Bali 9 Executions

One For The Road

There's enough innocent people in prison to tell you that the death penalty is an absolutely moronic idea. If you're wrongly imprisoned you can appeal, or at least do your time and die a free man. You can't undo an execution, so if the state kills someone who is later found to be innocent, by their own standards someone in the judicial system needs to be executed because they are accountable for that murder.

obviously absolute concrete evidence is needed. im not saying execute everyone but imo the death penalty should apply in certain cases.

I'm not so sure that prison for serious criminals is all that easy.

im not so sure about that.

I'm not so sure that prison for serious criminals is all that easy.

im not so sure about that.

There are different 'levels' of prison and different establishments have different quality buildings, different qualities of activities, different levels of personal safety.

Some places can be warm, but boring, but safe. Some are awful damp shitty buildings, but great sports facilities. Some, you are never safe.

Twenty three years in a shitty building where there is nothing to do and you are never safe is hardly easy. 

granted there is a bit of a lottery to it

there are plenty that have to use bedding to pack into the broken windows to stop the rain getting on their bed

but either way, twenty three years of xbox really isn't the cruise it sounds

There's enough innocent people in prison to tell you that the death penalty is an absolutely moronic idea. If you're wrongly imprisoned you can appeal, or at least do your time and die a free man. You can't undo an execution, so if the state kills someone who is later found to be innocent, by their own standards someone in the judicial system needs to be executed because they are accountable for that murder.

obviously absolute concrete evidence is needed. im not saying execute everyone but imo the death penalty should apply in certain cases.

It's not as simple as that though. There are any number of reasons why you could be found guilty of something you didn't do because the legal system operates under the principle of reasonable doubt, not absolutes. There are cases from decades ago that were seen as "concrete" that are only now being reviewed because new evidence comes to light or old evidence is shown to be misleading, misinterpreted or just plain wrong. Add to that the fact that juries are made up of people with little or no legal knowledge, and the assumption that any crime serious enough to warrant the death penalty would be turned into a circus by those absolute ******* scummers who write for the tabloids and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Then of course there's the issues of people being framed by the police, or given a harsher punishment than usual by some judge who wants to make a name for themselves, or because the case is politically sensitive and the government wants to be seen to do something. These are all reasons why we got rid of the death penalty in the first place, and to my knowledge there has been no period in history where killing people for committing certain crimes has lead to those crimes ceasing to exist.

i have experienced prison, granted only for 5 months but it was a right laugh from start to finish. also plenty of my old mates have been to prison or are in prison, one even for murder and they say the same. obviously being in prison for murder is completely different than being in there for a punch up but once you settle down and get into a routine its a piece of piss. its no wonder people keep re offending but yes for some people its hard for whatever reason but so it should be, yes i believe in trying to rehabilitate people but i dont believe in making prison like a holiday camp which most are. i think some cases warrant the death penalty. i think the prisons make a mockery of the victims who have to suffer a life time of hurt and pain.

• Like 1

It's not as simple as that though. There are any number of reasons why you could be found guilty of something you didn't do because the legal system operates under the principle of reasonable doubt, not absolutes. There are cases from decades ago that were seen as "concrete" that are only now being reviewed because new evidence comes to light or old evidence is shown to be misleading, misinterpreted or just plain wrong. Add to that the fact that juries are made up of people with little or no legal knowledge, and the assumption that any crime serious enough to warrant the death penalty would be turned into a circus by those absolute ******* scummers who write for the tabloids and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Then of course there's the issues of people being framed by the police, or given a harsher punishment than usual by some judge who wants to make a name for themselves, or because the case is politically sensitive and the government wants to be seen to do something. These are all reasons why we got rid of the death penalty in the first place, and to my knowledge there has been no period in history where killing people for committing certain crimes has lead to those crimes ceasing to exist.

i admit its a tricky situation but im not saying kill every murderer although some might say murder is murder end of.

If just one single person is incorrectly murdered by the state for a crime they didn't commit then the whole system breaks down. For that reason alone it is not and never will be worth that risk.

Who are these people that say "murder is murder end of"? As long as they are not making the decisions we should be fine.

• Like 2

I'm very divided on this matter. Of course I don't support the executions, but in this case it's just such a high level of stupidity on the executed's part.

On the one hand, I'm for legalization of all drugs, and the death penalty is a BIG no-no for me.

On the other hand, YOU DO NOT SMUGGLE DRUGS INTO F****** INDONESIA. It's really very simple. If they catch you they kill you.

All my sympathies to their families, but its really hard to sympathize with people that KNOW they will be executed if they get caught.

does anyone think the death penalty should be brought back here?

Absolutely not.

It's 2015

I think it should be brought back for certain crimes

Absolutely not.

It's 2015

I have absolutely no idea how anybody could think this in the present day. it's absolutely mental IMO.

As far as I am aware all legal challenges had been exhausted and they were awaiting a review from the Indonesian Attorney General which for obvious political reasons was never going to happen prior to the execution.

I don't condone the death penalty by the way. I have compassion and sympathy for their families and feel sad that two human lives have been snuffed out like this.

However, in effect, they chose this by the actions they undertook.

Well I'm afraid you are mis-informed. There are indeed ongoing challenges pertaining to allegations of bribery involving the initial hearing. There are also suggestions that they may have broken international law in repspect of the judicial process.

I don't confess to know the ins and outs of the trial but will take your word on the above as you seem to very informed about it. Most people know that as a foreigner convicted of a drug crime in Southeast Asia or South America you are going to be made an example of. Which makes the decision to 'mastermind' a drug smuggling ring in Indonesia even more stupid on top of the fact execution is the punishment! 

Do I agree with the death penalty? Absolutely not. Do I have any sympathy for them? Sadly, no. I feel for their families but they have brought it on themselves by choosing to do what they did. 

I've been to Jakarta and there are big signs everywhere in the airport saying drug smugglers will be executed. They knew the risks and still did the crime 

Absolutely not.

It's 2015

There have been far too many instances of people being executed for crimes they didn't commit to completely invalidate the death penalty as an appropriate measure under any circumstances. 

• Like 1

Indeed. As I asked RV, what "crimes"? Who lives and who dies, in your opinion? 

what i meant by murder is murder was that someone could deliberately kill someone in anger just by strangling them compared to someone stabbing someone twenty times, at end of the day its the same crime even though the one appears much worse. i do think some murder cases deserve the death penalty, i think some people should not be a loud to breath the same air as the rest of us and should not be kept in a comfy prison at the cost of other people. maybe thinking about it rationally its not as simple as bringing it back but i stick by my word of an eye for an eye in certain cases. 

• Like 1

Â