Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

No that graph suggests we need to face 'more shots per goal conceded' or to put it another way, save more of the shots that are taken.  Which might bring us on to our goalkeeper :P

• Like 1

Replace your current #1 keeper with one of almost the exact same caliber for 10M while Kieran Richardson is still considered the first choice left-back. Lovely.

Hmm I think there is a noticeable difference between Begovic and Guzan. Distribution there's a massive difference, and shot stopping I'd say Begovic was definitely better too.

• Like 1

I'd be very surprised, and worried, if we got to the start of the season with Richardson as first choice LB. Not all business in the window will be conducted and concluded in order of priority, so just because we are apparently looking at a GK atm doesn't mean we aren't also working on improving other areas.

• Like 2

Replace your current #1 keeper with one of almost the exact same caliber for 10M while Kieran Richardson is still considered the first choice left-back. Lovely.

This doesn't take into account any fee we may get if Sherwood decides to sell Guzan. It might be 'replace keeper with a slightly better one for £5m', which doesn't sound as bad, does it? It's a step up.

I can't imagine we'll be able to sell Given, with his wages, so he'll probably stay as our 'able backup'.

I'd be very surprised, and worried, if we got to the start of the season with Richardson as first choice LB. Not all business in the window will be conducted and concluded in order of priority, so just because we are apparently looking at a GK atm doesn't mean we aren't also working on improving other areas.

I know, that was a bit of hyperbole. Not that I agree, but however much better Begovic is than Guzan the difference is certainly not 10M or 10M - minus however much we sell him for if we do (I can't imagine getting more than 5M especially considering we are essentially replacing him if he does get sold).

Hmm I think there is a noticeable difference between Begovic and Guzan. Distribution there's a massive difference, and shot stopping I'd say Begovic was definitely better too.

Not sure about that. Look at this hard evidence, terrible kicking from Begovic, nowhere near a Stoke player...

http://youtu.be/jsrVNd0f710

• Like 1

We can probably receive a good fee for Guzan if he were sold to an MLS club, as I would expect to happen.

I can't imagine there's much chance of a keeper who has established himself in one of the best leagues in the world, going back to the MLS as he hits the prime of his career.

He'll have plenty of offers over here, so unless he's particularly homesick I'd be very surprised to see him in MLS next year.

Distribution is Begovic's biggest weakness.

I can't imagine there's much chance of a keeper who has established himself in one of the best leagues in the world, going back to the MLS as he hits the prime of his career.

He'll have plenty of offers over here, so unless he's particularly homesick I'd be very surprised to see him in MLS next year.

I don't agree. Firstly just that there are few teams in our league that need a keeper on the face of it. Maybe a European club somewhere but the ones that would be interested may be restricted by the finances of it. MLS remains an attraction for American players I think, Bradley went there for example. It doesn't effect their selection for the national team either.

I don't mind the goalkeeper position being sorted before other priorities.

It's if it gets sorted instead of other positions that worries me.

Especially when it doesn't really need to be sorted.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/clubs/astonvilla/article4481010.ece

Aston Villa’s offer for Asmir Begovic has been dismissed as derisory by Stoke City.

Stoke rate the Bosnia goalkeeper from £8 million to £10 million, but it is understood that Villa’s bid was around half of that valuation.

Begovic has just 12 months left on his deal at the Britannia Stadium and has offered no signs that he is willing to sign another one.

Stoke are determined to stop him leaving for free next summer, but are adamant that he will not be sold cheaply during this transfer window.

Chelsea are also keen on Begovic, but the player is worried about how much first-team football he would receive as understudy to Thibaut Courtois.

Villa could offer guaranteed first-team football, yet Begovic had been keen to join a side playing European football. A move across the Midlands would therefore amount to a surprise.

Sherwood has already persuaded Micah Richards to join this summer, as he looks to rebuild Villa into an established Barclays Premier League club after narrow escapes from relegation in each of the past five seasons.

Richards looks set to be a direct replacement for Ron Vlaar, who now looks increasingly unlikely to agree fresh terms with Villa.

Southampton, Sunderland and Newcastle are all keen on the Holland defender, who has also held talks with Besiktas, the Turkish side.

Bit of an odd move really considering he wants European football.

Edited by dudevillaisnice

I don't mind the goalkeeper position being sorted before other priorities.

It's if it gets sorted instead of other positions that worries me.

Especially when it doesn't really need to be sorted.

Which we can only know when the window closes. But rather than wait, people are just irrationally assuming that by buying [insert name of someone who isn't a leftback] that Sherwood is somehow doing something wrong. It's an amazing leap of 'logic'.