Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

On my little list I have put Gil in and taken Westwood out. Not completely sold on him. I think he's steady, but we need to move on and I don't think he will be a part of our squad once it starts making forward steps

I quite like Westwood, if nothing else he's handy to have as a squad player.
I quite like him as well but just can't see him being part of a progressive squad. I might just whack him back onto the list...

Don't do it man! We gotta move on from the likes of Westwood.

In a ideal world with millions to spend then yes, you would probably replace him. However we don't have millions to spend, even if he's not a regular starter next season I'd still keep him to cover injuries, suspension and rotation in the cups. Steady IMO is better than cack.

For what it is worth... This is what I would now do after the latest Benteke revelations :

Man Utd are meant to have enquired about Benteke…. I would ask for £28m and maybe sell for £25m.

Lerner normally gives around £10-15m to spend on average the last few seasons. So that would give us a nearly £40m transfer kitty.

I’d go (as realistic as I think we can be) :

Sell :

Guzan £3m (He’s always been a good shot stopper but never held down the number 1 shirt well enough for me. Given has 1 season left as a number 2 and we have Jed Steer coming through the ranks as 3rd choice.)

Cissokho £3m (Always looked like a centre half playing at left back to me. Sherwood doesn’t seem to rate him so expect to see him gone.)

Luna, Tonev, Helenius (Not gonna get much for these three. £1m for the lot if we are lucky I think!)

Benteke £25m

Gil £2.5m (Hopefully get what we paid for, I’d like to see him stay but Sherwood seems to have his mind made up.)

Weimann and Lowton already gone for £2.5m and £1m.

So after all that with plus Lerner’s normal £10-£15m transfer kitty we’ll hopefully have £40m to spend.

Buy:

Micah Richards (already in)

Charlie Austin - £12m (Rising to £15m based on appearances/goals)

Andrew Robertson (Highly rated left back from Hull Sherwood is meant to be keen on, Bruce has asked for £30m though lol, but even the player has said that is stupid.) - £8m

We need a centre half to replace Vlaar. I literally can’t think of a decent centre half in the Premier League that we could go for. James Chester from Hull has been mentioned but don’t want to sign too many Hull players! For me Sherwood has gotta go find a centre half from Europe that will replace Vlaar. Gonna be £10m at least.

Chicarito on loan.

If Arsenal sign Cech then I would consider a move for Scezsny. Maybe just on loan with a view to a permanent deal. If not then this David Button from Brentford that Sherwood is meant to be keen on sounds okay so worth a go. Still got Given to step in if he struggles. - £5m.

A centre midfielder is needed too, not got much options there. Huddlestone has been mentioned and I think he would be alright - £5m.

Then I reckon our 11 could be something like :

Button

Richards      Okore         Clark         Robertson

Huddlestone

Westwood    Delph

Grealish

Austin           Chicarito

Can switch to wide players if he wants and just play Austin as the lone striker. Bring in one or two of Bacuna, Sinclair, Agbonlahor, N’Zogbia for Chciarito and a midfielder. And play 4-2-3-1.

Got Hutton as back up for Richards. Joe Bennett as back up for Robertson. Baker, Senderos and whatever centre half we sign too.

Would like to see Gardner pushing Westwood for the centre mid spot next to Delph. Sanchez there to take over if Huddlestone struggles or doesn’t work out.

I find it quite interesting how Westwood has become such a polarising player, personally I think he is solid and fills an important role, never going to set the world on fire but I'd certainly keep him around.

I'll be happy if the remaining few fringe players / failed experiments are all shipped out (3 down, Luna, Tonev etc to follow), Senderos & Cole while good pros that may mentor the kids, really add little and wouldn't be missed.  Then the likes of Westwood, Richardson are 'upgraded' with truly better players for the first XI and drop in squad positions.

Sadly I fear N'Zogbia will still be around year, and Gabby looks untouchable, for me they are the two that really optimise the 'loser' tag.  Gabby is a delicate topic, local lad done good etc but if we really want to change the mentally of the club he'd deadset be the first I'd get rid of, too much baggage.

We have to keep;

Guzan; Okore, Clark, Baker, Bacuna, Richards (untested); Delph, Grealish, Westwood, Gil; Benteke

I'd like us to also keep Steer (promising), Sanchez (hopeful) and Kozak (HERO).

Not sure anyone else is that important as a squad player.  Hutton did well for us last season, but I'd rather he was replaced by a younger model.  Richards can do that role in any case.

• Like 2

For what it is worth... This is what I would now do after the latest Benteke revelations :

Man Utd are meant to have enquired about Benteke…. I would ask for £28m and maybe sell for £25m.

Sorry, but it's a no from me. The only way we should even be considering a sale to anybody is if they meet the reported 32.5m clause. Granted we might lose him next season for less money but I can't see us getting a replacement of his standard alongside the rest of the spending we need to be doing.

Selling for 25 would not be good business by any stretch

Edited by Duck
  • Like 4

Lerner normally gives around £10-15m to spend on average the last few seasons. So that would give us a nearly £40m transfer kitty.

Sell :

Guzan £3m (He’s always been a good shot stopper but never held down the number 1 shirt well enough for me. Given has 1 season left as a number 2 and we have Jed Steer coming through the ranks as 3rd choice.)

Cissokho £3m (Always looked like a centre half playing at left back to me. Sherwood doesn’t seem to rate him so expect to see him gone.)

Luna, Tonev, Helenius (Not gonna get much for these three. £1m for the lot if we are lucky I think!)

Benteke £25m

Gil £2.5m (Hopefully get what we paid for, I’d like to see him stay but Sherwood seems to have his mind made up.)

So after all that with plus Lerner’s normal £10-£15m transfer kitty we’ll hopefully have £40m to spend.

Buy:

Andrew Robertson (Highly rated left back from Hull Sherwood is meant to be keen on, Bruce has asked for £30m though lol, but even the player has said that is stupid.) - £8m

We need a centre half to replace Vlaar. I literally can’t think of a decent centre half in the Premier League that we could go for. James Chester from Hull has been mentioned but don’t want to sign too many Hull players! For me Sherwood has gotta go find a centre half from Europe that will replace Vlaar. Gonna be £10m at least.

Chicarito on loan.

If Arsenal sign Cech then I would consider a move for Scezsny. Maybe just on loan with a view to a permanent deal. If not then this David Button from Brentford that Sherwood is meant to be keen on sounds okay so worth a go. Still got Given to step in if he struggles. - £5m.

A centre midfielder is needed too, not got much options there. Huddlestone has been mentioned and I think he would be alright - £5m.

Button

Huddlestone

Westwood    Delph

Grealish

Can switch to wide players if he wants and just play Austin as the lone striker. Bring in one or two of Bacuna, Sinclair, Agbonlahor, N’Zogbia for Chciarito and a midfielder. And play 4-2-3-1.

Got Hutton as back up for Richards. Joe Bennett as back up for Robertson. Baker, Senderos and whatever centre half we sign too.

Would like to see Gardner pushing Westwood for the centre mid spot next to Delph. Sanchez there to take over if Huddlestone struggles or doesn’t work out.

£3m for guzan would be an absolute steal for any club he is worth at the very minimum £7m.

• Like 4

Sell :

Benteke £25m

Buy:

Chicarito on loan.

Button

Huddlestone

Westwood    Delph

Grealish

:o

I don't know where to begin.

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 1

Scezsny

Richards      Ogbonna        Clark         Robertson

Song

Townsend                Delph                   Sinclair

Benteke         Chicarito

Edited by Supervillan78

Right.

Guzan is a top keeper. The best we've had in ages.

STOP saying we need to replace him / buy a new keeper. There are 8/9 other areas of the pitch we need to look at before even contemplating replacing Guzan.

He's a brilliant keeper.

It doesn't matter because it seems that Tim wants to replace him, so it's an area we should be speculating on whether it's what we want or not.

Players I would build the squad around are:

Benteke

Delph

Grealish

Also think/hope Okore will develop into a good players.

Obviously Sinclair and Richards are staying simply because they just joined.

Would not be fuzzed if any of the remaining players left, but not saying they are all crap, just that i would not be that bothered.

The same goes for Sherwood.

I like the cut of your jib.

• Like 1