The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Dunno. Just saw it trending on the twitter (which is why I presume it's nonsense).

Its full of tweets like these...

It's just Jezza's Witnesses being Witnesses and adding 2 and 2 and getting 3001

• Like 1

I have been disappointed with Starmer the last few months. I think initially he was excellent and a bit of a breath of fresh air the way he challenged the Tories and forensically ripped Johnson apart in PMQ's. It has all gone a bit stale though and he has pretty much gone along with Tory policy in regards to covid, although he has championed acting sooner, and in terms of Brexit backed what is a poor deal. He hasn't really challenged the Tories and seems to be playing safe. He is like a boxer that technically is very good but doesn't possess a knockout punch. 

The year the Tories have had with covid Labour should be well clear in the polls and I fear if they, and Starmer in particular, can't capture the electorate now then he is going to fail to capture the public in an election. I know style over substance is no good but you need some style to get people's attention and then they will take notice of the substance. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Regardless of whether he stays or not, he wants to be making noises about backing the NEU and other education unions. I won't hold my breath. 

Totally agree, the schools must be opened has been the stupidest thing he's done so far

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

In fairness to him, we're a long, long way from an election and he might well be best off just keeping himself out of the spotlight and letting the Tories upset their own voters for now, but so far he's not done much to impress.

It's a bit uninspiring though isn't it? Just hiding in the shadows to not risk losing any votes. 

With the majority the government has, he can't win votes in the house. He can absolutely win in the court of public opinion though. He's already getting a bit of a reputation for abstaining a lot, which makes him look weak and indecisive, IMO. He can't just spend years not rocking the boat and expect to be taken seriously if he comes out fighting once it's election time.

I hope for an unequivocal message of support for the teachers and condemnation of the government for forcing their hand. Pledge 7 essentially demands it. 

• Like 1

Keith has said there needs to be full lockdown, and yet still not managed to do what the figure head of the labour movement should do, and back the education unions in calling schools to be shut. I mean fair enough, he's actually made a statement about something instead of abstaining, but I still don't get it. 400,000 people viewed the NEU's zoom call today, and even Unison are calling for a shut down of schools. It's an absolute no brainer to back them surely? 

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Keith has said there needs to be full lockdown, and yet still not managed to do what the figure head of the labour movement should do, and back the education unions in calling schools to be shut.

Same thing isn’t it? Full lockdown had only key worker’s kids at school, where their parents had to be at work in hospitals etc.

But yeah, he could and maybe should more explicitly agree with the teacher’s unions.

1 hour ago, dAVe80 said:

Keith has said there needs to be full lockdown, and yet still not managed to do what the figure head of the labour movement should do, and back the education unions in calling schools to be shut. I mean fair enough, he's actually made a statement about something instead of abstaining, but I still don't get it. 400,000 people viewed the NEU's zoom call today, and even Unison are calling for a shut down of schools. It's an absolute no brainer to back them surely? 

Have spent the afternoon trying to decide if they did a focus group which told them not to support teachers' unions, or if they just skipped actually conducting it and just told themselves that's what the focus group would have said if they'd done it.

I'm sure it's one or the other.

From what I read Starmer was saying the schools should be closed but not from tomorrow because he didn't want to add to the chaos but on the other hand he wanted full lockdown from tomorrow.

It was as muddled as Johnson was on Marr

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Have spent the afternoon trying to decide if they did a focus group which told them not to support teachers' unions, or if they just skipped actually conducting it and just told themselves that's what the focus group would have said if they'd done it.

I'm sure it's one or the other.

I'm not convinced its either, I think it's more that he doesn't want to be seen to be U-turning

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm not convinced its either, I think it's more that he doesn't want to be seen to be U-turning

On stuff like this, it's hard to see why a u-turn is all that politically damaging when you're in opposition. 

Just say that if the government hadn't screwed everything up then your original position would have worked just fine. But because they've screwed it up so badly, a new position is needed. Job done and continue saying that everything is terrible and it's the government's fault.

• Like 1

Just now, ml1dch said:

On stuff like this, it's hard to see why a u-turn is all that politically damaging when you're in opposition. 

Just say that if the government hadn't screwed everything up then your original position would have worked just fine. But because they've screwed it up so badly, a new position is needed. Job done and continue saying that everything is terrible and it's the government's fault.

Oh I agree

I just think its the metrics of U-turning when you're criticising people for U-turning, in their heads not mine

Â