Bali 9 Executions

One For The Road

Ok, so let's make heroin legal, what a lovely society we would have.

"Where are you going my son ?"

"iam just going to the store to get some heroin"

Oh ok, just make sure you are back before dinner"

"Yes dad"

Could be an interesting social experiment.

How many would be stupid enough to think "It´s legal now, I´ll go smoke some crack and work on my fear of needles"?

Ok, so let's make heroin legal, what a lovely society we would have.

It's easy to envision a nightmare scenario...but the truth of the matter is, is that when heroin WAS legal, it was hardly a scourge. If it were legal again now, the same people who choose not to use drugs will continue not to use drugs, with some exceptions, probably a spike in recreational use initially, but then things would find their natural level. (Pure guesswork here, but not unfounded, I think)

I used to be on the fence about abortion rights. I thought maybe it should only be legal for cases of rape or medical necessity. But my sister convinced me otherwise. She said women have always and will always find a way to abort fetuses, even if it means sticking a rusty coat hanger up there to do it. And she's right. That's why abortion services run by doctors should be universally accessible and legal and safe.

I equate the abortion debate with the drug legalization debate. People have always and will always seek out and use drugs. Is it not in society's best interest to make those drugs legal and safe? The amount of drug related crime and accidental deaths would plummet.

It seems counterintuitive maybe, especially if you're talking about hard drugs like heroin and methamphetamine. But all you need to do is look at how things are now. It's a nightmare. Here in New England, there's been a string of bad heroin over the last few years and hundreds of people have died. But if people knew that what they were snorting, smoking or injecting was consistent from fix to fix, deaths would go way down. And there's only one way to achieve consistency of quality and strength, it's through governmental regulation.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 4

I understand what you mean, in Denmark and Holland i think, heroin addicts are getting free heroin from the state, cause they know it's almost impossible to get rid of the addiction, and by doing so they also stop the horrendous crimes that are often commited by heroin users, and i think that's a good idea.

But by making it legal dont you think we would get more addicts ?

Personally i used cocaine(only when clubbing) for a while like 10 years ago, one guy was selling really good coke and i always bought from him, but he got busted, sent to 6 years in prison, and i couldnt get his coke anymore and i refused to buy the shit that other people was selling.

Him getting busted was the biggest reason i stopped using coke, if i could go and buy it in a store, iam not sure where i would had been now.

I understand what you mean, in Denmark and Holland i think, heroin addicts are getting free heroin from the state, cause they know it's almost impossible to get rid of the addiction, and by doing so they also stop the horrendous crimes that are often commited by heroin users, and i think that's a good idea.

But by making it legal dont you think we would get more addicts ?

Personally i used cocaine(only when clubbing) for a while like 10 years ago, one guy was selling really good coke and i always bought from him, but he got busted, sent to 6 years in prison, and i couldnt get his coke anymore and i refused to buy the shit that other people was selling.

Him getting busted was the biggest reason i stopped using coke, if i could go and buy it in a store, iam not sure where i would had been now.

Fair enough, but recreational cocaine use and a serious opiate addiction are hardly comparable. And as for your dealer, him going to prison may have stopped you being able to get hold of his coke, but it definitely didn't stop that coke being circulated, or stop someone else from stepping into his place. All that happens when you increase the risk to the supplier is the financial reward is also increased, simply to incentivise people to take said risk.

• Like 1

I can go to the store and by a 2 litre bottle of high quality Russian vodka, and I can do it every day if I wanted to. But I don't, because I'd be a total mess. Unfortunately, some alcoholics actually DO buy a huge bottle of vodka every day. You can't stop someone from self destructing if they are dead set on it. But do they deserved to be punished for it? Should alcohol be banned? 

There is also the question of government overreach. Does the government have the right to decide what I can or cannot put in my body? I say no they do not. Does the government have the right to prosecute me for crimes committed while under the influence of some substance? Absolutely. 

I think Denmark and Holland and Portugal have it right. They are not willfully blinding themselves to human nature. They've determined that it is in their countries best interest to make drugs legal and safe. Criminal gangs are put out of business, and quality of life is raised collectively.

Treatment and education are the best means to address drug addiction. Not courtrooms and prison terms. You don't deserve to be in prison for using cocaine. And unless your dealer was knowingly selling rat poison to people, he doesn't deserve prison either, in my opinion.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

No one is saying heroin is going to be sold in a store. Stop using that as a reason why heroin shouldn't be legal - Because it'll be beside the butter and you can just go in and pick it off the shelf. Decriminalisation. Addiction being viewed under terms of criminality, rather than a disease needing medical help is the problem. 

'Oh my friend is an alcoholic. It's a disease man he says. You're not allowed to get angry at him. I got a cure for you buddy... Stop drinking. You're cured!' 

That's how most people still consider addiction. Ever watch an episode of a show, and then immediately afterwards watch another one, even though you didn't think you were going to? But you rationalised it. Remember the ease with which you were able to do it. Two episodes of Breaking Bad. Maybe it turned into three one night, and you were up til 3am even though you'd work the next day. That's what addiction is like. You're just watching another episode, and then you look at your watch and you've HIV and you've been to prison four times. It's that easy to slip into it as well, given the right circumstances. 

• Like 4

No.

I don't agree with the death penalty. Lots of people that do bad things have mental problems, it's not the way to deal with mental illness.

Anyway, if someone was that bad that they potentially should be killed, why not keep them alive and stewing for a long time, it can be a bit of an easy out for some people, look how many get caught and try and commit suicide.

excluding the mentally ill obviously and yes i get your point in terms of it being an easy way out for them, but i think there are certain cases that warrant it. prison is way too easy and so are most of the sentences.

There's enough innocent people in prison to tell you that the death penalty is an absolutely moronic idea. If you're wrongly imprisoned you can appeal, or at least do your time and die a free man. You can't undo an execution, so if the state kills someone who is later found to be innocent, by their own standards someone in the judicial system needs to be executed because they are accountable for that murder.

Â