The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

By who?

The FBPE crowd, the smug middle class centrist dad crowd, more than a few MPs who have very carefully but clearly stated how proud they were not to put Corbyn in Number 10, the rabid anti-Semitism screamers... There's some crossover of course. And basically every media outlet.

They helped to get us this. Now they're in charge. They're very happy. There would be an interesting karmic experiment if the position was to flip and repeat next time.

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

A number of Labour members and alleged supporters at the last election decided a Tory victory was better than a Labour one and acted to achieve this - be that actual party figures actively acting against it or 'just staying home'.

I'd suggest that this was actually more likely that Labour Remain voters refusing to to vote for a party seemingly complicit in "getting brexit done"

And... Labour Leave voters refusing to vote for a party that was "going to wreck Brexit"

Such was the importance of Brexit in the 2019 election AND such was the confusion from the Labour Party over its actual policy on Brexit.

_110132032_optimised-sharechange.euref.c

Did it affect the overall result? Hard to say but the "stay at home" Labour non-vote occurred in seats where Labour were relatively strong

On 05/12/2023 at 09:40, Wainy316 said:

I'm of the mind set that those Tory words removed have to be removed and punished under absolutely any circumstances and then worry about the rest later.

Me too - but I think it's obvious enough at this point that the Tories have annoyed so much of the country through their three channels of personality, policy and pilfering that they quite clearly aren't going to be getting another term - it's as likely as Luton qualifying for the Champions league. I think we should be starting to worry about the rest now - and the rest is Starmer.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Me too - but I think it's obvious enough at this point that the Tories have annoyed so much of the country through their three channels of personality, policy and pilfering that they quite clearly aren't going to be getting another term - it's as likely as Luton qualifying for the Champions league. I think we should be starting to worry about the rest now - and the rest is Starmer.

Its important tonight, with the news that the immigration bill might possibly be in trouble again, that Starmer  does something to attract the Britain First voters, just to stop any sort of right wing coalition of fascists. He probably wouldn’t need to mean what he only appears to promise, just say something that makes fascists think he’s a fascist.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I noted labours suggested approach to getting long term school absentees back is free school breakfast.

While I think making sure every kid is fed is really important, I just don't understand the logic. If parents haven't been sending kids to school, or children have been playing truant for a long time, why will more school change that. Help me understand the link.

Once again I have to go to previous pages in order to find the Labour thread. What a state. So Starmer is fully on board the Tory train, support what they do at all costs. Including Yemen. At the next election we have a choice between the same people just one daring to be different side is saying they do this shit better. What a shit show our country has to contend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

...Starmer is fully on board the Tory train, support what they do at all costs. Including Yemen. At the next election we have a choice between the same people...

Look, they're not "my team", but that's ludicrous. I get the cynicism about politics, but anyone who looks at any kind of detail, cannot remotely think  Starmer, or Labour are "on the Tory train".

• Like 2

4 hours ago, blandy said:

Look, they're not "my team", but that's ludicrous. I get the cynicism about politics, but anyone who looks at any kind of detail, cannot remotely think  Starmer, or Labour are "on the Tory train".

On the presumption Labour win an election in 2024, what do you think will be the most obvious and clear changes of direction or points of difference between what we have now and what we might have in 2029?

I don’t mean less nasty or thieving people in ministerial posts, or tweeking of budgets and borrowing projections, but actual tangible different political direction on something substantial. 

I’ve sort of lost interest for a while now and just cynically presume there won’t be a change. Nothing beyond management style, deckchair reconfiguration, and then as we approach the 2029 election, some promises around future aspirations.  

29 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

On the presumption Labour win an election in 2024, what do you think will be the most obvious and clear changes of direction or points of difference between what we have now and what we might have in 2029?

I don’t mean less nasty or thieving people in ministerial posts, or tweeking of budgets and borrowing projections, but actual tangible different political direction on something substantial. 

I’ve sort of lost interest for a while now and just cynically presume there won’t be a change. Nothing beyond management style, deckchair reconfiguration, and then as we approach the 2029 election, some promises around future aspirations.  

I'm hoping I might be able to get a Doctors appointment. 

Maybe a few less old people thrown on the scrapheap. 

Work with Europe to evolve a mutually beneficial trading relationship. 

Develop an actual industrial strategy. 

Allow land based wind turbines so we can actually benefit from the cheapest form of electricity generation that exists. 

Stop treating refugees like criminals. 

Encourage house building. 

That sounds like a good starter for ten. 

Edited by sidcow

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm hoping I might be able to get a Doctors appointment. 

Maybe a few less old people thrown on the scrapheap. 

Work with Europe to evolve a mutually beneficial trading relationship. 

Develop an actual industrial strategy. 

Allow land based wind turbines so we can actually benefit from the cheapest form of electricity generation that exists. 

Stop treating refugees like criminals. 

Encourage house building. 

That sounds like a good starter for ten. 

And that’s a fine wish list, but I’d suggest there’s nothing there in those words that your local tory MP wouldn’t happily say on a doorstep. Maybe except the refugees line. That would be a point of difference if that happened.

We have a Labour govt in Wales, doctor appointments are a problem. The way they are looking to solve this in West Wales, is GP’s are opting out of the NHS and setting up a private GP practise where you can pay to be seen same day. No reaction from Labour.

This is typical of why I’ve lost interest in them. 

6 hours ago, Jareth said:

So Starmer is fully on board the Tory train, support what they do at all costs. Including Yemen.

I don't think there has ever been a Prime Minister from any party who would respond to a drone attack on a Navy ship with anything other than retaliation. 

Particularly as this isn't really a hand-wringing, "faults on both sides" situation (like most of the other thread is). It's an Iranian militia chucking missiles at merchant shipping and hijacking civilian boats. It's pretty sensible to try and do something about it, given three months of asking them nicely to stop hasn't done the trick.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I don't think there has ever been a Prime Minister from any party who would respond to a drone attack on a Navy ship with anything other than retaliation. 

Particularly as this isn't really a hand-wringing, "faults on both sides" situation (like most of the other thread is). It's an Iranian militia chucking missiles at merchant shipping and hijacking civilian boats. It's pretty sensible to try and do something about it, given three months of asking them nicely to stop hasn't done the trick.

It’s not an attack on us, come to parliament first. 

26 minutes ago, Jareth said:

It’s not an attack on us, come to parliament first. 

It would definitely have been a nice courtesy, but he doesn't legally have to.

And given parliament will overwhelmingly back the decision does it matter that much? 

Â