpool. Would like to think Grealish will chip in with a couple.

Yeah 30 goals from the strikers/attacking players and then 20 from rest of team is what I want, 50 goals.