The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

49 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'd never really heard what he had to say before, and then I discovered he was articulate and thoughtful and spoke with conviction.

so did Hitler ..and  the similarities don't end there either  :)

F*** Me!

Laura Smith, MP for Crewe and Nantwich has called for a "General Strike" from a combined Union and Labour movement to bring the government down and get a General Election

Is she a retard or am I acting in Jez and John's Most UNexcellent Adventure?

Words are absolutely failing me. These people are a danger to themselves let alone us

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I know I'd rather have someone like Corbyn watching my back than a guy like Boris or Mogg.

tbf Mogg wouldn't watch your back , that's manual work ... he'd get his butler to watch it for him

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45651033

A Labour MP who called for a general strike to bring down the government unless there is a general election "got a little bit carried away", the party's deputy leader says.

Laura Smith was applauded - including by shadow justice secretary Richard Burgon - after her comments at Momentum's conference in Liverpool.

2 hours ago, blandy said:

The first word of that is the key. If . And the last sentence, too.

That's why they're there :thumb:

However the first one isn't really in question is it?

Grenfell Inquiry: No-one should have lived there, says fire chief

:snip:

"The building was so horrendous several hours later that I think no-one should have lived in the building," he said.

The inquiry also heard from assistant commissioner Andrew Roe, who described what he believed were failings in the facade and the internal compartments that were meant to prevent fire spreading.

Grenfell Inquiry: No-one should have lived there, says fire chief, 25 September 2018 - BBC

I'm sure the rules could be tighter, and I'm certain they could be better enforced. I also seem to recall that Grenfell was said to be non-compliant in several ways with the rules on cladding etc.

So am I. It does appear that that was a massive part of the problem in this case. On top of the fact that the cladding itself was being mis-sold.

As a general point it's often the case that it's not so much new laws or rules needed as exisiting rules not being adhered with and not be enforeced and non-complaince not being adequately punished.

100% agree.

To get back on topic, a significant part of the reasons for that is that the tories back in 2010 and ever since hacked away at the various enforcement bodies and their budgets, making it essentially a free hit for businesses and people to ignore safety and pollution and health related laws and standards. It was said to be due to "austerity" but was nothing more than an ideologically driven assault around the notion that the state shouldn't tell businesses what to do, or not to do and that removing this burden would be "good".

I would trace it back much further myself, than the last remembered Tory bunch. Often a trite response, but in this case totally acceptable to point the finger at Thatcher and the dismantling of the public housing stock imo. Whatever has been done since then is a continuation of the policies and ideology of her tenure. Relaxing the rules or not upholding them is only a part of the story. It may be the part of the Grenfell story that end up in some litigation and a court case to 'win' - whatever that means given the context. But if the question is not "Who can we legally hold responsible?" but "Is this the best/cheapest/most efficient/socially responsible way we can provide social housing in the UK in 2018?" then I doubt anyone's vote would be for public/private partnerships/Quangos etc that serve the purpose of devolving legal responsibility. Or allowing profiteering on the back of substandard conditions.

Sometimes it's not about party politics or indeed whose ideology is better. But simply that we're not doing this right. The 72 deaths should be testament to that.

Hence me questioning whether the post I was quoting was really making the point they thought it was. The implication I took, was it was an area the poster could see little we could improve upon from the status quo due to the 'strictness' of current legislation.

The sad reality is that over a year on kids going to uni in various halls are living behind the exact same cladding.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2018/sep/20/student-buildings-still-covered-in-grenfell-style-cladding

Student buildings still covered in Grenfell-style cladding

Fifty-four student residential towers have material similar to that at Grenfell Tower

Thousands of students arriving at university for freshers’ week face sleeping in high-rise accommodation wrapped in combustible Grenfell-style cladding, the government has admitted.

Fifty-four privately owned student residential towers in England remain clad in aluminium composite material similar to that which helped spread the fire at Grenfell Tower 15 months ago, claiming 72 lives. The extent of the problem was revealed in figures released on Thursday by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government.

Only eight of the 62 student towers rising over 18 metres and using material that officials said breached building regulations have so far been completely fixed, according to the data. Remediation plans were unclear for 23 of the towers, officials said.

Hundreds of students live in each tower, many of which were built with funding from international investors.

The National Union of Students has said the buildings should not be used until they have been repaired and called for a full list of the affected premises to be published.

The government has refused to make public which towers have been wrapped in the cladding. It has declined a request by the Guardian under the Freedom of Information Act to reveal the whereabouts of the 468 high-rise buildings in England with failed cladding.

It admitted there was “public interest in transparency with respect to buildings’ safety” but said disclosing the information could endanger the mental and physical health of people living in the buildings and could compromise their safety. It would only say roughly how many affected buildings there were in each local authority area.

The officials said residents in affected buildings had been notified and so the public interest in occupiers being made aware had been addressed. Some councils have taken a different position and published the names and addresses of affected buildings. Observers have argued that visitors to the buildings, including delivery couriers and workmen, also had a right to know.

“It’s absolutely appalling,” said Eva Crossan Jory, the NUS vice-president for welfare. “It’s incredibly concerning to see private providers gambling with student lives.”

The Office for Students called for urgent checks of the halls of residence. “We would hope that the local fire authority and the Health and Safety Executive checks these blocks urgently to reassure students of their safety,” said the the higher education regulator’s chief executive, Nicola Dandridge.

So I say again - the way we do things now is not fit for purpose. Whatever the rules are, Wherever they are drawn up or enforced or indeed not enforced. It's just not right. I'm positive we can do better.

Edited by VILLAMARV
logistics. oops. sorry

6 hours ago, bickster said:

F*** Me!

Laura Smith, MP for Crewe and Nantwich has called for a "General Strike" from a combined Union and Labour movement to bring the government down and get a General Election

Is she a retard or am I acting in Jez and John's Most UNexcellent Adventure?

Words are absolutely failing me. These people are a danger to themselves let alone us

It was at a fringe meeting.

Let's see if stuff said by back bench tories at tory fringe meetings gets equal billing all over the BBC, shall we.

7 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Had this crazy dream last night  .... I was walking down ayellow brick road meet this scarecrow called Diane who only wanted a brain , then I , came across an evil witch who was only trying to kill me in order to bring about peace before I finally met this nice Wizard who promised me and my friends all sorts of things he couldn't fulfil  ,  before my dog pulled back this curtain to reveal the wizard was a bloke in corduroys with soup spilt down his shirt   ...

then I woke up to find it was all an aspiration and not an actual dream

I also had a dream

DoB0DV1XUAEdzGV.jpg

Boris-Johnson-Brexit-news-latest-Donald-

Sajid-Javid-stands-outside-the-Home-Offi

0_Secretary-of-State-for-International-T

003_400x400.jpg

OccasionalCoolHog-max-1mb.gif

I can't say it was the best dream I've ever had.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Let's see if stuff said by back bench tories at tory fringe meetings gets equal billing all over the BBC, shall we.

If i recall there were many VT'ers who jumped all over something that was said at a Tory fringe meeting last year  .. it's not quite the BBC but then I myself value VT over the BBC for its opinions anyway :)

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I also had a dream

DoB0DV1XUAEdzGV.jpg

Boris-Johnson-Brexit-news-latest-Donald-

Sajid-Javid-stands-outside-the-Home-Offi

0_Secretary-of-State-for-International-T

003_400x400.jpg

OccasionalCoolHog-max-1mb.gif

I can't say it was the best dream I've ever had.

it's like one of those picture rounds at Pub quizes , glad I didn't play my joker on this round

1) Joseph and Magda Goebbels

2)Walter the softy

3)Cartman

4) actually don't know who he is

5)The Hood

6)Disgraced Former Defence Secretary Liam Fox

7)Grant Shapps

8 ) Peter Crouch

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

If i recall there were many VT'ers who jumped all over something that was said at a Tory fringe meeting last year  .. it's not quite the BBC but then I myself value VT over the BBC for its opinions anyway :)

The one that I remember getting a fair bit of traction was the one where the erstwhile Foreign Secretary was laughing about dead Libyans.

I'd argue that is slightly more newsworthy given the content and the speaker.

Just now, ml1dch said:

The one that I remember getting a fair bit of traction was the one where the erstwhile Foreign Secretary was laughing about dead Libyans.

I'd argue that is slightly more newsworthy given the content and the speaker.

no , wasn't that one

it was more along the lines of something that wasn't said at a Fringe meeting but everyone knew they meant to say it it because someone who wasn't there  briefed a journalist who didn't go to it

but this is the media are biased against Corbyn thread and we are probably going a little sideways now

Just now, tonyh29 said:

it's like one of those picture rounds at Pub quizes , glad I didn't play my joker on this round

1) Joseph and Magda Goebbels

2)Walter the softy

3)Cartman

4) actually don't know who he is

5)The Hood

6)Disgraced Former Defence Secretary Liam Fox

7)Grant Shapps

8 ) Peter Crouch

you've done well, but  it's beatable...

4 is the guy Cartman met with just before his latest stupid racist outburst, which I'm sure was an absolute coincidence 

Just now, tonyh29 said:

no , wasn't that one

it was more along the lines of something that wasn't said at a Fringe meeting but everyone knew they meant to say it it because someone who wasn't there  briefed a journalist who didn't go to it

but this is the media are biased against Corbyn thread and we are probably going a little sideways now

that wasn't a fringe meeting, that was a secretary of state at the main podium

bit different

29 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Quite frankly I don't care if it was said in the toilet of Philharmonic Pub to the drunk who sits in the corner every night. That she even entertained the thought is a massive worry

That's outright Trotskyist talk and as left leaning, as I am, no thanks

Â