The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

D-m2m3AXYAAdJog?format=jpg&name=medium

So given that's the lowest polling score since records began for Labour, supposedly opposing a historically incompetent Government, for the various Labour supporters on here what is the way to solve it?

As what Labour is currently selling, it seems that people don't want to buy it. So presumably they need to change something.

• Like 1

I don't speak for everyone, but as a traditional and former voter they lost me with ineffective opposition. Their lamentable brexit stance and burying their head in the sand on anti semitism. Corbyns cheerleaders in Momentum acting like a pack of dogs, but mainly the weakest leader in my memory.

That's me though. Others may have a nuanced explanation. Former Labour supporters I have talked to pin it on Brexit stance and a dislike of Corbyn. 

• Like 3

I'd be interested to see some comparative polls by companies other than YouGov, who have a track record of punting Labour the lowest of any pollsters.

Anywho... What would stop me voting Labour? I would want them to overtly support a Remain position. Their Brexit policy has been a mess of trying to court 2 sides of the debate that they only now are starting to solidify, unfortunately the narrative has become them fudging for so long it'll take a far stronger message to be revealed for it to change, even though Corbyn and the party has made moves that generally should be pleasing to non-Brexiteers but the struggle to get there and the strength of that narrative means it falls short.

I don't think Corbyn is a terribly good leader. He's had a very difficult task as leader, having half of his party hate him without quarter and an overtly hostile media that has veered between plain bias and a grim undercurrent of outright disdain. The anti-Semitism thing has been ridiculous. But, irrespective of all that, he's not been able to play the media game. He been dealt bad hands but played them badly too in many cases.

And of course the party being so divided, if you take Corbyn out of the equation, makes voting for them a fools errand. Much like the Tories, Brexit has torn them apart. They've managed to frame it as a break over the leader, but it runs deeper than that.

But yes. I wouldn't vote Labour at the moment, though I rarely vote for parties anyway. I am more sympathetic to Corbyn than many but still see him as a poor choice (a better choice than any Tory, but that's a low bar). He's an idealistic old school leftie who isn't very savvy. He doesn't play the political game very well, which on the one hand is likeable but on the other is stupid as everyone else IS playing the game. He doesn't do well with media, which has made a particularly hostile press have a field day with him and made it worse. And he's headed up a naive response to the biggest political hot potato of our time that has completely buggered him.

I haven't seen anyone apart from Jess Phillips from Labour in about 6 months :lol:  

Is Corbyn dead somewhere? 

How is he not making a mockery of the Tories at this moment?  It's an open goal! 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

How is he not making a mockery of the Tories at this moment?  It's an open goal! 

To be fair to him, he doesn't need to - they keep scoring own goals.

But yeah, he's incompetent as a leader. (sorry if I've mentioned that previously).

5 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I haven't seen anyone apart from Jess Phillips from Labour in about 6 months :lol:  

That probably explains the drop in support to 18% :) 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The way she talks about herself would make Narcissus blush. 

I expect she's heard the phrase "Coming the big I am", but she doesn't appear to have learned the lesson it aims to convey.

• Like 1

It's a shame she's too busy; I would like to hear what she actually stands for, which certainly doesn't seem to be anything in the actual manifesto, but it seems quite amorphous to me. However, it really would be good if all these malcontents could find one person who *is* prepared to step up and have an actual campaign. 

4 hours ago, ml1dch said:

A solid 4% of the vote, down from 20% in the Trowbridge council by-election.

If there's one place in the country you'd expect Labour to be killing it, it's Trowbridge council. 

56 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

If there's one place in the country you'd expect Labour to be killing it, it's Trowbridge council. 

Regardless of whether it is somewhere they should be winning or not, presumably you'd hope / expect them not to be 16 points down on their previous share of the vote? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Regardless of whether it is somewhere they should be winning or not, presumably you'd hope / expect them not to be 16 points down on their previous share of the vote? 

Since I don't live in Trowbridge, it makes no difference to me whatsoever. You might be forgetting that when council elections were held across most of the country in 2017, the results were not at all predictive for a general election held mere weeks later. Maybe that won't be the case again, but regardless you cannot predict anything meaningful at all from *one council byelection*. 

The Tory vote split in Trowbridge Dyhnaham between their candidate and the Independant who just happens to have been the Tory candidate in 2017 but that means that some of the normal Tories voted LibDema as did pretty much all of Labours and you'd imagine some party members at that low a figure for them

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

.... regardless you cannot predict anything meaningful at all from *one council byelection*. 

Labour have just lost the Rhondda council to Plaid Cymru.

A predominantly english speaking Welsh Valley. That is exactly where you would be expecting Labour to be 'killing it'. But their special blend of local and national incompetence has seen them lose the Rhondda.

Too busy worrying about losing votes to Farage to notice how far they've drifted from having any actual belief or drive.

At what point will there be enough clues?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Labour have just lost the Rhondda council to Plaid Cymru.

A predominantly english speaking Welsh Valley. That is exactly where you would be expecting Labour to be 'killing it'. But their special blend of local and national incompetence has seen them lose the Rhondda.

Too busy worrying about losing votes to Farage to notice how far they've drifted from having any actual belief or drive.

At what point will there be enough clues?

But but yougov.

• Haha 2

Â