The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

7 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Only a 27% turnout in Erdington. Labour have held the seat comfortably though apparently.

5 hours ago, meregreen said:

Turnout in Erdington is always low. Amongst the lowest in the country. Go figure.

It’s a major labour safe seat so result is completely expected.

To be honest Labour have completely carpet bombed with leaflets/adverts in the area and I’m sick of it. To be honest it might be that was part of the reason for the low turn out.

And as for Tories getting votes in Erdington, it’s the same problem throughout the country. Tories are the party of the “middle class” and if you want to improve your station in life, you vote Tory.

I know it is completely untrue but it’s part of the reason why they have always been a major political party. Until that stereotype is broken, they will always be there or there about.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

The most surprising thing for me about this result is that Hamilton is the first black MP in Birmingham. 

I reread a number of times as I thought, well that's a nonsense. Not a nonsense at all, very surprising. 

8 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Only a 27% turnout in Erdington. Labour have held the seat comfortably though apparently.

I am not sure this is good news.

It seems a sign that the electorate have run out of parties worth voting for, and are stuck between choosing a shambolic government in power or an even more shambolic opposition.

The fact that Labour continue to hold the seat just indicates that Erdington continues to decline as it has for more that fifty years.

The High Street bears all the marks of every community in decline, with its collection of pound shops and cash converters, with out-reach volunteers handing out leaflets on a variety of promised solutions to deal with issues from crime, drug addiction and suicide.

The fact that it is a Labour shoo-in is nothing to be celebrated, as it just indicates that it is yet another blighted commiunity of multiple-occupancy housing, and desperate people.

Just like Beasley Street, it is a sociologist's paradise.

51 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I am not sure this is good news.

It seems a sign that the electorate have run out of parties worth voting for, and are stuck between choosing a shambolic government in power or an even more shambolic opposition.

The fact that Labour continue to hold the seat just indicates that Erdington continues to decline as it has for more that fifty years.

The High Street bears all the marks of every community in decline, with its collection of pound shops and cash converters, with out-reach volunteers handing out leaflets on a variety of promised solutions to deal with issues from crime, drug addiction and suicide.

The fact that it is a Labour shoo-in is nothing to be celebrated, as it just indicates that it is yet another blighted commiunity of multiple-occupancy housing, and desperate people.

Just like Beasley Street, it is a sociologist's paradise.

I just think it’s a sign that local politics is not very important right now.

16 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I just think it’s a sign that local politics is not very important right now.

And that it’s a by-election in a safe seat with a traditionally low turnout which only one party really campaigned in

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

And that it’s a by-election in a safe seat with a traditionally low turnout which only one party really campaigned in

Not according to the people I know, who claim that they have never received so much direct mail, from four candidates, and a knock on the door by someone from the Tory party.

12 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Not according to the people I know, who claim that they have never received so much direct mail, from four candidates, and a knock on the door by someone from the Tory party.

local party workers obviously campaigned, they concentrate on "their" areas

Some people upthread claiming they were "bombarded" with Labour leaflets

If this by-election was actually campaigned in properly, I'd have realised before someone posted in this thread last night that the by-election was yesterday. Not a hint of it on any national news before the day

Even Labour didn't really campaign here.

Foregone conclusion by-elections often look like this. There's absolutely nothing to read into it

36 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I’ve had a knock on the door from Labour and the Christian Peoples Alliance(?) who are anti abortion, anti vax and feel Christians were not represented fairly. Fun telling them that in no way I would ever be voting for them :) 

A lot of flyering but mainly Labour.

I did spot the “peaker blinder” candidate on the high street last weekend when I was put my postal vote on. Managed to dodge and dice any conversation though. I always thought his pub in town was a bluenose pub anyway.

Edited by cyrusr
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Just noticed the Tory candidate has now contested the seat for 5 elections in a row, just a glutton for punishment obviously. 

He lives locally & is the councillor. I honestly thought the result would be a little closer. Alden has a really solid reputation around here and is actually very useful.  

24 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

It does make me wonder where the incentive is, for the Labour Party to improve areas like Erdington, if just like Democrats in America, they are more or less guaranteed to get a shoo-in at every election.

They'd need to be in government first to try and improve it as an opposition MP under a Tory government isn't going to be able to do much.  Lack of decent social housing, lack of affordable homes, lack of decent well paid secure jobs, huge cuts to local government funding resulting in cuts to youth services/social care, closure of libraries/community centres which will impact the poor/those reliant on public services far more, are all down to the Government. 
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:
They'd need to be in government first to try and improve it as an opposition MP under a Tory government isn't going to be able to do much.  Lack of decent social housing, lack of affordable homes, lack of decent well paid secure jobs, huge cuts to local government funding resulting in cuts to youth services/social care, closure of libraries/community centres which will impact the poor/those reliant on public services far more, are all down to the Government. 

The problem is that Erdington continued to decline through 13 years of New Labour, when money was no object.

23 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Appreciate he's not really Labour anymore, but the absolute state of this.

he’s an absolute tool, that one. Monumental bell end.

A very amusing extract from an otherwise humdrum article about Starmer saying he would take in a Ukrainian family:

'One of Starmer's ten pledges - a strikingly left-wing set of commitments unveiled during his leadership campaign - was to introduce a "Prevention of Military Intervention Act" as part of a plan to "make us a force for international peace and justice". Now, Starmer claims this would merely enshrine what is "pretty well convention" thanks to David Cameron: "That if we were to authorise the use of force as a nation we would need a vote in parliament".

But the law, Starmer says, would not apply in case of an "emergency". Asked if it would still have the promised name, Starmer replies: "No, we wouldn't call it that".'

subscribers can read the rest here: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i-would-take-in-ukrainian-refugees-says-keir-starmer-x80jfqr6b

At the end of the day, his proposed legislation was probably a dumb idea anyway. But the sheer quantity of lying he did during his leadership campaign is really very corrosive to the political process, and was probably pointless in any case given that he was always the clear front-runner.

• Like 1

Â