Bali 9 Executions

One For The Road

A sad day for humanity as the murders of 8 people have gone ahead. The two Aussies were living proof of how people can change and yet it has been ignored. I feel for the families and I for one will never visit Indonesia again. The hypocrisy and double standards shown by Joko Widodo is sickening in the extreme. RIP.

i'm not sure I can express sympathy for drug smugglers but I do have some sympathy for their loved ones , must be horrible what they are going through

Strange trial from what I've read though , they were given prison sentences which the prosecution appealed and were only asking for longer jail terms and yet death sentences were eventually handed down ?

I don't agree with the death penalty. I also don't agree with drug smuggling. I also think it's unwise to smuggle drugs in a foreign country with the death penalty for drug smugglers.

It is sad, and it was avoidable. Rough all round.

• Like 1

Weren't the 2 Australians found to be the ringleaders of a smuggling gang?

I dont agree with the death penalty, I think it holds no place in a civilized world, but If you know your doing something illegal and the penalty if caught is death, then you have had fair warning and you should be prepared to take the punishment.

Edited by Jimzk5
  • Like 1

at end of the day you know the consequences when you operate in a country with the death penalty although they dont deserve to die or do they? they smuggling drugs are killing people with drugs but id still say its very harsh, got to feel for their families.

Indonesia actively appeals vehemently for clemency for its own citizens who are on death row in other countries. The boys have spent 10 years rehabilitating and helping other prisoners whilst running various workshops. Executing people is just plain wrong in my opinio. Drug smuggling is too and so people must be punished and rehabilitated. These boys have done just that. No need to kill them.

Also, the inevitable backlash Indonesia now faces will damage many more people. It's been dealt with terribly and everyone loses this way.

Edited by One For The Road

I'm broadly in favour of the death penalty in certain circumstances...  but not for drug smuggling.

I don't know anything about this specific case to say much about it. 

You say 9 executions in the title?  were they all for drugs?

Edited by ender4

I'm broadly in favour of the death penalty in certain circumstances... but not for drug smuggling.

I don't know anything about this specific case to say much about it.

You say 9 executions in the title? we're they all for drugs?

Actually, by a quirk of fate, the Bali 9 were a group of drug smugglers of which two were executed. The others got life in prison as the two who were killed were the ring leaders. However there happened to be 9 people being executed today although one (a Philipino girl) was given a last minute stay. Apart from the two the others were not connecTed to the Bali 9 case.

I must stress also that the details of this case are IMPERATIVE to making an opinion on the sad outcome. It's a very politically loaded case with much genuine remorse involved. As I said in my OP, this is a sad sad day for humanity and justice.

Edited by One For The Road

The coverage over here has me reaching for the sick bag. You'd think they were executing two Aussie war heroes rather than two heroin smugglers. I don't agree with a death penalty for smuggling drugs, but if you're stupid enough to smuggle heroin into a country that has these penalties then I have very little sympathy to give.

As for all the calls to boycott Indonesia, these people would do well to consider their own country's horrific treatment of innocent refugees before taking the moral high ground. As well as considering that perhaps the Indonesian government would have been more cooperative with Australia if they hadn't caught them spying on them a couple of years back.

• Like 2

The coverage over here has me reaching for the sick bag. You'd think they were executing two Aussie war heroes rather than two heroin smugglers. I don't agree with a death penalty for smuggling drugs, but if you're stupid enough to smuggle heroin into a country that has these penalties then I have very little sympathy to give.

As for all the calls to boycott Indonesia, these people would do well to consider their own country's horrific treatment of innocent refugees before taking the moral high ground. As well as considering that perhaps the Indonesian government would have been more cooperative with Australia if they hadn't caught them spying on them a couple of years back.

Firstly, they were taking drugs OUT of Indonesia and not into it. A very important distinction I'd say. Secondly, the initial judge did not want to give them the death penalty and there are ongoing investigations into alleged bribery involving the court that handed down the sentence. Thirdly, Indonesia recently offered a million dollars to the Saudi government to spare one of its citizens from execution.

Add to all that the fact the boys had clearly become reformed people over the last decade and the possibility that Indonesia has broken international law by ignoring an ongoing process.

This is why I will be boycotting Indonesia and it has nothing to do with any moral high ground.

I'm torn on the death penalty. I'm fundamentally against the state dishing out judicial death, and for drug smuggling, it's an outrage. But when I think of specific cases...like the two guys in Connecticut who bound, tortured and raped a mother and daughter and then burned them alive while the bound husband/father could hear them...is "rehabilitation" really in the cards at that point? Does 60 years of 3 meals a day and a roof over their heads on the taxpayer's dime approach justice? Or does a firing squad? It's tricky. I truly believe when the crime is of such an egregious nature, and the guilt is irrefutable, the death penalty should remain an option. But I don't agree with lethal injection. Get it done quick, with a firing squad, or even a **** guillotine. 

Well it was carried out by firing squad. Far from an instant death apparently too.

With regards the 3 meals a day, roof over the head etc... I wouldn't want to spend 10 minutes in an Indo jail and if a horrendous crime such as you mentioned was committed then spending your life looking out for razor blades in ur porridge wouldn't be much of a life. I just cannot agree with murder. In any guise. These men were carrying drugs. They were not lost causes as human beings and had a lot to offer society had they been allowed to live.

Â