Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

My problem isn't with Townsend himself, just that you could probably buy two more technically gifted European players for the same price.

Possibly. But why would those players choose Aston Villa?

I'd prefer it if we had a strong worldwide scouting network that meant that we could pick from a bigger pool than just Spurs but... :-)
Well Manchester City (reserves) is our other scouting area. ;)
  • Like 1

[

Assists are important for a winger or wide forward too. Townsend got 7 in all comps last season, Weimann - 2.

But purely in the league - as opposed to against dross Europa League teams and lower-league teams in the cup - he has got 3 goals and 2 assists in two seasons.

I would take Dembele from Spurs if we are hellbent on trying to get players from there.

2 years left on his contract, Pochettino doesn't really use him and says he is frustrated with the lack of game time.

Would fit in with the tempo and personnel we have here already.

I'd even take him on a loan deal if Spurs don't want to sell.

Edited by dudevillaisnice

We are in a position, having just finished 17th again, whereby we have to gamble to a certain degree on players that have something to prove, or faults in their game that we can work around. We have to build a squad, players with genuine proven talent do not want to come here and rightly so. I wouldn't.

So players like Richards, Townsend and Huddlestone, I honestly don't see how we can do much better. Perhaps we take these gambles abroad instead, but gambles they would still be. They'd just have fancier names.

O'Neill may have made some horrendous mistakes, but he also took us to 6th place signing players like these. We could use a Young and a Milner too, but those deals often take longer to process if they can happen at all for a club in a position like ours.

Now is not the time to count the chickens, that would be September 1st.

We need two Summer Speculation threads: one for hysterical, pant pissing and the other for measured, sensible discussion. This post would most certainly go in the latter. At the moment you have to wade through too much shite to get to well reasoned stuff like this.

• Like 1

I would take Dembele from Spurs if we are hellbent on trying to get players from there.

2 years left on his contract, Pochettino doesn't really use him and says he is frustrated with the lack of game time.

Would fit in with the tempo and personnel we have here already.

I'd even take him on a loan deal if Spurs don't want to sell.

Was once a talent but injuries have caused him to struggle, I like him too but I would be concerned at his one footedness, he has drive, skills and ability but force him on your right side and he can be extremely ineffective.

We are in a position, having just finished 17th again, whereby we have to gamble to a certain degree on players that have something to prove, or faults in their game that we can work around. We have to build a squad, players with genuine proven talent do not want to come here and rightly so. I wouldn't.

So players like Richards, Townsend and Huddlestone, I honestly don't see how we can do much better. Perhaps we take these gambles abroad instead, but gambles they would still be. They'd just have fancier names.

O'Neill may have made some horrendous mistakes, but he also took us to 6th place signing players like these. We could use a Young and a Milner too, but those deals often take longer to process if they can happen at all for a club in a position like ours.

Now is not the time to count the chickens, that would be September 1st.

We need two Summer Speculation threads: one for hysterical, pant pissing and the other for measured, sensible discussion. This post would most certainly go in the latter. At the moment you have to wade through too much shite to get to well reasoned stuff like this.

While I agree with this I still look at players such as Basacikoglu, Crisante, Drmic, Brahimi, Hahn, Banega, Parolo and Vogt and think, 'well they were easily within our financial and reputation reach so why have they gone elsewhere without us even having a look?'....or maybe we did but we have awful scouts/management.......but then that brings us to the OP, our clubs position when out of the top 4 is as high as almost all other clubs in Europe, we can get players (for less wages than we pay English stars) but we don't.

think he needs a few years playing up front, getting his confidence back, most importantly getting some composure, theres a decent player in there somewhere

hard to know how clement will set them up but if its 1 up top he'll do well to get that role

• Like 1