Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

We've lost Weimann, Bent and likely to lose Benteke I think there is room in the squad for two strikers and I think we need two as we can't depend on Kozak and Gabby for different reasons.

As I said previously I think we will go for two, the main target I was told recently hadn't been mentioned in the press so this chap could be him.

If we were to get him or someone like him with Adebayor on loan for a year Id be very happy.

Agreed Adebayor under Sherwood was as as good as Benteke was for him.Adebayor is a very talented player his issue has always been his attitude if Sherwood can motivate him it will be a good move.

Remember Benteke took time to settle if we take a player from abroad to be the new Benteke we need someone to score goals whilst he gets adjusted.

Also Spurs desperate to get rid so we are ones in the best bargaining position here.

• Like 1

Lot of people will be left disappointed I think. Adebayor is Def on the radar. However we just need to be patient. As ever I'll judge at the end of the window.

This.

Also if he is a mature striker as we also buy a young striker, I say go for it. I wouldn't want him on his own but I can go for that.

Quite optimistic right now.

In response to the omariqy post - waiting to judge? But didn't you say we are definitely relegated in a different thread? Is that not judging already ?

Because it's in the paper with Alan Nixon's name next to it in the transfer gossip section.

Oulare looks just like what we need, so a big yes to him, but how would this fit in with what Nixon said about us being `all over him like a rash'.

Could it be he was talking about someone else?

We definitely need to bring in at least one striker if Benteke stays (I see his medical at Liverpool has been postponed by the media for another week), and two strikers at least if he goes. Robinson possibly needs another loan, and Agbonlahor is just not good enough.

Lot of people will be left disappointed I think. Adebayor is Def on the radar. However we just need to be patient. As ever I'll judge at the end of the window.

This.

Also if he is a mature striker as we also buy a young striker, I say go for it. I wouldn't want him on his own but I can go for that.

Quite optimistic right now.

In response to the omariqy post - waiting to judge? But didn't you say we are definitely relegated in a different thread? Is that not judging already ?

Was out with 3 United supporting mates (I realise that is a contradiction) but they go to me oh my god you must be so worried ye've just lost your 2 best players, ye are so much worse off than last season. I then made the point if you took Rooney & DDG out of United's team they would also be worse, and that we've a lot of money now in the bank & I wasn't worried, one thing I will say if Adebayor is the answer what is the question?

Can we have an ITK thread again btw?

If you look at it logically/optimistically, Issa and Avami were bought before FD, CBs departures, so the money from them is still available.

Now if we buy Darder as a direct replacement for Delph, then in essence we still have £30m+ to buy CBs replacement.

Being honest, it is probably what we needed.As much as CB was superb for us, we needed to completely rebuild the rest of the team, the 2 signings so far look quality, if we bring in 3/4 more quality players, then we will be much better.

I don't see a problem with copying the Southampton model either.If you look at what they do, they generally buy players for around £10mish, Tadic, Claise, Mane, Wanayama etc, with the expectation that they will develop, and possibly move on.Im ok with that, because eventually you are knocking on the door of getting to the top, and i would suggest that we have more chance than Soton to do that if we maximise our potential.

Quite happy with the signings/links, we've had to put upm with rubbish for the last few years, hopefully things are looking up.

• Like 2

What other strikers have caught your eye as a potential replacement for Benteke?

Please don't see this as criticism, as I initially asked myself the same kind of question when news first came out that Benteke was going to leave, but I think the very nature of the question is wrong - we can't replace Benteke. At least not on a like for like basis. Let me explain my reasoning.

Let's face it. We struck gold with Christian. £7m striker from a lesser league scoring 19 goals in his first season? 49 goals in 101 appearances? Practically unheard of. To simply replace that with another player is asking us to catch lightning in a bottle again - it's unlikely we find someone capable of scoring 20 goals a season for such a low fee straight away.

So what do we do?

• Pay a larger fee for a proven Premier League goalscorer and potentially adapt our system to suit them (eg. Austin)
  • Pay a smaller fee for a proven goalscorer in another league and adapt our system (eg. Ben Yedder from Toulouse)
  • Pay a smaller fee for a young, Benteke clone and reduce the amount of change needed to our system (eg. Embolo, Oulare)

The answer to that? I have no idea. That's up to the Villa board and Sherwood. If the suggestion is we're following the Southampton model to some degree I think it's likely to be one of the smaller fee options (supplemented with a loan in case this new player doesn't pan out).

What we need is to diversify our goalscorers - more goals from other areas of the lineup. Changing the deeper lying midfield duo could help here, but we can't rely on that. So we need the three attacking midfielders (#10 and the wider players) to chip in with 5+ a season at least.

In Spain release clauses are used a lot more than here so assuming Darder did sign a new deal it could be its to increase clause to get them more money.

according to google its 33.5 million euros. Maybe we going put all the Benteke money into it ;)